TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon a new project a 1994 rainbow warrior that needs some love. First the kickstart doesn't want to return on its own. I'm hoping it's just a busted spring but wanted to ask here before I crack it open. Any suggestions?

My plan is to get this beauty back on the road. I've got $200 invested in it and have a slew of parts on the way to help me refurbish it. I know the rainbow warrior scheme is a love it hate it. But I'm digging it. I am however going more blue in the refurb. Ordered a navy blue seat cover and will repair the frame navy. The plastics are good just faded but I already started on the rear fender and it cleaned up nice.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
congrats on your new obsession! i too found a rainbow warrior a couple of years ago, but i had more than $200 in it, unless it's really beat, it sounds like you got a great deal. alas i ended up not keeping mine in it's original colorful glory. i salute your commitment to keep it as they are classic. post picks as you can.

you can check out my build on my signature line.

ride on!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The kickstarter shaft goes through a seal in the side cover. If this seal is dry and/or dirty, it could cause the lever to not return on its own. Try cleaning and oiling this seal/shaft first, you might get lucky and not have to take the side cover off.

Brian

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
seeing your pics, that's rougher than mine was, but if it's running you still got a great deal. the tank is clean looking and that's the hardest thing to replace if you keep it a rainbow warrior. almost all the parts are swappable from year to year, so you have a vast selection to choice from. the rear lights you can swap for a pair of cycle gear shorties and then don't have to worry as much about breaking one off, and at $10 (when on sale) not much of a hit on the wallet when you do.

my frame "unsmurfed" (to quote mr tub himself- RIP) with new plastic and tank, but i think navy would look good and give a bit of dark contrast.

enjoy your build!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it's a bit rough around the edges and was abused by kid for a few years after grandpa parked it but it does run and shifts smooth so with a few hours of cleaning and replacing worn and missing parts it won't be bad. I picked up a new/used speedo, levers, side cover, air cleaner, grips, seat cover, etc. oh and a taillight. For now I'll pull the rear turn signals until I tract down some replacements and I'll keep an eye out for a smaller set. The good thing was its got a clean Missouri title so no problems from the DMV.

I am just collecting parts right now as this will likely be a fall project as I am wrapping up a refurb on my old tri-Moto 3 wheeler right now. Ytm200ern. But I'll admit this is calling my name and I may defer the 3 wheeler as I want this now.

On the lookout for a blue right side cover if anyone has one. Found the left on eBay last week for 19.99 so it's on the way.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i might just have a rt side, if you still need one in a couple of weeks... i'll check for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I checked out your build that looks great. If you have a right side cover I'll take if off your hands and gladly pay yah a little something for it. Also did those foot pegs ever make it to production of so how might I find a set of those too? Those are on my list.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Very nice find. Sounds like you're on your way to a nice ride.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Also what's the advantage to the quick seat release bolts? This is my first TW

To be able to get to the battery and electronics easier. I did it with Velcro and that seat isn't coming off unless you want it to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts