TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it is me or others have noticed this.

I raised the front fender up one inch with aluminum spacers and new bolts. Strictly for appearance and I like the way it looks.

Took a road ride today and it sure does seem like the noise from the front tire buzz is a lot more pronounced. I would love to hear from others who did this if they found the same increase before I put it back down to stock. It just might be possible the fender being closer to the tire shields some of the buzz. I do have the stock front and rear tires and I do expect them to sing a bit on pavement but it sure seems like the front is singing a lot louder now.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Yeah Gary, you will hear it a little more with the raised fender. The stock front tire really sang on mine and not so much at all after I changed it to a 244 Goldenboy. Also, you said you raised it one inch, I remember reading some posts that mentioned that was too much and if you bottom out the front, it will hit the triple tree. I think you can go 5/8 and maybe 3/4 but not more. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more accurate info?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
i put a supermoto fender on with a procycle bracket, and a shinko 244. can't say i noticed a difference in noise, though it handles much better and imho it looks cooler too.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I also raised my front fender using solid spacers, but I don't recall noticing any significant increase in noise. I used 3/4" spacers but found that during hard off-road riding it was possible to bottom out the found end such that that the fender brace just kissed the bottom triple clamp. Your 1" spacers may allow some damage to occur to your fender/fender brace if the front end is bottomed out. If you rarely ride off-road, you may be fine. I have since replaced the solid spacers with compression springs as described in the following link.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/7455-spring-cushioned-front-fender-mounting.html

Here is where I got the original idea from PalmStateCrawler.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/4474-raised-fender-w-springs.html

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I will remove the spacers and just go back to stock mounting. I don't do much off roading and would probably never bottom it out but this was just for a little better look and I hate how loud the buzz has become with the stock tire.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Gary, to raise it some is a good thing, it helps the rocks roll through without wanting to crack your fender. (or just lets bigger rocks in..ha ha)
I think I see your problem though with the loud singing. Your bike is a 91 with original tires, right? The singing is coming from the tires having become hard over the years. When I first got my bike, it only had 1300 miles, but it was a 87 and the tires although new looking were hard as a rock from age. It really sang loud and of course was also dangerous. If those are originals, change them as soon as you can. You don't want a tire failure at 60mph. Change the tubes also. Now you will have a quiet rolling bike, and traction like you won't believe. This was the first thing I did to my bike after I got it. Safety first. We're getting to old for much more crashing and burning...

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never gave that much of a thought LT! The original tires have well under 1,000 miles on them and look almost brand new and have no age checking or cracks at all. It would seem a shame to just dump what appear to be perfectly good tires and just put the same ones right back on but new. I will give that some thought though and stop by my local un-friendly Yamaha shop to see if I can feel much difference in the rubber hardness.

When I do find a parts bike with good wheels I do plan to go with a more road worthy set of tires and that should quiet things down considerably. I do very little off road and even then it is usually hard packed old gravel roads.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Wait till you put a new set on, you will be amazed at the difference. Mine looked new too. The age of your bike and mine and the mileage are pretty comparible. And once you get the new ones scrubbed in a bit on the road you will be amazed at the traction. (they can be a bit slippery first few miles) It's like the bike is glued to the road, no kidding. Guarantee this is the prob.

When I first got the bike, it would Wrrrrr higher and higher in pitch the faster I went, at 45-50 I almost couldn't hear the motor. Not really, but partially true.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take your word for it but with my ride season coming to an end in the next month or so I won't be buying new rubber until next spring. I do hope to find another and newer TW in the very near future. Prices are becoming very negotiable up here right about now, I would set one up for the back roads and the other for the trails. Thinking these old tires with lots of tread, better than 90% left should be fine to burn off in the woods.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Riding season coming to a end? ... ... ... ...I've never heard of that before. ;) Me? I'm riding. Not far, not fast, but I gotta ride.

Yeah, I would probably go ahead and eat up those tires offroad too..as long as I didn't get too far out in the boonies.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Riding season coming to a end? ... ... ... ...I've never heard of that before. ;) Me? I'm riding. Not far, not fast, but I gotta ride.

Yeah, I would probably go ahead and eat up those tires offroad too..as long as I didn't get too far out in the boonies.
I call it a tool for every season. When the snow gets over a foot and the temps drop in the teens I have a real nice Polaris RZR.

GaryL

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any chance I could get a picture of what it looks like raised? Just curious if it would be something I would want to do to mine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts