TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be happy You are not trucking through eastern NY right now! Governor just banned all Tractor Trailer trucks on all state roads in 13 counties. At 11PM all non essential travel will be banned and a ticket of up to $300 will be issued if you don't have an essential ID. Only Police, Fire, EMS and some DOT and Utility workers will be exempted from travel.

NY City should get hammered pretty bad with 24-36 inches while counties further inland like me and Bucknutz should see between 12-18 inches. I am having a blast watching all the weather forecasters who can't agree on anything. One model shows no big snow totals while two others show a major dump is on the way. It all depends on what the storm does on the coast and they just don't know. If it pushes out off the coast then we get some relief but if it hugs the coast or moves inland a bit then we get hammered.

The good news. We are home and warm and cozy, wife has a snow day tomorrow, coal stove is stoked, fridge is stocked, plenty of wood for the fire place, New tractor with snow blower is fueled up and ready as is the whole house generator and I have a bunch of good movies to watch if the satellite dishes get buried. Let it snow!

GaryL

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Man you are set up, let it snow!

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
My son is in NYC near Central Park so I just texted him and asked how the blizzard is, his response:

"Not a lot yet. Maybe 6". Hoping for more!"

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My son is in NYC near Central Park so I just texted him and asked how the blizzard is, his response:

"Not a lot yet. Maybe 6". Hoping for more!"
Text him in the morning! The storm, if any of the models are right, is not supposed to get full blown until after midnight. We suffer through these prediction indecision's almost every time we get a Nor-Easter. Apparently it is very difficult tp determine what the storms will do once they get over the Atlantic waters. For sure they pick up tons of moisture but what direction they travel from there and how fast or slow they move is the unknown. Slow moving and remaining close is the devastating factors. We shall see!

GaryL

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yep, they say 18 to 22" for me. Already have 7" that fell couple days ago. Got about 4" today so far, startin to pickup now. Got the same ban here. I wish my bike wasn't apart. I'd love to get it out in the snow and play. Damn..:( Snow blower and generator are ready. Genny just incase....;)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Drove in snow all day. Sitting in Dalton GA

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LMAO! Blizzard Bust! I did not get more than 4 inches here and the weather forecasters are scrambling for answers as to how they got this disaster so wrong. As far as I know all the travel bans have been lifted and there is a lot of faces with egg all over them today. All the government offices got a free day off and this is nothing more than a little snow storm that we get regularly this time of year.

I always said that I should have been a weather man because they can be wrong all the time and still get a nice pay check! I do believe that Boston and points further north along the coast are getting hammered but it never happened here in NY, NJ or PA.

Oh Well----Never Mind!:p

GaryL

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
LMAO! Blizzard Bust! I did not get more than 4 inches here and the weather forecasters are scrambling for answers as to how they got this disaster so wrong. As far as I know all the travel bans have been lifted and there is a lot of faces with egg all over them today. All the government offices got a free day off and this is nothing more than a little snow storm that we get regularly this time of year.

I always said that I should have been a weather man because they can be wrong all the time and still get a nice pay check! I do believe that Boston and points further north along the coast are getting hammered but it never happened here in NY, NJ or PA.

Oh Well----Never Mind!:p

GaryL
Yep, free day off of work and only a few inches to shovel! I'm good with that!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, free day off of work and only a few inches to shovel! I'm good with that!
Me Too rbm! Actually, I spent more time getting prepared for this no show blizzard than I will at cleaning it up! Kind of bummed out really because I want to see the new tractor and blower tear in to some real snow.

GaryL

Reactions: Mel and littletommy

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
These weather people are pathetic. I can't see how, time after time, they are wrong. I meant way wrong. And, they get away with it. OMG, Biggest Snow Blizzard in NY & NJ History....!!!!!!!!! The whole state is shut down, everything. 95% of businesses, government, airports, schools, trains, subway, path, buses, etc. Get arrested if you drive. State of Emergancey...!!! For less than 1" of freakin snow? I just sat here and watched them say on TV news, 6" in my town. It's less than 1" inch. WTF? I'm right here. They are lying. This major F-up costs the state, and businesses millions of dollars, for NOTHING. The weather people and media hype this shit up so freaking much, the whole area is total lockdown, for ONE INCH of snow. They said 2' feet. And now they play it off like it's a good thing, and "WE are LUCKY". Oh, it stayed to the east out at sea. With all this so called high technology? Useless. If you add up all the preperation, tooling up, closures, etc. Billions of waisted money spent. And these people still get to keep their jobs? Freakin unbelievable. My buddy plows for the county. He told me last night, that he is on a 36 hour shift. He get's $90 regular time. After 8 hours, it's time and a half. Buffalo NY got 7' feet of snow few weeks back, and they never saw it coming. I'd be embarrassed to show my face on TV if I was a weatherman. It's just that they are so sure about their predictions. They say it's going to rain, it doesn't rain. They say it's going to snow 24", it snows 1" inch. Ca'mon, WTF...??? 40 years ago, the old lady up the road predicted the weather, and she was spot on 95% of the time. No weather high tech equipment, her bones would tell her. The weather people are PA-THE-TIC..... 23" off? Really, why bother? Big big big money spent and lost. This happened years ago. Big snow coming, and nothing fell, nothing. Cost NYC $94 million. For nothing. I think they should start adding the word "maybe" to the forcast. Save their ass. Oh yeah, it's not their falt.

OK, Yes, I feel better now......:D

Ok, now NY governer is talking, saying they will upgrade their weather system. This is to early to say, but he said in the billion $$$ dollar range. He did say the weather forecast was way off. Na, ya think...??? Yes, you can't predict weather. But when they do, they are "Sure" of it. They don't say maybe, they say with attitude, It's Going To. Idiots

Ok, blew my steam, I'm done. Need a smoke now. Nuff said...:p

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Well, that's what you get in the Land of Leftists. Move on to the Ol' South. When the clouds build we go inside. When the storm is over we clean up the mess. No biggy, and not much in the way of $$$$billion boondoggle budgets once you get out of the cities. Just a little common sense.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what you are feeling Bob. Last week NOAA said I will get an inch or less and I woke up with a solid 7 inches on the ground. I think these weather geeks sit in their billion dollar weather stations with all the fancy Doppler Radar linked to million dollar computers rolling Dubbies.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yep, I just think about the waist. Coming from me, who has no money, and thinking who really ends up paying for these mistakes. You and I in the long run, via high taxes. It's just fustrating. And they are soooo sure about what they predict too. I mean, ok, so I'm not a weather guy. I'm a mechanic. So, if I was to remove the engine, split the cases, completely rebuild trans and clutch on a customers bike, when All he needed was some air in his tires, you think I would still have my job tomorrow? No. It don't work that way. I was serious when I said 40 years ago, a little old lady had spot on predictions by how she felt. Plus, back then, without all this high tech BS, they predicted much better back then, as we all know. Yep, the word maybe would go far. But, on the other hand, if we weren't ready for a blizzard, it would be worse. So, whatever. No control. I know. That's what's fustrating. I mean, no big deal, but yesterday, I had to pick up my 84 year old Mom, so she can bunk with us here for a few days to ride out 1" of snow....LOL Just to be safe for her. I hurt my back more than it is, by carrying my generator from my shed in the backyard to bring it in my house so It's warm, and would start out on the porch if we lost power. Now, it has to go back. Just BS like that, that none of us need. Yep, doppler this...!!....LOL Oh, well.

I'm better now. Gary, I guess you'll have to wait till the next one to try your new traktor/blower. Hey...!!! They're calling for snow next week. Hahaha Yeah...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Qwerty, your right. That's how it was years ago. Whatever the weather brought, was no big deal. You just deal with it. Life goes on, it doesn't stop. Now, everyone is paranoid, and they just panic. 2' foot of snow was common, and the cars would go through it better. Now, modern cars are light, and with the freaking wide, low profile, they can't move through 2" of snow for shit. Life was simpler, and better. I guess I'm still stuck in the passed. It's just a better place.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
The Gerbils on the Weather Channel are crying in their Starbucks today....the totals and White Death Alert for New Jersey, New York, PA, just about everybody except Taxyertwoshits and Little Roadie, were way overblown....and life as we know it will move on....:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts