TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new hobby? I have posted R/C ship combat info before with modern battleship, cruisers and sub fleets blasting at each other with compressed air fired BBs and ball bearings until one fleet sinks most of the opposing fleet. But how about this, black powder cannons on sailing ships?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
If you get a chance to see one of these fleet engagements in person you will be impressed. The water jets are bilge pumps working hard to keep holed hulls afloat.
Best quote of the battle!

"I ain't no French Cheese eating surrender monkey."

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Cool Stuff.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
They did but you had to be a dedicated RC nut to build it yourself. I saw some in a magazine that fired blank cartridge guns.
Real bullets were possible but were too dangerous for spectators. The Biggest of these I saw was a copy of the battleship New Jersey that was 30 feet long .
Instead of RC, the operator lifted part of the superstructure and sat in the middle with his head inside the bridge to see where he was going and what he might shoot at.
I never heard if anyone challenged that super dreadnaught. It was built to scale. I had to be a real hoot to play with.

I could not find that one but I found this one, http://twistedsifter.com/2012/08/30ft-model-replica-battleship-admiral-graf-spee-william-terra/

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
So what did you shoot the marbles with? I used a slingshot, A whamo. Against a brick wall the marbles would shatter.
I tried steel ball bearings but they could bounce back viciously. The deadliest ammo for the slingshot was double ought buck lead balls.
They flew far, fast and hit hard, and didn't richochete badly. The only thing that could put my own eye out was a broken rubber strap.
If it broke at full draw it could smart some. I learned that if I rigged it with neoprene surgical tubing, it was more dependable.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
What did you shoot the marbles with? I used a whamo slingshot. Against a brick wall, the marbles would shatter. The best ammo was double ought buck lead balls.
The flew fast, hit hard, and didn't ricochet badly. Replacing the rubber with neoprene surgical tubing made it more dependable, and I could use what ever length I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
What did you shoot the marbles with? I used a whamo slingshot. Against a brick wall, the marbles would shatter. The best ammo was double ought buck lead balls.
The flew fast, hit hard, and didn't ricochet badly. Replacing the rubber with neoprene surgical tubing made it more dependable, and I could use what ever length I wanted.
I broke hundreds and hundreds of windows out in unused old navy buildings on base with one of those slingshots. It got confiscated and I ended up grounded. :D

I also had a Super Ball, once. Then I decided to hit it with a baseball bat as hard as I could. I never saw it again. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts