TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

long time ago I had a TW, my shame for selling her.. now I want another one, but I was wondering 2 things

a) can this bike allow a GPS to be run? you know, does it have the juice to put a 12v outlet and plug a gps ???

b) I remember my TW to be very, very hi on vibrations, I want to know it yours feels like this? (high on vibrations) I know it is a thumper and will be so, but is it more do more vibrations than a KLR or is it more like a vstrom?? I am thinking of going a +1 on the front sprocket it when I buy a new TW, but I want to know

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If your question is if the bike uses a standard 12v battery, the answer is yes. Tw's do vibrate but not much. Same as any other 200-250cc dual sport bike, a 1987 tw will generaly vibrate more then a 2015. Compared to other bikes such as a 1200cc+ harley there is minimal vibration.

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
The electrical and charging system of any year TW is sufficient to run a GPS. Vibrations? Probably more like the KLR than the V-Strom. The +1 on the sprocket works nicely under most applications.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
The vibration is a much higher frequency because of higher rpm at any given road speed compared to the KLR. I think the counter balancer does a fair job of keeping vibes manageable on the KLR. The TW is not in it's glory riding long trips on pavement.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think the counterbalancer does pretty well up to about 50 MPH. Vibes up to that point feel ok. Once past that point the feeling changes. Not sure just how to describe it. Sort of a happy this is what i'm ment to do into a overworking, I can but am unhappy, pushed into, want to vibrate something loose feeling.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
thanks guys! I would like to put a cigarette lighter such as the one on this pic...
I think the 2001 and later had more juice from the alternator. I have the exact same set-up to run my GPS, which stays on during stops. No problem, unless you ride extended distances at very low engine speed like me. (Putt Putt Putt :p ) I had to do some push starts until I figured out that you can easily disconnect the always on signal lights and save more than enough to power the GPS all day during stops. Just pull the headlight and figure out which signal wires behind it have three, pull one or the other until the always on lamp goes out....recheck all front and rear turn signals. Easy! :)

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
If in doubt run with the low beam headlight, less amperage draw than the hi beam. But any newer TW should handle the milliamp draw of any GPS device. As far as the cigaret lighter power tap Damasovi desires the 12v plug is fine, but be aware the USB socket has a small passive current draw which can discharge one's battery if left energized while bike is garaged. I would recommend this accessory be switchable to isolate from the battery.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Any excessive vibrations I'd check engine mounts to see if they're loose.
Possibly balance the tires. I don't believe the TW vibrates excessively.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If in doubt run with the low beam headlight, less amperage draw than the hi beam. But any newer TW should handle the milliamp draw of any GPS device. As far as the cigaret lighter power tap Damasovi desires the 12v plug is fine, but be aware the USB socket has a small passive current draw which can discharge one's battery if left energized while bike is garaged. I would recommend this accessory be switchable to isolate from the battery.
I have the same 12v and usb, it has a switch on it that turns the usb off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts