TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased the front fork spring and emulator upgrade from Procycle. I go to the Race tech website and the TW is NOT listed so there is NO information on how to set it up??? the kit fits the shock but no information. So its kinda BS that Procycle sells the kit but does not provide any set up info. I called then and even thou they have sold quite a few kits they have never had anyone mention that TW is not supported by Procycle. I emailed Race Tech and they sent me a place to start but not specific to my riding style, weight or what ever.

What has others of you Tdub'ers that put in the emulators done for the set up?

thanks

Dman

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Have you read the tuning guide? Emulator Tuning Guide

the reason i ask is i personally have not seen any setup guide for any specific bike for these. They are basically universal for any bike that they fit. when i did mine i had to do a lot of testing and tuning to get them where i wanted them. It was worth the effort. Put them in, ride it and make adjustments based off the guide and what you are feeling. I don't think there is any magic pill for settings given that every rider is different.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
When I installed my FEGV3301, I left them as they came. I weigh 200, but I'm a gentle rider, so that seemed good. Unfortunately, yesterday 5 miles south of town leaving on my 10 day trip to Death Valley where I was going to really learn how they performed, I was sideswiped by an SUV while trying to pass, lost control of the Tundra with my 2018 with 175 miles on the clock on the transverse hitch, rolled twice down a 50 foot embankment at 60 mph, and spread parts and pieces of camp trailer, truck and TW over half an acre....all three a total loss. I got a sore shoulder. :eek:

Therefore it will be quite a few months before I can give much more input. I did talk to Race Tech, and was advised to start at the factory setting. I put 130 mm of 10 weight in there and checked that the unladen sag and rider sag were good. On the very few rough miles I was able to test over the winter it felt good. The stock setting is three turns in on the silver springs.

Make sure you have the correct install directions: http://www.racetech.com/download/InstructPDF/IP FEGV S3301.pdf

The 3301 is actually listed as a street/race emulator. MY best advice is if you are around 200 lbs. try them as is. At around 230 I would add one turn for 4 turns total.....above that you may think about going to stiffer springs on the emulator.
There is no one guide for everybody because our riding styles are so different. I removed exactly the width of the emulators from the steel spacers.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Glad you’re ok. Airbags and all? Did the knucklehead stop to help?

I did the yellow spring based on feedback from members here as I was looking for help with city potholes. 175 lbs. No feedback yet as it is not riding season for me yet.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Rocky, that sucks, but I'm glad you are okay. Hang in there!

Okay, now to un-hijack the OP's thread... Dman, yeah, unfortunately the TW is not supported, and we just have to wing it. But really, setting up suspension and doing this job is kind of a custom deal that's going to take some work. It's not really "plug-n-play", it is actually a involved project, but it's totally worth it. Best mod for the TW, IMHO.

What do you need to know exactly? Everything, or just the emulator settings people are using? Have you already disassembled your forks and drilled out your damper rods?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Rocket J.; I take it you have other transportation and family or friends up there to assist when you need to pick up replacement vehicles - yes?
Yes, since it happened only 30 miles from home. Replacing everything will take some time, I had spent three weeks farkling the new 2018 to my exact desires learned over 8 years of riding the 2010....at least it is all fresh in my mind. The truck will be easier and the Aliner may be harder to find, they are not a high volume RV.

Badger, yes, the nice (but stupid) lady, who also ended up in the sage 50 yards away after a wild but straight ride down the same embankment was kind enough to take me and what we could immediately salvage right to my doorstep! She could drive her SUV out under it's own power. (!) I am going down to the debris field today to see what else we can find that isn't destroyed.

Thanks to all for you sympathies, I am very very lucky not to be in ICU or the morgue after such a violent crash. There are many other places in that stretch that have a boulder or lava field at the bottom of the embankment.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Glad you are ok bummed for you for the loss of stuff. Also happy no one was hurt as a new 2018 was wreaked and totaled. Probably a record for first one done in.

Yes, since it happened only 30 miles from home. Replacing everything will take some time, I had spent three weeks farkling the new 2018 to my exact desires learned over 8 years of riding the 2010....at least it is all fresh in my mind. The truck will be easier and the Aliner may be harder to find, they are not a high volume RV.

Badger, yes, the nice (but stupid) lady, who also ended up in the sage 50 yards away after a wild but straight ride down the same embankment was kind enough to take me and what we could immediately salvage right to my doorstep! She could drive her SUV out under it's own power. (!) I am going down to the debris field today to see what else we can find that isn't destroyed.

Thanks to all for you sympathies, I am very very lucky not to be in ICU or the morgue after such a violent crash. There are many other places in that stretch that have a boulder or lava field at the bottom of the embankment.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
..... Probably a record for first one done in.
I'll bet that's true! Thx for sympathy. I finally went to the doctor today to verify that I really did have a mild concussion even though my head didn't hit anything but the headrest....she said I might have some PTSD too, but I don't think so...I haven't even had a nightmare yet. But contemplating all the work ahead in the next few months, I AM a bit pissed off. :mad:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'll bet that's true! Thx for sympathy. I finally went to the doctor today to verify that I really did have a mild concussion even though my head didn't hit anything but the headrest....she said I might have some PTSD too, but I don't think so...I haven't even had a nightmare yet. But contemplating all the work ahead in the next few months, I AM a bit pissed off. :mad:
Major bummer! Glad you made it out largely unscathed and no worse for wear. On the bright side...... you could have totaled the BMW.

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear about the crash Rocky, but the most important things is your in good shape..

I get it we are taking a "generic" part and adapting it however the thing that I expected purchasing racetech is the spreadsheet program that you put in all the conditions and it gives you a pretty close place to start. The both times I have put gold valves in other bikes, it was spot on. so I Almost feel "ripped off" with the no support on the website.. I emailed them and they gave me a few starting points. we should start a spread sheet with all the conditions of our bike and rider and riding style and how the emulators were finally set up.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
That would be a great idea! Here is my data:

Rider: 200-220 lbs depending on gear and luggage.
Bike: 2018 TW200
Emulator setting: three turns on stock spring. (out of the box)
Two new 1/4" holes at 90 degrees to and 3/4 inch above stock holes in damper rod, carefully de-burred and flushed. Existing holes bored to 1/4" and de-burred.
Spacers cut down the thickness of emulators.
Oil level: 130 mm.
Ride: intended to be somewhat soft without bottoming on all but the hardest hits.

On my short testing last winter, this seemed to be about right. I could not get the forks to bottom, but I didn't jump off a 4 foot cliff either, just the roughest section of potholed road nearby at about twice the speed I would normally drive it. I was really looking forward to the worst washboard in the US: Death Valley!

Rocky

·
Registered
27 Posts
I finally got around to tuning mine after putting them in 5 months ago. I was regretting having to pull the whole fork tubes off again to adjust them, but then learned you can pull the springs and emulators out the top with a magnet. Only a 20 min job and well worth the time. I'm about 245 lbs so I changed the yellow springs to the red ones with the same spring adjustment. It was better but I pulled them out again and cranked them in 3 full turns. Now I think I got it pretty close to where I want it. Much better than the first adjustment and night and day over what it was stock. I love my TW!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would be cool to have it in a spread sheet be a lot easier to find the information. Maybe I will start one and submit it for a sticky

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Spreadsheet is a great idea.

Rocky - pissed off is the 4th stage of the grieving process, if you believe in such things. It’s tough losing all that stuff all at the same time. Glad you’re ok.

175lbs - 95% city street rider, trying to improve pothole performance

Christmas present from best wife ever purchased on Amazon
From the box they had blue spring installed

My Initial setup:
Switched to yellow spring, 2.5 turns
Kept stock fork spring - measurement well within spec
Drilled and deburred dampening rod per Racetech specs
Did not cut spacer yet (I really want to see what it does, I realize I’m giving up more than an inch of the 6 inches of total travel)
10wt Lucas synthetic fork oil at 135mm

No feedback as of today as there is still plenty of salt on the roads and snow in forecast.

As a side note, these emulators were intended for my 2001 and I intend to test them on it. But I really like the 1996 I recently bought, so I might swap them over at some point. Does anyone know if the dampener rods are interchangeable from 96 vs 01? Cheers

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Yes, I believe the damper rods have not changed since 1987.

I used some PVC for testing....first time cut 1/4 inch off spacer....not nearly enough unladen or laden sag. 1/2 inch....still not as much as I wanted for a compliant ride, nowhere near bottom on hard hits. End product: cut the steel spacers to just a tiny bit more than the thickness of the emulators (I had to even up the cut): Great ride on washboard, getting nearly (minus 1/2 inch) full travel but still haven't hit bottom, but I have not found a really good spot to try bottoming...hopefully I never will!!!!! :p

So, what is the 5th stage of the process......amnesia? :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
I purchased and installed the Race Tech emulators and heavy front springs. I believe mine came set up with the 3rd heaviest preload spring set to two turns of preload. The springs that came with mine were much longer than stock, so I completely removed the spacers and still had a good 1/2 to 3/4" of preload like the stock set-up had with the spacers. I left mine as they came out of the box. I found a download on Rach-Tech that suggests these are old RD 350 forks, which at 33mm I wouldn't doubt. All I know is that right out of the box they are 1000% better than stock. I split the oil 50/50. (8 oz in each leg) which works out to about 6.5" from the top of each leg with the caps off, springs in with the forks compressed. My bike is no longer harsh, and goes to where I'm looking, not to where it happens to bounce too.
Trust Race-Tech and I think you'll be happy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts