TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a used 1400 Pelician Case off of Craigslist. 3 holes and mounts nicely to rear fender. Understand it wont hold a ton of weight, plans are to reinforce below fender in future or buy rack. Regardless, it holds light jacket, hat, camera and/or lunch. or a place to lock up GPS and other gear when heading into a mini mart for a few minutes. (lockable) removed handle off of case to reduce the chance of someone grabbing it to move bike and kinda hide the concpet that all i did was bolt a small suitcase to my fender. The heavy duty build (minus handle) almost looks like it was built for this.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That is a great look. I have to admit the TW Brian was my inspiration for my pelican/tool tube upgrade on my T DUB. It is a clean and practical look. I am sure many will follow.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure who i saw it on here, box was yellow. so he shoud get credit on my box selection. tad concerned that a wack to the box will bust the fender, so i think that 69 buck rack on ebay is in the fatherday future.

one thing i did notice is it kinda limits a second rider unless i want to ride halfway up on the gas tank pad.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
one thing i did notice is it kinda limits a second rider unless i want to ride halfway up on the gas tank pad.

Sometimes we don't want a passenger. Kind of like if you surf, you don't necessarily want a girlfriend that surfs...aka solitude without being stuck in the bathroom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is a great look. I have to admit the TW Brian was my inspiration for my pelican/tool tube upgrade on my T DUB. It is a clean and practical look. I am sure many will follow.

Hey! Really neat look! Where did you get those black tubes? Actually...I like the entire setup. I want one! lol

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
It is the stock rear, along with a Kenda on the front.
I think he thought that your post of TWBrian's bike was yours. TWBrian's bike appears to have a stock front and either a Duro or a Bigfoot on the rear.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Good Friday Brian,

I finally got my bike dirty after about a year of improving its aesthetics. We took a ride on the T Dub with some of the guys last Saturday. It was a pretty technical ride with A LOT of rocks and bouncing around the trail.

Both of my foot pegs (aluminum pegs-didn't know till I received them) broke off within the first hour of our ride. The case stayed on but definitely shook A LOT !!. One of my smaller tubes broke at the bracket for no apparent reason.

I am going to put a aluminum bracket underneath the fender to minimize the shake. In the long run I will probably get a cyclerack.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Hey Brock,

Looks like you AZ boys have a pretty good group of TW riders and some neat places to ride. Keep the ride reports coming!

You are right about maybe needing some extra support for the Pelican case and storage tubes for off-road riding. A few weeks ago, my son and I were riding on some national forest land adjacent to Yosemite. My son was riding my TW with the case loaded up pretty good and two full fuel cells in the storage tubes. I was riding behind him and could see some wobbling as the fender was flexing, but it wasn't too bad.

I didn't see exactly what happened, but as I came around a curve I saw that my son had dumped the TW pretty hard on the left side. He was okay but the impact on the left storage was enough to dent the aluminum fuel bottle inside. It also pulled out two of the three threaded inserts holding the case to the rear fender. We were able secure everything with some zip ties and nylon strapping and complete the morning's ride.

There was no real damage to the bike as the storage tube and case took most of the hit. I have since remounted the case using longer bolts and fender washers on both the case side and the fender side. The good news is the case is less likely to come off again, but the bad news is if it does it will cause a lot more damage to the bike.

Brian

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Hey Retro,

That's a neat little rack that would definitely increase the load capacity of the Pelican case setup since it would be frame mounted as opposed to just being fender mounted. It would also provide more utility as all-purpose rack with the case off.

The only downsides that I see are:

-Price $70.00

-It would add an inch or two in height (I already have a tendency to kick my case when getting on/off my bike)

Good find!

Brian

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Brian I concur. It is a bit tough to get off the TW with the case as it is. I plan on putting a bracket below the fender and another in the case to minimize the shake...cost only about $15

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update....

I got the rack and have added two more cases - more info to follow - work still in progress and a few things to figure out (like turn signals)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts