1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Why? 5 guys and a rope will do the same thing. Better yet, don't ride into stupid places. TWs don't have enough electrical system to do much good so I'd be sure to do some calculations. Last thing you want to do is cook your battery out in the boonies.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not for the TW. but the Tacoma.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Oh, that's 12 thousand! Stupid dyslexia. I'd be okay with it for occasional use. Numbers look good, and it comes with a roller fairlead? Cool! Unless it's an absolute piece of Chinese crap it looks like a great deal. Have you seen one in person? My son and I just built an A-frame for pulling big truck engines and that would be a great replacement for a chain hoist at a much cheaper price.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I have not seen one but for $299. I was going to buy the 2 inch hitch mount carrier for a whopping $49. and put it in the back of my truck in a case for just in case.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the super coupon it is $299.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Zdiver1,
There are several things to consider with this winch. The rated pull will be on the first wrap of cable on the drum, fully charged battery, and cables with the capacity to feed the electric motor. That being said, it will take a quality set of cables to get your battery power to the back of the vehicle, so my guess would be, you will rarely get full pull out of this winch. That is not all bad as it preserves the tool. Last but not least, I don't think your Tacoma will stick to the ground good enough to pull 12000lbs. In summary, that is a good price for a winch that will do anything that your Tacoma will .
Put a receiver under the front bumper and double the versability of it for both ends of the vehicle.
Mel

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
300 for that much power and with warrantee is not bad. I have a viper on my quad. 4500lbs. Still it is all about battery power. As I put a cab on my Rincon with a toolbox up front, before I get out this summer I am putting a 12v garden tractor battery in parallel with the quad battery for extra punch. The winch will be more efficient. I had a 2500lb up front before and it wouldn't pull another quad out of snow that didn't weigh 500lb. It didn't budge me so out with it and ut in a larger one. With more amps it should take care of things. Just won't tie down the quad from the rear so I don't stretch the frame.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Be careful you don't tear your receiver out from under the truck with that winch, what's the weight rating of the hitch?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Z, in 1978 I bought my first jeep. It was a CJ7 I bought from the mother of a guy who had come into some money and prompty went out and bought a new jeep and a new motorcycle. He killed hiimself on the motorcycle. Drunk, 100+ mph with a ride ending at a telephone pole. I certainly couldn't afford such a machine at 18, but because she was an older woman, and because she really liked me (apparently I resembled both in looks and personality, her brother who had been a war casualty) she pretty much insisted I have it for what I could pay. It was about as much a gift as it was a purchase. I had always made sure her snow was plowed and things were done around her house...but I digress. Anyway, the jeep had a Warn 8000 winch mounted on it. The Warn 8000 was an AMC opiton back then. I drove that jeep, used that winch for anything and every task you can imagine around the farm. I didn't sell that jeep until 1987 to help pay for Miss Margaret's wedding. But I took the winch off. That same winch is now on my 2001 jeep which you occasionally see in my shop pictures. In other words, that winch is now almost 40 years old. It still works and functions like it did in 1978.

That's my definition of good equipment.

As Mel noted, big winches have considerable power draw and require heavy cable. You can't just plug it into your trailer harness. In addition, as noted above, the winch under load in practical situations puts considerable pull on it's mounting system. It's a pretty rare use of a winch that is a straight pull without significant resistance. Rescue pulls are seldom straight line, and the vehicle may be buried to it's axles. You are not dealing with just an issue of straight line pull, but torque. My winch is frame mounted on a custom mount I fabricated (width of frame rails between a '77 jeep and a 2001 are significantly different) and the mount is fabricated out of 1/2" plate.

I am familiar with the Harbor Freight winches. Personally I have never seen one last very long if used. Actually, I've never seen one last very long if not used, since they are prone to rust issues. However, if you don't leave it mounted, and since you live in AZ, at least the rust issue might not be a problem for you. OK, I'll just come out and say it, the HF winches are junk. You see, something has to bear that massive 12,000 potential load. Ultimately, that is the spool, it's axle and the gears in the unit.

Another thing to consider is that when using a winch in the real world, there is almost never an adequate anchor located where you need one. They make products like the Pull Pal to solve that. I personally made my own version of a Pull Pal in a more substantial version out of a single point plow blade. It digs in when you pull against it, and when you are out you simply use the winch to unearth it by pulling backwards.

So, if you just want a winch for a toy to haul around in the truck, that unit with the receiver mount is just fine. If you want to rely on it and use it, it isn't. Unless you reinforce both the mount and your receiver you will damage your truck. Nor will it be cheap to cable your truck to the rear and rig adequate quick disconnect plugs. Mounting to the front with a front receiver has the same issues...and you may not want to pull farther into your problem (there are ways to pull backwards with a front mount winch and you can find that on the internet.

If you don't have the requisite fabricating skills, and you really want a serviceable winch on your vehicle, then you will need to spend some hefty change on an ARB winch bumper and a Warn winch. Warn makes the cable kit you will need for the Taco.

Lastly, if you do get a winch and use it, study up on the rules of safe winch usage. There are ways to deaden the cable against the potentially lethal occurrence of cable snap for instance. There are also accessories necessary for safe winch use. Also, familiarize yourself with the proper techniques for both self rescue and rescue of another vehicle. I'm stressing this because a high school firend's sister's husband was killed by a snapped winch cable. Broke his neck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Zdiver1,
There are several things to consider with this winch. The rated pull will be on the first wrap of cable on the drum, fully charged battery, and cables with the capacity to feed the electric motor. That being said, it will take a quality set of cables to get your battery power to the back of the vehicle, so my guess would be, you will rarely get full pull out of this winch. That is not all bad as it preserves the tool. Last but not least, I don't think your Tacoma will stick to the ground good enough to pull 12000lbs. In summary, that is a good price for a winch that will do anything that your Tacoma will .
Put a receiver under the front bumper and double the versability of it for both ends of the vehicle.
Mel
Mel speaks the truth, The first "layer" of rope on your winch is where you get your torque. Think of it as a rear sprocket and adding teeth as you add layers of rope. Less torque because of the larger diameter. I had a 76 Ford F100 ranger back when rangers were full size pickups with a Warn 8000. I used it for everything from pulling logs off a log deck for firewood cutting to pulling myself out of snow ruts and never had any problems with it. Additionally, if you incorporate a snatch block and increase the number of parts in the purchase you decrease the tension on each part divided by number of parts. Example: stuck in a rut with a large tree 80 feet in front of you. Attach a snatch block to the tree, pay out your rope and lace it through the block then back to an anchor point on your vehicle. Your 8000 lb. winch is now a 16,000 lb. winch. You've doubled the pulling power. I've owned both a Ramsey and a Warn and liked them both. I am definitely not an expert on vehicle winches but having been a crane operator for 22 years I learned a little bit about how this stuff works and how to use mechanical advantage to save your bacon.
I found a pretty good article on this subject Z, check it out. And as Borneo stated, it's best to read up on how to use them safely before you use it in a dire situation. Go out in the woods under controlled circumstances and play with it on easy stuff.
How to Use a Snatch Block

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I just realized I was a bit biased above (thanks for causing me to notice Hekkler) there are other good winches out there besides the Warn. I have friends who have Ramseys and they are pleased with them. There are other good brands too. But, the HF ones have proved lacking in what I have seen.

I always carry a snatch block. I didn't look at the article yet, but I will. In addition to using the block to amplify the pulling power, you can also use it in conjunction with a chain to pull to a point between anchors...sort of like when there are anchors, but none where you want to go.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Don't ever buy anything from that place than about 1 moving part. I have seen almost nothing quality come from there. I have some welding magnets that I guess are alright. Something that complex that you are gonna rely on I wouldn't even consider. I used to work for a guy that loved HF tools. "they're cheap and some are life time guarantee". Most unproductive guy I ever met when it came to tools. He was always breaking machines, tools, and himself with his HF junk. Do your self a favor and buy a quality piece elsewhere Don't hurt yourself with that safety hazard!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I have seen almost nothing quality come from there. I have some welding magnets that I guess are alright.
If you were closer I would suggest that you should have to come in here and wipe up the coffee I just spit all over my desk. :D

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Z, some Tacoma fans complain that additional weight of winch and winch rated bumper necessitate front suspension up-grades. Handling may suffer a bit , and you are slightly longer when parallel parking. Some who use their trucks as daily drivers prefer having a 2"receiver front and rear with the winch on a cradle left home most of the time, only to be carried in the bed when back-country forays are anticipated.
If you go for the permanent mount some of the new style plate bumpers neatly contain the winch inside the bumper while providing a better mount location for your nice aux. lights. I have an All-Pro and really like how it "lightens" up the front appearance while improving angle of approach..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Peterb, if you've ever gotten that Toyota deep enough to get water in that intake pipe, I'm sure the winches came in handy truck stuff 012.JPG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts