TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whether it be politicians or laundry soap few things in life deliver as promised.
One exception seems to be Rain-X windshield treatment.
A few days ago I replaced the windshield of my van and drove home untreated in moderately heavy rain. It was a sobering reminder of benefit of Rain-X which usually allows me to turn off my wipers at speeds above 40mph. Watching those wipers go back and forth was so boring and distracting compared to just enjoying seeing surface tension bead up the water and then the aerodynamic forces effortlessly stream all those droplets up and over the roof. Rain-X helps with keeping snow from sticking too as well as smashed grasshoppers in the summer. While not exactly "Bug-X" it does assist in keeping bug goo from turning into difficult to remove bug glue.
I can recommend the original pure product it as one of the few "miracle in a can" products. Their other products like Fog-X, combo Rain-X and cleaner and windshield fluid seem less ineffective.

What other products do you folks enjoy?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Whether it be politicians or laundry soap few things in life deliver as promised.
A few days ago I replaced the windshield of my van and drove home untreated in moderately heavy rain. It was a sobering reminder of benefit of Rain-X which usually allows me to turn off my wipers at speeds above 40mph. Watching those wipers go back and forth was so boring and distracting compared to just enjoying seeing surface tension bead up the water and then the aerodynamic forces effortlessly stream all those droplets up and over the roof. Rain-X helps with keeping snow from sticking too as well as smashed grasshoppers in the summer. While not exactly "Bug-X" it does assist in keeping bug goo from turning into difficult to remove bug glue.
I can recommend the original pure product it as one of the few "miracle in a can" products. Their other products like Fog-X, combo Rain-X and cleaner and windshield fluid seem rather ineffective.

Although experiences vary, I would stake my reputation on the effectiveness of Rain-X windshield washer fluid. It must be used continuously though for maximum effect. If you forget and use regular washer fluid it will quickly destroy the effectiveness of the Rain-X that was used previously. I also use the windshield washer version of Rain-X on my helmet visor "inside and out". Water races off my visor, bugs wipe off with a dry cloth, and it seems to fog less as well. YMMV.

Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
Something I've used for years to do a quick clean up on the bike while on a trip is Lemon Pledge. Spray some on the bugs that are splattered on the fairing, wait a few minutes and they wipe right off. I've used it a couple time on my shield but prefer to use plexus for that doesn't seem to build up as much.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I wouldn't touch it with a long stick, but if you guys want to gum up your windows that's okay with me.
Occasionally I see comments like this and wonder how experiences can differ so much?

I drive roughly 50,000 miles a year and have for the past 14 years. In that time I have owned 8 different company vehicles and a half dozen of my own. I have used the orange Rain-X windshield washer fluid on/in all of them without a single negative experience. I have also used it on all of my game camera lenses, a few of my tablet screens, and both of my boys Oakley snowboarding goggles. Nothing but positive results......

Since I trust that some have had bad personal experiences I wonder what the factors were that contributed?

Tom

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I love Rain-X! In fact, I want to put another coat of it in my windshield before I head out of here for Moab.

As for the gumming up, yes there is truth to that. My routine is that each Fall before the rain comes, I scrub the hell out of my windshield using Dawn dish detergent, and then again using regular glass cleaner. Then I apply a fresh coat of Rain-X, and I also put on fresh wiper blades. Following that routine, I've never had a gumming-up problem.

I also put it on my helmet visors... but, note, ONLY on the outside. Put it on the inside and it makes a mess of things (don't ask me how I know this). And I use the same cleaning regiment on the visors too -- Dawn is the answer. Since it's well known to remove wax, and Rain-X is essentially a wax, it works well in removing it completely.

Oh and I also use the Rain-X brand windshield washer, mainly for its winter qualities.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I love Rain-X! In fact, I want to put another coat of it in my windshield before I head out of here for Moab.

As for the gumming up, yes there is truth to that. My routine is that each Fall before the rain comes, I scrub the hell out of my windshield using Dawn dish detergent, and then again using regular glass cleaner. Then I apply a fresh coat of Rain-X, and I also put on fresh wiper blades. Following that routine, I've never had a gumming-up problem.

I also put it on my helmet visors... but, note, ONLY on the outside. Put it on the inside and it makes a mess of things (don't ask me how I know this). And I use the same cleaning regiment on the visors too -- Dawn is the answer. Since it's well known to remove wax, and Rain-X is essentially a wax, it works well in removing it completely.

Oh and I also use the Rain-X brand windshield washer, mainly for its winter qualities.
This is cool info BUT I ONLY use the windshield washer fluid and the water races of the treated surface. I have not used the "treatment" in over 10 years so I have no idea if that gum's up surfaces but the washer fluid does not.

Tom

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've used both (separately)... but my own experience says the actual treatment is better. I recall one massive rainstorm in the Bay Area that I drove home into back when I had my WRX. It was treated with Rain-X and I was still doing 65-70 on the freeway heading into the East Bay (from the Tracy area). Traffic around me had slowed to 40-ish because they couldn't see. I didn't even have my wipers on.

I miss that car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thumbs up for Rain x. My non-mechanical brother, called me a few years ago. Said he was on a 1.5 hour trip to Portland in a downpour and his suburban wipers stopped working. He was stopped at a gas station trying to fix his wipers with no luck. I suggested he walk inside the gas station store, buy some rain x and apply as directed. He called back a few hours later and said he could see better than ever, without wipers. Stuff just works.

·
Registered
19,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least we all should strive to keep our windows clean irregardless of any treatment.
Driving in metropolitan or built-up areas often causes windows to rapidly get oily build-ups due to pollution and unburnt diesel exhaust.
There have been times when I am happily sailing along w/o wipers on a rainy freeway with fresh Rain-X only to see drivers next to me hunched over their steering wheels peering ineffectively through a oily smeared windscreen while their wipers cycle worthlessly at high speed. Really makes a difference to what constitutes a safe speed....I may have good situational awareness at 65mph while others are over-driving their sight distances at 50 mph.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Plexus plastic cleaner is amazing for cleaning plastics. I have more than a few scuff marks on my TW that fill up with dirt. When I apply plexus, the scuff marks become practically invisible. Great stuff.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Rain X applied as directed to the clean windshield is a fantastic product. Done right, like waxing your windows, it lasts a long time but should be renewed from time to time. Used in conjunction with the Rain X washer fluid and you should be good for a very long time. Where the Rain X really excels the best is when you hit the 4 lanes that have that greasy film getting tossed up on the windshield from trucks and other vehicles in front of you. Don't forget to treat the rear window if you have an SUV because it will make a lot of the dirt and film just slide right off. I am rather anal about having excellent visibility through my windshield and great head lights that are properly adjusted so they light up the road. I tried the Rain X wiper blades and was not impressed but the ones I love the best are Bosch Icon wiper blades. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

GaryL

I keep hoping to see Rain X make a treatment for the plastic headlight lens covers that will work as good as the glass treatment.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm a big fan of rain-x as well. On my truck and my girlfriends SUV every panel that is made of glass gets treated, even the mirrors. I drive a lot and used to drive a lot more with my boat trailer in tow and it makes a massive difference in visibility in the rain especially at night. I hate driving in the rain without it, like Fred mentioned that oily road grime infested goo that the wipers just smear around on an untreated windshield is really hard to see thru and in my opinion is a safety hazard at night.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
One time on a high speed run through the pouring rain at 2am, on the way from NY to Carlisle PA, I was at speed and heard a ticking. It seems that someone had changed the wiper blades for the wrong ones on my 2004 SSR. When stopped at a truckstop to diagnose, I found that the passenger wiper blade had decided to start colliding with the a pillar. This being one of the rare times I had zero tools, I purchased a bottle of Rain-X.
To apply in the POURING rain with a wet sweatshirt was probably not listed on the bottle as the recommended method, but it sure worked. Kept that windshield super clear at speeds well over 100mph. (reprogrammed computer).

On plastic I have another product that goes on like wax for plastic windshields and visors. Forgot what it is called. Too lazy to go outside and look now.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
While I will use it on glass I'm very carefull about plastic. Once put it on the windshield of my Harley and it dis-colored with in a few hours. Turns out they had a service bulletion about the use of Rain-X.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
While I will use it on glass I'm very carefull about plastic. Once put it on the windshield of my Harley and it dis-colored with in a few hours. Turns out they had a service bulletion about the use of Rain-X.
I know it is not a particularly Manly thing to do but reading directions sometimes avoids such mistakes. I believe it states right on the bottle "Not for use on plastics". I also try to avoid spilling any on the paint.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I know it is not a particularly Manly thing to do but reading directions sometimes avoids such mistakes. I believe it states right on the bottle "Not for use on plastics". I also try to avoid spilling any on the paint.

GaryL
As God is my witness I will not say it again. Use the dambed windshield washer fluid on your plastics without fear! Put it on a cotton cloth and vigorously clean your visor or windshield frequently. Water will run off with great enthusiasm!

Tom

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Occasionally I see comments like this and wonder how experiences can differ so much?

I drive roughly 50,000 miles a year and have for the past 14 years. In that time I have owned 8 different company vehicles and a half dozen of my own. I have used the orange Rain-X windshield washer fluid on/in all of them without a single negative experience. I have also used it on all of my game camera lenses, a few of my tablet screens, and both of my boys Oakley snowboarding goggles. Nothing but positive results......

Since I trust that some have had bad personal experiences I wonder what the factors were that contributed?

I think I know what the contributing factors are. I love rain x, so I recommended it to a friend and he hated it. said it made a smeary mess on his windshield. I asked him if he read the directions! ... well no he answers.......there you go!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I can recommend the original pure product it as one of the few "miracle in a can" products. Their other products like Fog-X, combo Rain-X and cleaner and windshield fluid seem less ineffective.

I like Surf City Garage products. they seem to really work well. start with their sealer and then a coat of glaze and then I finish with a coat of collinite 845. once a year and the paint looks great all year. SCG products are all good, at least the ones I have tried, window cleaner and upholstery cleaner and their speed wax for clean ups. only trouble is it has been hard to find

1 - 20 of 20 Posts