TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the fuel tank cap to be so hard to unscrew? I have to use two hands and squeeze like hell with both just to get it to unscrew. I mean it’s on there right!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ok if I was being silly....you do know there is a lock and you need a key right? :D

Seriously though I have no trouble with mine and I do not recall ever seeing a similar complaint so it may be just your bike. Is there any signs of damage or rust? Perhaps the rubber seal is swollen and is too tight? Completely the wrong cap?

Good luck getting this sorted out!

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
Mines a ’98 – same larger diameter fuel cap, and yes, it can be an absolute pig to remove

It’s the rubber washer sticking to the metal of the tank, so a bit of Vaseline between the two would help …..

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My brand new 2018 requires some force, but not so much that I need both hands. It's unlikely that the rubber seal is swollen, but fairly likely that it has gotten brittle after 19 years. This will make it harder to turn because there is no give in the material anymore. If the seal doesn't give to the pressure of a fingernail impressed into it replace it before doing the next thing.

Use some 400 and 600 grit sandpaper to aggressively polish the underside of the lip, then put some silicone grease on the rubber seal. Try pressing down on the cap while turning. If this has no effect, get a bright light and an inspection mirror and look at both the underside of the lip and the area on the tabs that contacts the lip. Remove material a tiny bit at a time on both until the cap turns without quite so much force. Put some masking tape on the hole so you don't get any metal powder in the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll try a little Vaseline around the rubber gasket. I bet that’s what the problem is.

A side note, I did my first oil and filter change on the bike today too. I could not get the drain plug off with a 3/8 ratchet. So I took the foot peg off and tried using a cordless impact and that wouldn’t budge it either! I ended up having to use a long breaker bar and a 6pt socket and that did the trick. I put it back on to 29 ft/lbs instead of the 31 that the manual says.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
As listed twice above I put Vaseline on the top lip of the tank which lubricates the seal. When it starts feeling to tight again I reapply. I also put some Vaseline inside the filler neck very lightly just to prevent rust.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Mines a ’98 — same larger diameter fuel cap, and yes, it can be an absolute pig to remove

It’s the rubber washer sticking to the metal of the tank, so a bit of Vaseline between the two would help …..
Think some KY would work?

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Or, maybe some Astroglide. . . . . .

View attachment 190104
Astroglide works great for slipping a tire on the rim. It is about the slipperyest stuff I have ever used but if you get it on your hands and tools you can hardly hold on to them. I was amazed that the stuff washes right off with just water but I doubt it would work for long on the rubber seal under the gas cap. All of my early TWs had the big gas cap and all of them were hard to unscrew. I found that silicone based Key Grease worked about the best and lasted the longest. It also works pretty good on the oil drain plug. If you prefer to not torque the drain plug too tight then put a magic marker mark on the plug and case and keep an eye on it that it has not loosened up. I do agree the guy who invented 12 point sockets should be shot. You absolutely need a snug fitting 6 point wrench or socket on the drain plug or just buy a few extras for when you round it out. Of the 7 different TWs I have owned 4 of them had the drain plugs nearly destroyed.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
The gas caps on the 2001+ model years are smaller in diameter than the earlier years, and my 2005 usually took two hands for me to get it open.
My 2001 has the large gas cap same as the older models. My 06 & 07 have the smaller gas caps. The 2001 large gas cap is a pain to get off. I will put some grease on it when I remember.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
You can disconnect the lock if you want. That might make it easier to remove. The lock is kind of a useless pain in the ass anyway.
Took my lock out long ago

1 - 20 of 23 Posts