TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a few years I got hooked on these things doing this sort of stuff instead of riding my 'cycle. Not to this intensity of course, but sand dunes are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I was into that for a very long time.
Did quite a bit of parking lot racing, not too much off road.

There are (hopefully) still about 7 or 8 cars, on and off road, all fuel. All 1/10th scale, at my ex wife's house.

There is even a 1970s pan car down there.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Those things get great traction. What air pressures do they run???? lol I use to fly RC airplanes. Loved it.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My 4x4 electric's tires were never pressurized. Had a larger glow fuel monster truck with foam donut tire inserts but preferred no foam, no air also.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I raced a little while over seas. R/C tracked, tractor trailers, buggys, 4WDs, even played with the motorcycles. My cars did good when I let the RC shop owners little kid race them. I was good at having expensive crashes. I want to try drones out. Should be easier than flying my heli. indoors.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Do not even mention RC helicopters.

That was worse then when I owned a boat.

Bought a "beginner" Heli for 900 bucks.
Practiced crashing while hovering in our old warehouse.

Practiced crashing so well, that I could wreck 2300 bucks worth of parts in less than a day.

That was the first thing I sold on Craigslist. The boat was the second.

There is no surer way to throw money away then on RC helicopters and 34ft Sea Rays.

If I burned the money, at least I would have gotten some heat out of it.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"tis said a boat is a hole in the water you try to fill with money.
I think they call this sort of expensive toy a "Boaterhome"

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I learned to fly RC airplanes with gliders powered by Cox .049 engines. Very slow, hand launch, belly land. Still a steep learning curve. I can't imagine trying to learn helicopter flight. Very expensive. My buddies and I made snow ski's and whenever we had snow, we were there. Probably the most fun you can have with your pants on. :eek: I built a glider carrier and tried once to launch a 100 inch wingspan glider off a 6 ft. power plane.lol Epic fail. Panic set in. All I would've had to do is release the glider, and all would have been okay,,,,,er at least better.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I got 2 of my grandsons 1/10 scale RC trucks for Christmas this year. There was extra cost in getting them each a back-up/spare battery, faster battery chargers and of course, a battery for their dad and grandpa so we could play with them too.

I tested out several at my house, returning 3 until I stumbled upon on the ones I ended up with that are rugged, quick and want to go everywhere without busting up. I worked them HARD and couldn't break them so those are the ones they are getting.

After testing, neither of my dogs will come out from under the bed when they see them and I haven't seen the cats since the first test. I wonder why???

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have gotten into the quad copter drones...it is great fun...they have really come down in price here lately making them a whole lot less expensive to crash..and you WILL crash.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Warning: Any of the Wi-Fi cell phone controlled drones create another point of access into your digital life, they are another great back-door security breach for hackers to infiltrate with malicious intent.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I see the FAA has taken over the drone issue as they have to be registered with them. As the operator, can't call them a pilot as they aren't riding in it, they can be busted for flying in areas they shouldn't.

It is against the rules to fly below 500ft in built up areas. Problem is, how do I get away with blowing one out of the sky with my 10gauge that comes calling. How does one tell the difference between one flown by law enforcement, the local news folks, or someone checking you out to see if anyone is home before they back up and take what they please.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was looking at a gyro copter just the other day and we were talking about how about half the time the guy flew he thought somebody had taken shots at him...that is something to think about...at least with the drone it aint my ass fallin from the sky...course I do not fly over anything but my property....be tight circles with a gyro...lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
I currently have a T-Maxx 3.3, another T-Maxx with a Mega-Tech .15, 2 HPI Nitro MT2's, a parts T-Maxx, boxes of the inevitable junk that builds up with owning these things for years. Oh, a Pair of electric Boats as well.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My dusty fleet got relegated to the barn after getting married. Electric catamarans were fun, clean and exciting in whitewater creeks and streams but nothing beat the ease of operation of a 28cc 2 Stroke line trimmer deep V with 40 minute run times.

Rabbit tracks for scale I would let line trimmer boat tow me in canoe to remote areas of lakes so as not to disturb others, then race around until bored. Electrics always ran out of power before I ran out of enthusiasm

·
Registered
302 Posts
yeah the electric boats we have would always run down before I was done with them. I always figured a gas (not nitro, had one of those once) boat would be the most fun way to go

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zenoah and other 2-stroke line trimmer based gasoline engines have revolutionized large scale R/C aircraft, boats and cars with their power, ease of operation and reliability. Torquey compared to their nitro equivalents, they allow spining of larger props or those of greater pitch.
I got out of the hobby before advent of brushless motors and lithium batteries that would likely get me hooked again on electrics. I have to put the blinders on and look away when driving past hobby stores now. TWing is my hobby of choice now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts