TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Shane. I am fighting the urge to buy an 07 TW200. I'm hoping you fine folks can answer a couple of questions for me and help me make the decision. First, will it haul me at rural hwy speeds? I hear the top is around 65 but I'm almost 250#. I don't want to hold up tractors and the like. Second, if it wont, I need to figure out how to get it to the hills. I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 48" bed. I remember seeing someone post that they had that rig but can't find it post registration. Any reasonably priced transport Ideas? I live in the city and don't have room for a trailer etc. For another grand I can get a similar age DR400. That would be enough to ride the freeways to the hills, but doesn't sound like as much fun. I have a street bike so I won't be commuting or anything like that. I like the idea of the TW, but am afraid I'm gonna have to buy a new truck to go with it......advice? Thanks

S

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm about 300 lbs, and I ride my tw everywhere. it seemed kinda low geared for me stock, so i got a 47 tooth rear sprocket and it worked great. It pushes me around at 55 all day long, even up hills. of course, if the hill is too steep, i slow down a fair amount, but ive never had any problems keeping up with traffic.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A lengthy discussion on how we transport our TWs, including small pickups, trailers and hitch mounted carriers: http://tw200forum.co...rch__1#entry769

A forum discussion and links to a comprehensive cycle magazine evaluation of the TW which discusses the strengths and weaknesses of the TW: http://tw200forum.co...valuation-test/

I've had a DR350 in the past, and it was a great bike. It was a little tall for me off road, as I like to be able to put both feet down and paddle if necessary, like I used to be able to do on my old dual sports in the 1970s. The TW fits my old body's riding style now better than the taller DR, but that is a very personal choice which you should make after test riding both (or at least sitting on both), and by being realistic about your expectations for your bike. A 200cc TW will never have the same capabilities as a 400cc DR ---- in engine or suspension.

I weigh the same as you and my TW has no problems maintaining a steady 55 mph on my rural highways (the speedo on my 2009 TW reads 58 mph for a GPS indicated 55 mph). It is a little buzzy at that speed, but forum members report no problems with doing those speeds for commuting or getting to their favorite trail head. Obviously things also depend on whether you are talking flat lands, hilly, or mountainous terrain.

Good luck,

Corey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chevyluver and Mudpuppy! After looking at the transport link (Truelight has the same truck I do and makes it work) I feel a little better. At my age, woods riding is more about seeing critters and mountains and less about speed. I just think that the TW will be easier and more fun to handle. Not to mention all the cool mods and the cost of entry.....Im gonna have to go look at it again. I suspect there is a purchase in my future

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Shane, I weigh the same, my stock 09 TW will cruise at about 60, not much more. It is adequate where I live and I generally manage to ride it to the trails from the house. Also own a Sport Trac, the TW might, just might fit up there but I'm not inclined to try it. Certainly wouldn't ride it up a ramp to find out. Have been looking for a used hitch carrier, seems that that is a better solution.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Shane,

Not much more to add from your questions as everyone above have made some good points and added their own experience. I'll just add a touch more from my perspective. Again similar body weight...and have had no problems at all with stock gearing. As I rode mine 99% off-road, I was a little afraid of going over 50 because of the RPM, but I got over that and ride 60 mph pretty easy...when I travel pavement...which is more now because I got over the 50mph higher rpm issues I had.

I also had a small bed Chevy Colorado and hauled the TW in the rear. Only thing I did was leave the tailgate down...which I had too....or put it in at an angle...that worked too. I just got comfortable with the tail gate down. I had, and still do, a tri-fold atv/mc ramp that allowed for easy loading and unloading as I could walk right beside the TW. Unlike others, and I understand their concerns, I rode the TW up into the bed of the truck, but thats personal preference.

For what you mention for your reasons for wanting a TW, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Shane...

I'm the original poster on the thread mentioned - HERE

...and the guy who also has a Sport Trac. As you will see from the photos in that thread, the TW will fit in the bed of the Trac with the tailgate down (and you might feel a bit more secure about it if you also have a bed extender "cage" as I have on mine.

That being said, I found loading the TW into the bed a little scary, especially if doing it solo. Unloading... scarier still. Perhaps if you had a full-width ramp it would be no sweat. And maybe if you had lots of practice loading motorcycles into pickups on small ramps, you might wonder what the fuss was. Me...I just figured if I was gonna get hurt with the TW, I'd rather have that happen while riding it instead of loading/unloading it.

Since then, I'm using a receiver carrier (generously loaned by Idaho04). His is a homebuilt model, built like a tank and much more solid than I would expect the store-bought models to be. I've only transported the bike on it once for any distance, but found it to be just the ticket - a snap to load and unload. (I wished he'd sell it to me !
)

As for your thought about if the TW is a good fit for you, I guess I'd say that really depends on how you intend to use the bike. What I like best about it is that it will do just about anything you ask of it and as far as being versatile, I don't know what could beat it in that category. No, it's not the best road bike. It's likely not the best dirt bike either. But as a true "dual-sport", (something that seamlessly can go from pavement to dirt), it's amazing.

If you plan to ride a lot over 50 mph, you might consider something else. I'm not a "go-fast" kinda guy and am most happy at speeds 45 mph and under, so I love the TW for that. Yes, when I'm out on roads where the speed of traffic is 50+, the TW will do it, but I don't like it. It's less that the bike can't do it and more that I just don't like it. I road a Kawasaki KLR 650 when I was shopping for bikes and though it was a bit too much for me as a "newbie", it did feel much more capable in traffic. I wouldn't have even attempted to load it into the bed of the Sport Trac though.

To sum up a long post... were I looking at buying a new bike, I'd go out and by a newer TW. I picked what is a great fit for how I want to ride and what I want to do. As they say though... your mileage may vary. Happy Trails!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again all! I'm gonna drive out and have another look at it. I feel alot better knowing I'm not going to top out at 40 mph on the streets and that there appear to be decent options to carry the bike. Part of my concern was that I have some land in Eastern Oregon and want to be able to get the bike from Seattle there and back without buying a new truck
(I did consider getting it down there and leaving it, but don't want to miss out on some Western Washington fire roads) I'm not even remotely concerned about speed off road, I'm old enough now that slow is more fun. Besides, if I want to go fast I do own a street bike. I'll let you all know if I give into the impulse
Thanks again for the advice and warm welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good Evening. As of about 5 pm I am the proud owner of a 2007 TW 200 with 147 miles on it. I took it for a little ride, got up to an easy 40 and had plenty of throttle left. I did not want to test an unfamiliar bike for speed on an urban freeway at rush hour so I skipped the temptation to see just how fast it would haul me....it will be fast enough for the intended purpose. Now I gotta put a hitch receiver on my truck and find a good hitch carrier

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Sounds like you WON the fight with your urge! Happy riding.

Oh, and where in Eastern OR?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Admiral, I do feel like I won. I have dirt near Imnaha, in Wallowa county. You may have heard of it, a lot of my classmates ended up in the Boise/Meridian etc general area

·
Registered
369 Posts
If it only has 150 miles, don't forget it needs to be broke in still.... (1,000 miles) oil change around 400-500 miles.

there is some really good riding in the Cle Elum area too....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Only from the add and pictures, but it looked pretty good from there. I've only started looking for one though, so you beat me fair and square!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it only has 150 miles, don't forget it needs to be broke in still.... (1,000 miles) oil change around 400-500 miles.

there is some really good riding in the Cle Elum area too....

Hi Woofhound!

Yeah, first thing I'm going to do is change the oil. I can only assume its three yr old oil.

Tell me of the rides in Cle Elum! I assume my snowshoes will see that area before the bike, but I would love to hear where is good.

S

·
Registered
162 Posts
Remember a dualsport and fun to cruise the paved back roads as well the off the radar dirt roads. The bike is great for it's intended purpose, as a mellow fellow and a bike with ambitions I have yet to explore, so works for me...

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
As for the Cle Elum area, there are plenty of trails to the north of I -90 but my favorite playground was to the south through the LT Murry and over the Manastash ridge and all the way to highway 410 that comes down from Chinook Pass.

Learn where the gas stations are at Whistling Jacks on 410, Ellensburg, Thorp, and of course Cle Elum.

Take a topagraphical map and know how to use it. Lost lake is in there and it is properly named. Go to the Moon rocks up on Bald knob or bald what ever it is properly called. My friends all called it the moon rocks, if you get there you will see why.

Phelonius

1 - 20 of 20 Posts