TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Rally Raid CB500X Pricetag

15K views 56 replies 16 participants last post by  Little Brute 
#1 ·
I thought I'd post about this since I know I'm not the only one around here with at least some interest in the RRP CB500X.

Giant Loop has released US Pricing for the suite of RRP parts: Rally Raid Products Honda CB500X Adventure Parts List & US Pricing » Giant Loop

The stage 3 suspension and spoke wheel kit comes in just slightly higher than expected at $2871.00. I put together a build sheet to take a stock CB500X and make it 50/50 adventure ready, including several RRP parts and a bunch of stuff from other places. It totaled up to a whopping $4577.00!

Combine that with the price of a new CB500X and you're into the price range of much more "serious" sub-1000cc ADV bikes. Go used, same boat but with used bigger bikes.

The CB-X still has low weight and high fuel economy as big pluses in it's column, but is that enough? It seems like RRP's catalogue has basically doubled the meager aftermarket for the CB500X, our "niche bike" TWs have so many more farkles available for them.

Even at its fully-farkled price point, the RRP CB-X might still be at the top of the heap. I'm not sure, but somehow it just costs more than I feel like it should. Hmm...

See less See more
#2 ·
That is the reason I will stick with my DR650 it is like a bigger TW. bought it cash in 2011 low miles and ready to adventure.

Reactions: Peterb
#3 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
that is it behind the TW.

#4 ·
Yeah, I put together a build sheet for my dream DR650 a while ago, before I became interested in the RRP CB500X. I think I would have been much happier with a DR650 than I was with my old KLR650, but for my intended use I don't think that a single, ANY single, is going to cut it.

When I'm out touring I usually average 500-600 miles a day, and over that distance I found that the hammering vibration of a single becomes exhausting. I want to be able to comfortably cover 500-600 paved road miles one day, and 200-300 mostly dirt road (not trail or single track) miles the next day on the same bike.

On my Triumph 1200 triple, 600 miles is easy even 2-up. I did an IBA Saddlesore 1000 on it with many hours to spare, and I plan to attempt a Bunburner Gold 1500-in-24 ride on it soon. It's an awesome sport-touring bike, but at over 650 Lbs fully loaded with gear it's a lot of work to ride in the dirt. I would not have enjoyed my recent trip to the Chiricahuas if I had ridden my Trump instead of my TW.

I want a bike that's a lot lighter, say under 500 Lbs, but that can still pull 85 for hours on end without overheating or burning oil. My KLR couldn't do that, over the course of a few hours it would just get hotter and hotter and I would have to top off the oil at every gas stop. I want multiple cylinders, and I want FI.

That's why the RRP CB500X is so appealing to me, the twin is going to be so much smoother and much more powerful than any 650 single. I'm still super interested in it, but when you're looking at spending $10K+ the field really opens up.

If I was looking at mostly 100-200 mile days, I'd be all over the DR. It's a great bike, and probably the best choice in it's class. Infinitely farkle-able, super reliable, and a darn good value. I like DRs, but it's not the bike I'm looking for right now.

Reactions: Mel and ZDR1
#5 ·
I'm waiting here for the supposed KTM 390 Adventure.

Apparently 2 have been sent to India for testing and manufacturing planning - same plant that makes the Duke and RC 390 models.

Problem for you guys in America is that the smaller KTMs always seem to take an extra year to get to you.

I dunno - I have a friend with an F800GS and we have ridden some stupidly technical stuff - him on the 800 and me on the KTM 640 Adv. Not fun when you drop them but they can do way more than you think.

For the price of a fully done up CB500X I'd rather buy a slightly used F800GS all day.

#6 · (Edited)
Don: For you, what about the Tiger 800 XCX? Sounds to me like it would meet your criteria pretty well. It is like $14k though... But like you said the kitted-out CB is approaching that. On top of that, I think it's important to keep in mind that aftermarket parts can potentially be an issue (component compatibility, breakage, replacement parts availability, longevity of manufacturer business, etc.), more-so than OEM stuff from large, well-established manufacturers (Triumph, for example...). Perfect example of this is when I tore into my custom, big bore KLX motor to have a look at the innards and replace the cam chain: I needed new cylinder gaskets, so I had to phone a man called Bill, who lives in Wichita, KS...

Anyway, I'm definitely not bashing the CB at all here. Either would be a bitchin ride! As an adventure tourer/commuter/quasi dual sport-ish machine, I think the 800 XCX is hard to beat.

Decent review I watched on it:

#8 ·
Don: For you, what about the Tiger 800 XCX? Sounds to me like it would meet your criteria pretty well. It is like $14k though... But like you said the kitted-out CB is approaching that. On top of that, I think it's important to keep in mind that aftermarket parts can potentially be an issue (component compatibility, breakage, replacement parts availability, longevity of manufacturer business, etc.), more-so than OEM stuff from large, well-established manufacturers (Triumph, for example...). Perfect example of this is when I tore into my custom, big bore KLX motor to have a look at the innards and replace the cam chain: I needed new cylinder gaskets, so I had to phone a man called Bill, who lives in Wichita, KS...

Anyway, I'm definitely not bashing the CB at all here. Either would be a bitchin ride! As an adventure tourer/commuter/quasi dual sport-ish machine, I think the 800 XCX is hard to beat.
Yeah, damn if Triumph doesn't keep building the bikes that I want!

The Tiger 800 XCX has almost 2" more travel than the RRP CB500X (thus 4" more travel than a stock CB500X), it has the same 33.9" seat height as the RRP CB-X, ~30 more HP, and it only weighs about 50 Lbs more. My local Triumph dealer has a leftover 2014 XC model listed at $9999. I imagine that it's only a matter of time before a leftover XCX can be had for around $10K too. Lightly used F800GSAs can be had for sub-$10K around here, although I think I would prefer the lower weight, lower seat height, and additional power of the tiger.

Triumph is probably better than KTM or BMW for reliability and parts availability, but they still can't touch the Japanese manufacturers. Plus, for me it's a 45 minute drive to the only Triumph dealer in town and about 5 minutes to the closest Japanese shop. I've come to feel like that does count for something, even though it's only an issue every now and then. Waiting weeks for backordered parts - parts required for routine maintenance - to come in from England has left a bad taste in my mouth too. The total ownership experience with my Triumph has been worth the occasional headaches for me, but a euro bike will never be as worry-free as a typical Japanese machine.

#7 · (Edited)
You bring up a very good point. It is a point that I have not seen discussed much in the ADV threads.

RRP has really put in a lot of work in R&D to create the products for this bike. It seems like a lot of effort for one type of bike. It is great for owners of CB500's but I hope RRP can recoup their investment.

I think one advantage the RRP upgrade has over the larger cc already-fully-built bikes is that people can buy into it slowly. First buy the bike. Ride a bit. Then buy your first upgrade. Ride some more, then add another upgrade. Etc. That way you can trick yourself (or your spouse) into thinking it is not really that expensive.

Luckily for my needs, I think I could make it work because I think I could do without the most expensive upgrade: the spoked wheels. They would be nice to have, but they add $$ to the upgrade, plus, then you lose what I think is one BIG advantage to the stock rims – the ability to run tubeless and therefore have quick and easy tire repairs.

If I had more resources, a full-boat level 3 upgrade would be awesome. However, I think I could be perfectly happy with the level 1 suspension upgrade along with a skid plate, center stand, off-road oriented tires, RRP's pillion rack and some miscellaneous standard farkles.

It would be a bike that could cruise comfortably without always reaching for the next, non-existent, gear.
It would have quick-repair tubeless tires, twice the range of the TW, good stopping power (and the option of ABS that actually works well offroad) decent electrical output for accessories, and reasonable ride height and weight. And, I could add the center stand. All that, plus it could handle gravel and easy dirt roads.

However, since this is just dreamland for me anyway, I might as well get the full level 3 upgrade for my fantasy ride.:) In reality, I will just stay with my TW and keep reaching for 6[SUP]th[/SUP] gear.

Senor Benito, I think you should buy the bike and the level 3 upgrade so we can live vicariously through you!

#9 ·
OWT, I like your way of thinking about the RRP kit. Honestly, I'd never even considered anything short of the full-bore Stage 3 option. I guess I need to think about this a little bit more, perhaps I could put together a bike that would work for me without going all-the-way.

#11 · (Edited)
Don, I think you're right about the reliability. I agree that it would probably be better than the typical KTM or even BMW. As for Triumph vs the Japanese competition...I think you're right that the Japanese might have the edge. But I would say, generally speaking, that is a slight edge. As in, 2 minor breakdowns versus three, 80,000 mile durability versus 70,000, etc. Those Triumph triples are some damn fine pieces of kit. I've seen lots of them with WELL over fifty thousand on the clock. My brother bought an 02 (?) Triumph Sprint 955i several months ago. He's been commuting on the thing like a hundred miles a day or some such. He bought it with like 38k, and now it's up to like 50k IIRC. No issues yet. Always fires right up, idles smoothly, and pulls hard. I did a few power wheelies on it; it's amazing how such a big heavy bike can snap the front end up into the air just by cracking open the throttle ;D

#20 ·
I know right? Whats up with that price? $4800 for a new 2015? Now I know they will add all kinds of fees but thats a pretty low starting point :)

Reactions: littletommy
#25 ·
He finished installing the kit. Posted the vid just a few hours ago. Didnt show any riding but Im sure that will be next. Check out when he starts putting stuff together, he uses the same torque wrench I do :)

#26 ·
Damn it I must say that finished product looks seriously awesome.

#34 ·
Have you seen the latest?

#35 ·
I can't help but notice that right around the same time Giant Loop released the RRP catalogue for sale in the US, the used market in CB500Xs dried right up. At least around here.

I'm trying to be patient, but a new CBx is looking better and better as time goes by.

Reactions: TWilight
#37 ·
These have caught my attention...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.