TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some opinions. I have a 2019tw200 that I ride around my town everywhere. I am considering getting a sidecar that is set up for ice cream as a small business idea.

My only question really is will my bike be ok with a 275 lb sidecar as long as I am just cruising along. I have seen TW's with sidecars but just wanted to get some thoughts from this forum in the meantime.

Keith

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personally, I would not do it. The bike is under powered and under braked on its own without adding 275# to the side of it, plus the weight of the ice cream. I'm sure if you are just putting around town it would be OK. I just wouldn't chance it myself.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
There are similar hacks hooked to Vespa's and other scooters for commercial use. There is such a Vespa rig parked not to far from where I work with the hack being a hipster coffee wagon.
As long as it is set-up correctly (and it sounds like you are going to do it for a commercial endeavor) it should be fine. Riding such a beast on the highway might be prohibitive though so keep that in mind. There is a "Triangle of Safety" built around every purpose-built sidecar rig. It is what determines how I load mine for road or off-road with gear and bolt-on equipment... staying within that "Triangle". In the case of a TW which was not geared or designed to be a "TUG" it may limit its use as a regular street bike.

I would contact a company like Dauntless to ask them for expert opinions and recommendations. They have done a number of KLR sidecar conversions for off-road use and are well versed with these questions. A regular bolt on frame by a good welder is fine but for continued use as a real motorcycle and safety's sake I'd contact the experts.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Maybe?
Wow, you just jarred a memory for me... Buster Brown shoes. Kinda looked like the Cracker-Jack guy but with a Dutch hat, not the Navy hat. And a wink.

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
The ice cream sales from a TW sidecar might be a very good idea. The novelty of it might attract many a customer.
If not there are other uses for a sidecar I'm sure you could discover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts