TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
This is a great thread and likely would make a valuable 'Sticky'. Many have expressed some level of disappointment with the TW's suspension. I for one spent lots of time trying to get soft and compliant. As an older guy, comfort in the rough was high on my list. To the extreme, ended up modifying my triple-tree for a set of Yamaha Tri-Z (atv trike) forks. Silly, perhaps, but the extended travel provided the ride I was seeking. Now lets fast forward to the insight and information provided in this thread. Fork valves can be the answer to your front suspension dreams. These posters have set the bar, providing insight and instruction. Just placed an order for emulators to fit my XT-225. Before spending much time reading this thread, some folks on a scooter forum made reference to installing fork valves/emulators on their rides. As with forums in general, information sharing helps everyone. The A to Z insights provided made a day/night difference on how my 2015 Honda PCX scooter rides/handles. Well worth the low tech effort and modest price. Many of the folks on the scooter forum are from other countries so the fork valves referenced are YSS not Race Tech. Pro Cycle really makes getting the right size for the TW a slam-dunk and this merits your support. As I had only had experience with YSS, this is the brand I purchased for the XT. Appears to be a high quality product, and I am happy but information online is marginal. In response to an e-mail, Romain from Wemoto.com (United Kingdom) was kind enough to provide the following information. My purchase was not from his company, but I did Pay Pal him for his time, kindness and information.
--

--

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
This is a great thread and likely would make a valuable 'Sticky'. Many have expressed some level of disappointment with the TW's suspension. I for one spent lots of time trying to get soft and compliant. As an older guy, comfort in the rough was high on my list. To the extreme, ended up modifying my triple-tree for a set of Yamaha Tri-Z (atv trike) forks. Silly, perhaps, but the extended travel provided the ride I was seeking. Now lets fast forward to the insight and information provided in this thread. Fork valves can be the answer to your front suspension dreams. These posters have set the bar, providing insight and instruction. Just placed an order for emulators to fit my XT-225. Before spending much time reading this thread, some folks on a scooter forum made reference to installing fork valves/emulators on their rides. As with forums in general, information sharing helps everyone. The A to Z insights provided made a day/night difference on how my 2015 Honda PCX scooter rides/handles. Well worth the low tech effort and modest price. Many of the folks on the scooter forum are from other countries so the fork valves referenced are YSS not Race Tech. Pro Cycle really makes getting the right size for the TW a slam-dunk and this merits your support. As I had only had experience with YSS, this is the brand I purchased for the XT. Appears to be a high quality product, and I am happy but information online is marginal. In response to an e-mail, Romain from Wemoto.com (United Kingdom) was kind enough to provide the following information. My purchase was not from his company, but I did Pay Pal him for his time, kindness and information.
--

--

I heard Jimbo and Ronnydog are working on a Rebuildable rear shock with much better performance??? I heard it is
ready to be tested.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I heard Jimbo and Ronnydog are working on a Rebuildable rear shock with much better performance??? I heard it is
ready to be tested.

Ronnydog

Yeah, but what would you know? ;)

Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am installing a new set of springs and emulators also but noticed that instead of opening the factory hole in the rod, a new hole is drilled just above it for more oil to bypass. I will post back with details and pics here for those interested along with any adjustments I make. I am a heavy rider so I went with the 70kg springs and they are 7" longer and have a thicker coil than the stokers.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am installing a new set of springs and emulators also but noticed that instead of opening the factory hole in the rod, a new hole is drilled just above it for more oil to bypass. I will post back with details and pics here for those interested along with any adjustments I make. I am a heavy rider so I went with the 70kg springs and they are 7" longer and have a thicker coil than the stokers.
Are those the procycle springs that are that much longer than stock?

Also please do post any and all info you possibly can on how you did your emulators. I'm going to do it next month and would appreciate the help. Thanks

Oh and I weigh 225 without gear. Are you heavier than me?

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Did you see the post about the guy who was 585 lbs? :eek: TW's are very capable machine's if you ask me. I once hauled my fat sister up a hill on mine for a total combined weight of about 500 lbs and away we went, no hesitation and up the hill we went!!

(I can call her fat, only because she never checks the forum...haha...otherwise she'd pound me to pieces!!):evil6:

Thanks littletommy! Now I dont feel so bad! :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

Also please do post any and all info you possibly can on how you did your emulators. I'm going to do it next month and would appreciate the help. Thanks

Yes, the springs from Procycle are full length like shown in the pic above, eliminating the 6" metal spacer used with the stock springs. They send a small plastic spacer with the new springs, but if you use the emulators, you don't use those little spacers.

I did mine last week, and it went smoother than I expected. I changed my seals and wipers too, since it seemed like a good time to so it. My bike is an '04 with 9100 miles. I haven't had a chance to do any testing yet since the forks are part of the 101 things I'm trying to get done before Moab, so the bike is still in pieces. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

p.s. At your weight, I would recommend the 20% stiffer springs.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
for anyone that is interested i put together a high level overview on the emulator and spring install on my blog.
https://tdubbin.wordpress.com/2017/03/14/pro-cycle-fork-solution-kit-install/
Thanks for posting that, I went from feeling like I could maybe could attempt it to feeling like it shouldn't be a big deal now. One question, did you take any pics of the top of the damping rod? Maybe how that tool you made fits in it to hold keep it from turning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks littletommy! Now I dont feel so bad! :D
My friend at 325 had his wife on the back so it was an easy 500 lbs + load, there are some big dudes on these little bikes for sure!

Yes, the springs from Procycle are full length like shown in the pic above, eliminating the 6" metal spacer used with the stock springs. They send a small plastic spacer with the new springs, but if you use the emulators, you don't use those little spacers.

I did mine last week, and it went smoother than I expected. I changed my seals and wipers too, since it seemed like a good time to so it. My bike is an '04 with 9100 miles. I haven't had a chance to do any testing yet since the forks are part of the 101 things I'm trying to get done before Moab, so the bike is still in pieces. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

p.s. At your weight, I would recommend the 20% stiffer springs.
Thanks for that, thats probably the reason I didn't receive those plastic spacers as I ordered the emulators at the same time. I wondered about the stock steel spacer as well thinking it would need to be trimmed down or just eliminated all together, so thanks for clearing that up!

for anyone that is interested i put together a high level overview on the emulator and spring install on my blog.
https://tdubbin.wordpress.com/2017/03/14/pro-cycle-fork-solution-kit-install/
Awesome, thank you for that!

·
Registered
44 Posts

I am at 295 to 300 or so, and the heavier springs were exactly 7" longer that my stock ones. I have yet to pull the rods and drill them but will this weekend and post any pics. I plan to run the springs that came on the emulators and go from there. It may be a bit as I need new tires also but will do a full review on what works best for my weight and 75% street 25% off road riding style.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I am at 295 to 300 or so, and the heavier springs were exactly 7" longer that my stock ones. I have yet to pull the rods and drill them but will this weekend and post any pics. I plan to run the springs that came on the emulators and go from there. It may be a bit as I need new tires also but will do a full review on what works best for my weight and 75% street 25% off road riding style.
Can't wait to hear back on this..!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just did this mod and sure hope it was worth it. the driveway test doesnt reveal any change but I didnt figure it would. I have a feeling tuning these things is gonna be a pain in the ass big time. Since im a smaller rider I chose to soften them a bit out of the box.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts