TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Colorado soon, but in AZ at the moment. Took a nice 40 mile ride this morning very early. Lots of flooding and washed out roads, but excellent few hours in the sun and in the wind. Likely was about 100 half way through the ride, but I didn't melt lol Might make a vid later.
Plant Mirror Vehicle Ecoregion Motor vehicle

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Eyewear

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Appears you had some shade!
Going from Flagstaff to the North Rim a couple years ago, I could not find a tree on the Navajo reservation.
Wheel Tire Sky Mountain Automotive tire

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appears you had some shade!
Going from Flagstaff to the North Rim a couple years ago, I could not find a tree on the Navajo reservation.
View attachment 228423
Could cover is so nice lol The route you shared is very beautiful but desolate. Love the north rim. The balcony at the national park lodge there is amazing. Great place to see stars or lightning and enjoy beers

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I do enjoy the North Rim.
Smoky from CA fires in 2020 and hazy this past June
...but still awesome.
Need to be cautious of deer.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The Navajo reservation is mostly desolate.
Not the beautiful White Mountains forest of the Apache
But it got better after crossing the bridge going down to Lee's Ferry

Tire Wheel Water Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What area of AZ were you riding Nugget?
This was central. Back way to Crown King (6,000 ft elevation). I screwed this post up trying to edit it LMAO I'll ride up there next week from a better starting point with higher elevation. Can't take too many risks in this heat. The back way is a fun ride, but dicey solo in 100+ temps. Much safer to do it early out of Bumble Bee in the heat.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Then you probably appreciate the ride over Mingus Mountain on 89A!
Clarkdale is about 3,000 feet and the summit 7,000 on a twisty narrow road.

Ecoregion Map World Line Atlas

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This was central. Back way to Crown King (6,000 ft elevation). I screwed this post up trying to edit it LMAO I'll ride up there next week from a better starting point with higher elevation. Can't take too many risks in this heat. The back way is a fun ride, but dicey solo in 100+ temps. Much safer to do it early out of Bumble Bee in the heat.
Only went there once in a rented Ford Thunderbird late seventies/maybe early eighties.
That Tbird had a terrrible turning radius. There were a couple turns that required two goes to navigate.

Map Mountain Slope Terrestrial plant Screenshot

Reactions: Nugget Heads

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah lol the switchbacks are steep. A fun and crazy history fact is a train used to run up that mountain from the desert to Crown King. It was named Murphy's Impossible Railroad. It was fun owning property up there, learned a ton of cool history. Here's a link to info on the railroad The Story of Frank Murphy's Impossible Railroad - Arizona Oddities

1 - 11 of 11 Posts