TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a new TW, about 2 weeks ago. As an experienced long term rider (almost 40 years) who just stepped off a Yamaha FZ1, I am finding it to be a lot of fun. I am riding it almost everyday after work which I never did with my previous bikes, and go out in the garage at night to sit and look at it. Crazy I know. Takes me back to the bikes of my youth I suppose.... ha ha, I forgot how bad carburetors suck until everything is fully warmed up.

Anyhow I have a couple of questions.

The TW seems very stabile at speed on gravel roads... more so that my old DRS or WR were. Is this little bike really particularly stabile on gravel, or is it just that the top speeds are so slow it seems that way?

Are the little forks prone to bending? They look pretty spindly.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I haven't noticed that the TW is more stable on gravel than other DP bikes. Maybe it's the light weight and low seat height that makes it feel that way. The only way you are going to bend the forks is running into something. Regular offroading and street riding will be no problem for them. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It's because you're half a foot closer to the ground. The instinctive corrections are cut in half. I love this little bike too. I loved (and cursed) my XR400s. If you're getting older, this bike makes you feel younger. To me where it really shines is in the woods where there are no trails. Just wish it had a few more ponies under the hood, but then I would probably get into more trouble.:D

·
Registered
638 Posts
The FZ1 is a great bike, but it always seems like a big undertaking to go for a ride on a bike like that. I mean it seems like a waste to zip to the store down 25-35 MPH roads on such a monster bike. Your shooting flies with a cannon. The TW, on the other hand, just begs for any kind of under 55 jaunt. No muss, no fuss, and qwerky good fun.
Enjoy

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think its a low seat. Wide tires help too. I noticed right off the bat how stable it feels.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welder, where in the PNW are you? The inquiring members of the World Famous Washington State TW Riders Conglomerate want to know :D
Welder, do not tell him where you live! That group of guy's are no conglomerate. They are a cult. Once they find you they will offer to meet you then buy you lunch somewhere close to where you live. Seems harmless at first, just a couple of friendly guy's with similar bikes. After awhile though they will tell you you are "out of uniform" and encourage/persuade you to wear their "hickory shirt" and suspenders. After that it will be " Here man try this giant apple". When the drug's wear off from that apple you will find yourself in a KOA cabin in Moab with the rest of the crazzies! God only knows what happens after that. The ending to the story has not yet been written.:hororr:

Tom

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
"Is this little bike really particularly stable on gravel",

Depends on the depth of the gravel. I've got a gravel road out by my place. When it's recently graded with loose gravel, it swiggles a lot. (BTW, swiggle, swiggles, swiggled is my new definition for "hang on"):D. When gravel road hasn't been graded in a while, lot more stable as the gravel gets pushed toward the center or side of the road.

Also, the "stable" feeling will vary from rider to rider. What may be stable to me, might be someone else's nightmare!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live and work in Grays Harbor County, WA - haha, wearing suspenders right now.

Sponge - "shooting flies with a cannon" is exactly the feeling, that FZ1 was a like riding a cruise missile. I had it for 2 years and REALLY liked it, but found it hard to use anywhere near its potential in this part of the country.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, I questioned those tiny, thin, 33mm fork tubes being a heavy guy and aggressive riding sometimes. So far, no issues, and don't think there ever will be any.

·
Registered
765 Posts
No bending forks, trust me... I've tried!!! I'm sure they will bend if you run into a wall at 50mph though. Can't really complain about that.. Unless you're a(n) _________. Have fun filling in the blank guys.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welder , have you rejetted the carb and turned out the pilot screw? . This assist with a cooler running engine & responsiveness, starting and warm up time .

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welder , have you rejetted the carb and turned out the pilot screw? . This assist with a cooler running engine & responsiveness, starting and warm up time .
I've drilled out the plug and turned out the screw 2-1/2. Better but not perfect. Will change to the 130 next. Will that be good enough or will I need shims, too?

·
Registered
762 Posts
So I recently bought a new TW, about 2 weeks ago. As an experienced long term rider (almost 40 years) who just stepped off a Yamaha FZ1, I am finding it to be a lot of fun. I am riding it almost everyday after work which I never did with my previous bikes, and go out in the garage at night to sit and look at it. Crazy I know. Takes me back to the bikes of my youth I suppose.... ha ha, I forgot how bad carburetors suck until everything is fully warmed up.

Anyhow I have a couple of questions.

The TW seems very stabile at speed on gravel roads... more so that my old DRS or WR were. Is this little bike really particularly stabile on gravel, or is it just that the top speeds are so slow it seems that way?

Are the little forks prone to bending? They look pretty spindly.
As you get older - and I'm in my late fifties, so I'm qualified to judge - age makes slower bikes more fun; and simplicity a great appeal.

It IS more stable on gravel - although I was never a trail rider, I have had bad experiences taking street bikes on gravel and dirt roads. The TW seems to be better balanced.

I'd say it's the floatation rear tire; AND the ridiculous light weight of this thing. There just isn't much to get away from the rider.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No. Is there a well sorted standard jetting setup known for late model TWs?

My guess would be the main jet is probably fine, but it feels lean at idle and light throttle. I would think a little shimming of the needle and air screw adjustment would make it pretty nice, no?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took a ride in the gravel next to rail tracks on a XT250 and then on a TW200. The TW tracked threw that stuff way better than the thin tire of the XT.

·
Registered
925 Posts
On all my previous street bikes gravel would FREAK me out. I even went down a couple times because of a little bit of gravel. On the TW, I go looking for it. Dirt roads, sand, gravel pits, forest trails! I know it is the wide spongy tires and low seat height but what fun!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I don't know if the TW is more stable on gravel roads.
It just does not go fast enough to get a good feel.
It feels like you are going fast, but the speedo and GPS don't lie.
WR 110 kph , TW 55 kph
( yes I'm a bit crazy in that I don't mind doing 110 down a dirt road, but feel nervous at that speed on a paved road)
I do agree with that It is great for deer trails and going where there is no trail.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think it's the fatter tires that make it more stable. But the stock front tire isn't that great on gravel, fwiw. I just put a Shinko 241 Trials Tire on mine and it now sticks to gravel like it does to pavement. It's quite remarkable.

As for the FZ1... I had a 2001. It was a blast. But it really wasn't THAT much fun because anytime you got on it, even for an instant, you'd find yourself well above Oregon's pathetic 55 mph speed limits.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts