Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frogg Toggs ?

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Both of us have a pair we got when the local K-Mart was having a going out of business sale. We haven't used them in the rain yet, but they seem rather thin and might ripped easily. We have tried them on but it doesn't seem like they would seal well around the cuff's and neck. We would use them in an emergency to "mostly" stay dry if we got caught out in the rain.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
That is exactly what they do. They work fairly to very well depending on fitment, then the pants wear out in the butt area and they promptly leak there giving you the damp crotch you put the wet weather gear on to avoid in the first place.

Better than nothing. And cheap enough to keep in a saddle bag.

And yes, they melt.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I generally avoid harsh comments, but rain gear is critical at times and can actually be dangerous when it fails, such as out in the middle of nowhere. In that situation, if hypothermia starts to develop you have no outside source of restoring body core temperature...which is a recipe for disaster. Frog Togs are junk. If you stay real close to home and don't mind getting wet...well maybe.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I totally agree with Borneo on this one. Borneo joined us on our winter hike in WV where the temp were sub zero. You don't embark on hikes like this unless you are prepared. It takes money and Borneo said something that is so true. "You can buy equipment to survive the elements but it you want it lighter and better you need to spend the big bucks". I don't cut costs on rain gear, It has to be quality and completely compact. You never know when it's going to rain, so you better have it with you. Go cheap on some things but when it comes to safety, save up and buy the best.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I agree with Borneo saying that frog togs are junk. If you want something to keep in your car or pack for a just in case moment that's one thing but for real use they will wear out quickly. As noted, they are thin, rip easily, wear out and melt. My bass boat's speed will wreck a set in no time from wind making the fabric flap, i have seen it happen a lot. A motorcycle would be just as bad if not worse.

I have spent a lot of time in rain gear when i use to tournament bass fish and also when hiking and in my experience quality rain gear is a must if you plan on spending time in the elements. For fishing the best rain gear i have used would be Cabelas Guidewear. Expensive but worth every penny, I have had mine for over a decade and never once have i gotten wet, not really suitable for a bike tho. Same with my hiking gear in regards to the bike, i have a set of REI branded gore-tex that packable and great for hiking.

For the bike my Rev-it sand 2 set has removable liners that work quite well. While they are not gore-tex( which i prefer) they do a great job and i have been in some pretty big rains in them and stayed dry. If i was looking for something to throw in the bag the ones Rhodetrip mentioned would be where i would look. Personally since i wear riding gear anyway i prefer what i have with the liners. If I was going on an extended journey tho i would consider upgrading to a gore-tex set. Rev-it, Aerostitch and Klim make some really nice ones with gore-tex linings. I most likely would go rev-it since they make it in a short leg that fits me better or an aerostitch one piece suit.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate all the advice on the rain gear. I've looked up everything you guys have mentioned. The problem I am having is, in order to get some that will fit my 54ish inch waist, the legs end up being 36 inches long and I need around 32. Any other suggestions for a fat boy? :D I guess I could have them taken up a few inches. ??

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Call Aerostitch. They do custom fit for their stuff all the time. See if they will do a pair of their Ultralight Rain Pants for you. Expect to pay more than the $87 that a standard size costs, but I expect they might make you a pair for a reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Kurt. I've thought about better quality or custom made pairs, but remember, I'm supposed to be working on my health. So if I lost 50+ lbs. between now and Moab, then what?? ;) I'm really thinking just a pair of cheap'os to get me through the fall and winter. I just now got back from looking at Cyclegear. They had Bilt brand and Frogg Toggs, I was a little more impressed with the way the Bilt one's felt. The Frogg Toggs really do feel like paper. There was one pair of 3X's, but I think they would have been a little too tight over clothes. Maybe Admiral has the best idea for me right now, just a pair of those PVC ones from Wallyworld, no need to have those sewn up, just cut off any extra leg length. ??

Reactions: jeepster09

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
LT, if you lose the 50 pounds, I bet there are enough of us that would chip in and buy you a rain suit of your choice.

Until then...I've used large garbage bags when I had nothing else. ;)

jb

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Until then...I've used large garbage bags when I had nothing else. ;)

jb

Me and two of my son's did try the garbage bag thing...once. It didn't work as well as we would've liked. Guess we needed bigger garbage bags to cover the arms and legs too. :p

Plus we didn't have large enough garbage bags for me. I mistakenly thought the chest protector would ward off the rain. I was wrong.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Interesting response to the question because I have the opposite experience.

I have Frogg Toggs Toad Skinz and wore them 2 full days (12 hours each) and parts of other days in pouring rain on a recent 3,300 mile trip to Alaska.
Then a few weeks later 2 more long days in the rain on another trip.
Zero leaks and I was impressed.
This is the first rain gear that worked 100% for me and I have other rain gear that was much more expensive that didn't work as well.

I read about them on advrider and many riders love them.
That's why I was interested in buying more rain gear to give them a try...

They do make several grades of rain gear and it appears that most is NOT recommended for use on motorcycles.
I looked at the Frogg Toggs in our local stores and it was much to thin (weak) to use on a moving motorcycle.
I ended up emailing Frogg Toggs directly to tell them of my intended use (possibly living in the rain suit for 2 weeks).
They said no problem, and explained the differences in design, construction, and durability of the various suits they have.
And ONLY the one for motorcycle riding is for actually using on a motorcycle.
If anyone is using their less expensive light weight rain gear, it is NOT going to work on a bike.

I think anything will burn/melt if it touches the exhaust system.
I know my new $900 one piece riding suit leg does. Argh!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts