TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This probably belongs up in the Ride Report/Advice Section but since I feel a perverted "Kinship" with the gang down here, I'll toss this at you:

In Mid September, as the weather is Changing, I will be heading for Howard County, Indiana, {Kokomo/Greentown} for our 30+ annual Vietnam/All Service get together...some 10,000 campers, moonshine drinkers, bullshit artists, real veterans, and wannabees, getting together for a massive good time:

Home

My question is....should I give it a try and ride the TW the 90 miles each way, taking the back roads, loaded down with Sleeping Bag, Tent, Cooler, etc, and hope for no rain/bad weather, or say the "Hell with that" and drive my comfy Dodge Nitro, complete with XM Radio, AC/Heat and fold down rear seats and sleep in the back of it, like I have done the last couple of years.....? To this old "war" Horse/BS artist, the answer seems obvious....but who the Hell is this Mr. Obvious?:cool:

Photos for the Past at Kokomo:

kokomo2011 045.jpg kokomo2011 064.jpg kokomo2011 019.jpg Kokomo 2013 057.JPG

"Sweety Pie" is our Mascot at the Boar's Nest where we Sky Cops camp....some old Vietnam Security Police guys in a couple of our "Sober" Moments, and me tasting some "Apple Pie" home made "Shine".....:p:icescream:

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
This is it in Action. 10466706_10203095072729789_1990000199_n.jpg I found the easiest way to load is have it running in first gear and carefully let the clutch out and walk next to it and hit the kill switch when in place and have the tie downs ready to go.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
awe... come-on... a tough old coot like you... wussy out in the Nitro... ride the Tdub and you will be the talk of the gathering! Looks to be a ton of fun no matter how you get there...

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hoot, If I were you, (and I'm not) I'd drive the Nitro and save my energy for the gang and all that.

If you want an adventure, look up Rattlesnake campground in Indiana. Primitive camping. That means you have to drive through not across three creeks on the way in on gravel and mud roads. There is a one hole out house. No running water. My favorite campground in the off season. Last time I went, you take an envelope out of the covered board, fill out your name and camp site number, put $5 bill in it, then drop it in the locked tube. Camp fires allowed.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Only 90 miles? If the weather looks dry I'd take one of my bikes and try to extend the ride on back roads. Of course if you want to take a load of beer with you that's out of the question. Depends on what you want to haul and if the weather's dry to me. Cages are for going to the shopping mall. Bikes are for adventures and that to me sounds like an adventure.
But riding home with a massive hang over in a head wind with puke all over the inside of your helmet would suck! But that is also an Adventure.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I've paid that price in many places, but never inside my helmet in a head wind. Sounds like you've been there Paul. Now that would be one hell of a prize winning story at an AA meeting. Hi, my name is Paul and I puked in my helmet riding at 70 mph in a head wind with a head the size of a watermelon. At first I thought my head exploded, but then I realized it must just be the contents of my intestines I was looking through. Yuck! I'll pass on the deviled eggs thank you. You better pay attention Hoot. The voice of experience is talking to you.
I never drink and operate a motor vehicle two wheels or four or handle firearm's I just sit at my PC and post B.S. But I think Hoot in the red shirt above looks like he has been around he knows his limit.

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
Your TW would add novelty and spice to the event . Your buddies would get a hoot out of seeing you show up on TW (Sorry, I couldn't pass up such an easy pun ).

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Ride the TW but carry a sign, "Homeless Veteran, Need Shelter". My tent is a bit large for strapping on a bike but big enough after I pitch it to hold me, my wife and dog on a queen air mattress plus the TW inside.

GaryL

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All Good Ideas...:rolleyes: Now I have just about 2 months to decide which way to go.....Gawd I love getting old....these are the big issues I have in my life these days, along with the arrival of the 2nd Grandson K~Man II who is scheduled for an appearance in about 4 weeks in the Dayton Area...I leave the world's problems and solutions to the younger generations, but will continue to give my worldly wisdom until such as a time that I assume room temperature.:cool:

Reactions: Bucknutz
1 - 15 of 15 Posts