TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“From April to November, cachers should be careful of rattlesnakes. Remember, of course, that rattlesnakes do not eat much. It is just the first bite that hurts”.

The above is part of a geocacher's caution statement when describing his cache hide. This stuck with me for the whole day!

Earlier this week, son #3 and I had a rare day off at the same time, so we decided to go for a ride. On this day we decided to ride and explore Paddock Reservoir, and Dam. Paddock is about 70-80 miles NW of Boise. I also threw in some cache's, which is the first time out caching for #3...and he thought it was fun. In the end I think I programmed to many of the cache's, which took a little attention away from the riding portion, but #3 didn't complain and said he had a great day.

Found the first area to unload after the pavement ended on Little Willow Rd.

Here we are at the first cache. The rattle snake warning was from this one...the first cache on the day. You will notice a re-occurring theme, which I will explain latter.

We are starting to take notice of where the caches are hidden. I'm thinking a ferocious Rattle Snake is about to come out at any time. By the way...one of these caches was name "Rattle Snake Way".

Thinking snakes the whole way, I presume this was the last person who tried to find the last cache!

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The re-occurring theme: Notice #3 is reaching into all the potential snake bit caches. Hey, someone has to take the pictures, and its my camera. ha ha.

On to the last cache of the day, and before we get to the reservoir...This one was named "Floating Cows". Didn't really understand what that meant until we got there. Black dots out in the distance are "floating cows" on the now mostly empty reservoir.

So this brings me back to the last cache. Just before arriving, we discover the cache is being guarded by a Bull Snake. I think the snake is trying to tell us "DO NOT ENTER, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK". So we proceed to the cache anyway!

For obvious reasons which will become clear, we don't have any pictures of the last cache, but I will tell you about it. So we amble off the rigs and start climbing around the rocks on the downhill side of the road, when we hear this very distinctive "rattle sound". WE FREEZE. #3 and I are several feet apart, him being farther downhill. Before I could get out the words "Rattle Snake", all I see is dust where my son had just been standing! We heard the snake rattle a couple of more times as I moved away.

The good thing is, 1. we only heard it and didn't see it, and 2. because the rattling encouraged #3 to move, it put him in a better position to find the cache! Ye Aw.

Onto more riding and exploring. Here we are riding out in the dry reservoir bed. Passed these floating cows once, but on the way back they decided to act like we were rounding them up to go to market.

More views of around the reservoir.

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now we are attempting to find our way to the dam. Here on top of the earthen dam, we find a control valve wheel.

Down here were this guy is fishing is what the control valve opens up. It lets water out, duh on my part!

Here's us on the dam. Not too big, but it works!

Although not to hot on this day, about 72, Georgie still needs to cool off for a swim.

Old spillway head gate.

Doesn't look like the spillway gets used much. Must be the drought conditions.

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought of this, have you noticed how Georgie (dog) is in so many pictures? I think she is a photo hog. But hey, she goes where I go!

Here's where the spillway empties into.

We are on the earthen dam, look downstream and see the old dam.

Road heading back to main road. Funny how the roads look so smooth in the pictures, but are ruff as all heck when actually riding!

Almost back to the truck. I don't think we parked here? Must be someone elses truck.

Got to get our "Splash Photo's" in. #3 sucks at taking pictures. I had to drive through that creek about 5 times before he got a pic of me actually going through it! At least he got one before I got water logged! He's a good guy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
you get to have all the fun! im moving to idaho dammit!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Great story and pics. Beautiful country in your neck of the woods. We have a few rattlers in my part of Illinois, but they are few and far between----- thank God. I used to catch Garter snakes when I was a kid, but a few years ago I caught one (grabbing it behind the head)---- he immediately coiled himself around my wrist, and I screamed like a little girl as I threw it off me. My snake days are behind me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Great Ride! I gotta get off my @## and get into geo-caching.

I'll have to figure out something to use as my trademark.

As for the cows, I'd bet they get feed or salt lick delivered by 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Looks like you had a great time, and put a smile on the face of lots of folks. Geo-Caching can be lots of fun (for the whole Family). Saskia and I enjoyed it alot in the Baja Bug for a couple of years and then we stopped for reasons unknown. Maybe I should get back into it on the T-Dubb. Nice pictures! Gerry

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for the Great Riding Report/Story.

I had laugh couple of times when reading the story... ha ha ha

Yes, very enjoyable photos too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I cache too! Well not much in a while. I use the same name if you want to check out our caches.

I've been through SE Idaho in February a few times. The snow is usually over the fences. Beautiful country.

We snowmobile out of West Yellowstone and my favorite areas are south into Idaho.

I think I found one cache in Idaho. I think it was a park and grab under a bench near Driggs.

I think the Tetons are even prettier from the Idaho side. I also noticed the real estate prices were really high if there was a view of the Tetons.

I don't think we're going to go out there this year but I hope to next year!!

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AXTthumper - I'm orginally from Minnesota and was mad as heck when my job had me transferred out here to Idaho. Now I wouldn't go back, except to visit my folks. My wife, who is an Idaho native loves the green back east, but not the humidity. I love the availability of the wide open spaces, like other western states. All areas of this country have wonderful places to see, I just like the fact that not all of the land here is tied up with private land ownership.

Also, because I have not been to your area, don't hesitate to post photo's and ride reports of Austin and the surrounding area. I'd love to see photo's of where other TW riders live and ride without regard to country or city environment. Lets face it, we won't be able to visit all the places we want too in this lifetime.

Mudpuppy - Oh, I hate snakes with a passion. No matter the kind of snake, my photo's are from a safe distance away. I hope I can outrun them too. ha ha. Quick story. Camping with kids, dad taking nap in back of pickup with topper. Kid throws dead garter snake on my chest while sleeping. Dad screams like little girl. Kids head for the hills! Laughing all the way...until I catch them. They gotta eat sometime!

All, thanks for your comments. I'm trying to improve my entertaining skills so they are not just a bunch of pictures. Because I like funny, I try to add that cause I think that is me. Geo-caching is fairly new to me this year. I signed up for the geo-caching site a few years ago, but didn't have a GPS so did nothing. Then I got an old one so I decided to give it a try. When riding, it gives me a place to visit, some of which I would never have ridden too had it not been for a cache being placed. Some of the places I have been too before, but wasn't aware of caching at the time and have gone back for that reason.

One thing I've done wrong, I think, is I program to many for one trip and it seems like I'm starting and stopping all the time. On this trip, it was my sons first time so wanted him to get the feel. I think he got it! ha ha. My new criteria is to find ones that haven't been found before or haven't been found in a long time. That way it won't interfere with the riding as much.

And unless you are from there, Teton area of eastern Idaho is way to expensive for us average folks, but a great place to visit.

Ya'll take care and have fun riding, no matter where it is!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts