TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about shimming the needle for quite a while decided to do it. Got shims (washers) from radio shack for a little over $2 (thanks Twbrian for suggestion). Watched u tube video which explained it but left a few key points out. Didn't say that have to remove both jesus clips so can pull slide/needle out. Also didn't mention that little yellow plastic piece has a spring in it which can be bent when putting slide back in....:(. After robbing spring from rainbow warrior carb I still have I used small seal pic to hold spring down. Nice that carb doesn't have to be removed to do this job. I used 2 shims which were .020" each. Saturday at about 11:30 went on my short road test. Ran great on pavement to my low water bridge dirt trails. That annoying lean surge when going about 50 mph...Gone!. On the dirt it just ran great, nice smooth power climbing hills......It ran so good that I'm leaving my 114 main jet in and not using the 116 I got awhile back. Looking forward to seeing how it runs on next "easy fred" ride in the Sierra's.....:D. One final note is that fuel mileage of course went down. I used to be able to go about 90-100 miles before running out of gas and switching to reserve. Had to switch over at 73 miles. I wanted to see how long I could go on reserve but after 25 miles was in an area that running out would not be safe. Pulled over and looked in tank, Still a lot of fuel!! I think I could have gone 40 miles on reserve.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
You call 153 mile a quick ride? Mike, you are definitely hard core!
We gotta figure out another group ride once I'm back from Moab. Foothills of the Sierrras? Jamestown area? Joemama's back yard again? I still have a BB gun to deliver to TWBrian...his 5,000 "rounds" make me look like a survivalist nut-case with an deadly arsenal. You guys can always come back here for some easy trailing and we can shoot some of Brian's BBs at my squirrels.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must have missed the bb gun posts. Why do you have one to deliver to Twbrian?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Radio Shack sells these shims? That's good to know, didn't know that. I wonder what
eletronic nerds use them for? I'm getting ready to pull my new to me carb (a California 2000 model)
and see what jets are in it, and possible do the needle shim as well.
Thanks!
Ricklesss in Oregon

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Brian ordered a classic Daisy that I picked up for him locally since vendor would not ship to California, the "rounds" are a big jug of shiny copper plated BBs. Both are sitting in a closet here gathering dust as I could not make it to last group ride to deliver.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Get your Radio Shack circuit board component washers before company shuts it's doors, I hear they are going out of business. Gonna have to get my goodies in future from Fry's Electronics.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was nice of you Fred. If he doesn't have his toy the next time we ride together I could get it to the sacramento valley and a little closer to the bay area....:p

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
After reading about shimming the needle for quite a while decided to do it. Got shims (washers) from radio shack for a little over $2 (thanks Twbrian for suggestion). Watched u tube video which explained it but left a few key points out. Didn't say that have to remove both jesus clips so can pull slide/needle out. Also didn't mention that little yellow plastic piece has a spring in it which can be bent when putting slide back in....:(. After robbing spring from rainbow warrior carb I still have I used small seal pic to hold spring down. Nice that carb doesn't have to be removed to do this job. I used 2 shims which were .020" each. Saturday at about 11:30 went on my short road test. Ran great on pavement to my low water bridge dirt trails. That annoying lean surge when going about 50 mph...Gone!. On the dirt it just ran great, nice smooth power climbing hills......It ran so good that I'm leaving my 114 main jet in and not using the 116 I got awhile back. Looking forward to seeing how it runs on next "easy fred" ride in the Sierra's.....:D. One final note is that fuel mileage of course went down. I used to be able to go about 90-100 miles before running out of gas and switching to reserve. Had to switch over at 73 miles. I wanted to see how long I could go on reserve but after 25 miles was in an area that running out would not be safe. Pulled over and looked in tank, Still a lot of fuel!! I think I could have gone 40 miles on reserve.
Hi, do you happen to have a Radio Shack part or item number? Or a link to, or picture of package maybe? I'd like to swing by and pick up these shim washers just to have on hand if I decide to jet my carb. So, I won't have my carb appart to match anything up.

Thanks.....:)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry werloc. Don't have number. Just ask for assorted washers. If I get a chance I was thinking of stopping by my local shack and buying up rest of stock.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I counted 21 usable washers (shims) in radio shack pack.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stopped by radio shack. Closed and gutted...crap..

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Werloc. If not easily available then can put some in envelope and send u some.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How's the starting? Do you need choke?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
How's the starting? Do you need choke?
Me? Yes, But I haven't jetted my carb yet, since I've only put 600ish miles on it. Got it with under 2,000 miles just at the end of Aug last year. I plane to do it very soon, but need to get mains too. I need to do it right, or not at all. Plug is still on pilot screw, so I know it wasn't touched by PO. Once I have all needed, I will do it.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I would suggest to anyone doing a carb jet/needle shim change to read up on the advice given by Qwerty, Russ, and a couple of others. It pays to go slow, step by step. Test ride after each and every change or adjustment before continuing on to another. Have your test-ride represent how you normally ride. Don't simply run it hard through the gears to see if it feels like you gained any performance. I made a slight adjustment to the idle jet and shimmed the needle. Bike started fine, and seemed to run well. After a couple of rides, I noticed that during real slow transitions in rpm I would hit a dead spot then a spurt right around 3450 rpm. Given my gearing and riding style off road, I hover around this mark a lot, but my road test did not reflect this. The hiccup is annoying. Gerry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts