TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone that spoke about raising the front fender an inch or so I went ahead and did it for about $5. There were no pictures of it so I went ahead and tried it using longer bolts and compression springs. I figured the spring would be best for when I drop it so it has a little play.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. If I raised it another inch or so it would but then it would also rub the boots when they compress. The way it sits now is perfect!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it out to do a little more "testing" and felt it tap when completely compressing the forks so i'm going to cut down the bolts a 1/4 inch or so until the problem subsides.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I took it out to do a little more "testing" and felt it tap when completely compressing the forks so i'm going to cut down the bolts a 1/4 inch or so until the problem subsides.
Noticed when I chenged my fork oil that mine is abot 1/16" below the top. That is with oil drained. I have a 3/16" spacer. So sounds like a 3/4" will work. perfect! thanks

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I did about the same thing but used 6-8 washers and longer bolts but only raised it about 1/2 -5/8 inch. Looks good and keeps your tire from locking up in the muck.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Can we get a pic from a little farther back to get a better perspective?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can we get a pic from a little farther back to get a better perspective?
I'll take one tomorrow when I get it adjusted to where it doesnt hit the tripletrees when bottoming out. I cut the bolts down 1/4 inch and it still taps when I bottom out the forks. I'm trying to get it as high as possible without any contact. Now its at around 11/16in. Will have to snip the springs and cut the bolts again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
PSC,

Is it hitting hard enough to hurt? It would seem to me that the springs would allow enough movement to prevent damage, and the taller set when not bottomed out would allow better mud/stick/rock/pine cone/horse turd clearance.

Input?

Bag

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Change your springs to something with fewer coils but the same height and I.D.

You could probably gain up to an inch more "give" before coil bind.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tend to be pretty rough on the little tdub. Aside from a scratch or two on the brace from testing, there is no damage. I went trail riding with my gf this weekend and I only heard it tap once when I completely bottomed out the forks. I had a hard time finding the springs and think the ones that I have are perfect except the length. Not to stiff or soft. I haven't had the time to cut the bolts down again and snip the springs but I will be sure to post a few pics and tell the clearance dimensions when I finish it up.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm sure they're available in Japan, but a fork brace would be nice. Not sure how it would work with the gaiters though. A brace would give you a spot for a higher fender altogether without losing stability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts