TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on replacing the chain and changing out my front sprocket to a 15 tooth when I replace all the oil seals.

For the chain the important numbers are how many links and 428 pitch?

I'm having a hard time finding the sprocket. Rockey Mountain ATV refuses to sell me the size I want and will only

sell me the stock size. 15 tooth 428 pitch is what I need right?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Procycle and ebay have 15 t front sprockets. Depending on how many tooth rear sprocket you plan (45 to 50) - generally 122 to 126 teeth will work. If you are running a significant larger rear Sprocket you may need longer and 428 is correct

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Procycle and ebay have 15 t front sprockets. Depending on how many tooth rear sprocket you plan (45 to 50) - generally 122 to 126 teeth will work. If you are running a significant larger rear Sprocket you may need longer and 428 is correct
These are what I'm planning to buy. Let me know if correct please.
Yes i'm doing 15/50

Not sure why this says Honda
https://www.amazon.com/DID-X-Ring-Chain-428x130-1988-1990/dp/B0787JKD6W/ref=sr_1_33?keywords=DID+428+VX+X-Ring+Chain&qid=1562625348&s=gateway&sr=8-33

https://www.amazon.com/JT-SPROCKET-15-TOOTH-JTF259-15/dp/B00A3HLVVM

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Since your new chain will wrap just ever so more than half way around the new sprocket it will need to additionally span only about 1/2 of the additional teeth, i.e. approximately 5/2= 2.5 links more than stock. So the 130 links should be plenty long. Just an installation idea if you don't already have a better approach: New sprocket and chain cut to length

However Amazon does say the sprocket not applicable for the TW. Don't know why. You could play it safe and get a TW specific one like this if at all in doubt: [h=2]Sunstar 21315 15-Teeth 428 Chain Size Front Countershaft Sprocket[/h]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since your new chain will wrap just ever so more than half way around the new sprocket it will need to additionally span only about 1/2 of the additional teeth, i.e. approximately 5/2= 2.5 links more than stock. So the 130 links should be plenty long. Just an installation idea if you don't already have a better approach: New sprocket and chain cut to length

However Amazon does say the sprocket not applicable for the TW. Don't know why. You could play it safe and get a TW specific one like this if at all in doubt: [h=2]Sunstar 21315 15-Teeth 428 Chain Size Front Countershaft Sprocket[/h]

I will switch to that sprocket just in case. How long does my chain need to be? Will 126 work?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Random info: - I’ve had good luck with Sunstar steel sprockets on a few different off-road bikes over the years.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Thought Errtu was going with a 55 tooth rear sprocket, thus my post #4 r.e. determining needed chain length.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts