TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with a friend who winters in Az. and was headed back home to Oregon in Death Valley. Weather was great except the last day as the winds came up with 50mph gust so had to hang in the camper all day. we road on and off just exploring as most dirt roads are still closed due to storms and the park service doesn't seem to be in a rush to take care of them very fast, that is how a ranger we talked to described it. We camped on BLM land on the south end of DV, explored Tecopa area, rode the pavement all the way to Furnace creek and back, then off road 1 day to some where out in the middle of no where. Had a great time then headed home, only 3hrs for me. The wild flowers are not there at all, very few. Joshua Trees are blooming here at home since I left. Was 30 Monday morning when I left DV so Spring isn't there yet.
DSCN0996[1].JPG

DSCN0997[1].JPG

DSCN1000[1].JPG

DSCN1001[1].JPG

DSCN1004[1].JPG

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why not? Only place as far as i'm concerned. Been doing it for years, no problems ever, except when the bugs are out but that's only one side.
Guess it's just a cooling thing for the engine...and having something sitting that far out in front of the truck.

Question, is there a reason that your hitch extension is as long as it is? I have a rack and it sits 16" to the center of the track... So the cycle is very close to the rear of the truck.

Jim

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
One can count on HWY 120 over Tioga Pass into Yosemite to be closed by snowfall through early June. Thus no travel from east (Moab) through park to central California. However passing through Death Valley east to west in late April might see the Park having repaired and re-opened many of the major storm damaged roads.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am heading to DV on the 20th of March with 8 friends on street bikes. First night in Hawthorne - 3 nights in Beatty and one night in Lone Pine. It looks like most of the DV area is open now except for Scottys Castle - it may be closed for over another year because of severe flooding and mud....I think we may get lucky and get there in the peak bloom - there's a week of warm wether before we get there.
Next year I want to take the motorhome and the TW there! Maybe we can get a group going. :cool:

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Donzo, for a taste of Dual Purpose on your in-and-out day rides from Beatty on street bikes maybe visit the Racetrack. Dusty washboard road but you can't really explore Death Valley without getting dusty. 1.15773.jpg Eureka Dunes are another easy yet worthwhile destination. images.jpeg All this stuff looks best under low light angles. Go at dawn or stay until sunset.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Donzo, for a taste of Dual Purpose on your in-and-out day rides from Beatty on street bikes maybe visit the Racetrack. Dusty washboard road but you can't really explore Death Valley without getting dusty. View attachment 85841 Eureka Dunes are another easy yet worthwhile destination. View attachment 85849 All this stuff looks best under low light angles. Go at dawn or stay until sunset.
Will do, thanks for the tip Fred! We plan full days in the Valley - will definitely check these places out..

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess it's just a cooling thing for the engine...and having something sitting that far out in front of the truck.

Question, is there a reason that your hitch extension is as long as it is? I have a rack and it sits 16" to the center of the track... So the cycle is very close to the rear of the truck.

Jim
It does stick farther out than my last one, the ramp mounts inward so that might account for that, not bad when the bike is loaded. I drive a Diesel and live in the desert, I've crossed it at 120+ with my camper and bike pulling passes and never have a overheating problem, I do take care of my truck. The cooling fan might kick on but that's it

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never been to Death Valley but I have time to go 3rd week in April or I might to to Yosemite instead on way home from Moab. Is this supposed to be one of the wild flower "super bloom" years?
From the looks of it there won't be much of a wildflower bloom this year, rain came at the wrong time, that has a lot to do with the bloom

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am heading to DV on the 20th of March with 8 friends on street bikes. First night in Hawthorne - 3 nights in Beatty and one night in Lone Pine. It looks like most of the DV area is open now except for Scottys Castle - it may be closed for over another year because of severe flooding and mud....I think we may get lucky and get there in the peak bloom - there's a week of warm wether before we get there.
Next year I want to take the motorhome and the TW there! Maybe we can get a group going. :cool:
I doubt there will be much of a bloom this year due to rain that came at the wrong time. As of last week 90% of the roads in DV are still closed, the main tarmac roads are open and Artist drive might open as there were at least 10 belly dumps working it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'll let you guys know what we find...we are going either way - this is a fun group, we'll have a blast even if we can't get everywhere we would like to. I've heard conflicting info on the bloom this year - we'll see! Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Have a great trip no matter what the dirt roads are like, just rip up the tarmac but fill up with gas outside the park. death-valley-panamint-valley-gas-prices.jpg :eek:
Perhaps try to visit Darwin Falls if bored. darwinfalls1.jpg
Save a little time to tour Alabama Hills when in Lone Pine? The Movie Road loop is good for street bikes if careful in the sandy areas. MovieRoad-04.jpg film_images.Par_.66872.Image_.-1.-1.1.jpg

Now I must ask Tuna if he sails his truck across the desert at 120 mph, or in 120 degree temperatures. Probably both.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts