TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my working career winding down I have been considering a Ram 2500 diesel pickup for touring the USA pulling a trailer upon retirement. Are there any forum members with experience pulling with a Ram?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have been a Dodge guy for 20 years. I love the power of the Cummins engine but for fuel mileage, my friends Duramax gets another 3 or 4 miles to the gallon better than mine.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
I bought a new F-250 with a 7.3 turbo diesel back in 2002. I absolutely loved the truck and even more loved the motor and power it had for pulling a heavy trailer. The price of diesel along with the weight of the engine in the truck was the deal breaker. I could not keep shocks, brakes or tires on it and the cost of the fuel was a serious disadvantage. At 7 years old with just 50K miles on it the rust just took over and I will never own another Ford. I see very similar results with both GM and MOPAR trucks up here in the rust belt. So many that look as though they have been well cared for yet the wheel wells and rocker panels are rusting right through. Although the diesel motors do have the low end grunt I think the cost of operating along with the initial added cost are the downfall. My engine took 4 gallons of oil at each change and it looked like sludge after just 3,000 miles.

A buddy who was a life long Dodge guy and loved the Cummins diesels bought a Toyota Tundra about 4 years ago and is now a true blue Toyota guy. He drags a 32 foot travel trailer all over this country and says the Tundra blows any of his previous Dodges away and has all the power he has ever needed. Chose wisely on such a big expense but do keep an eye out on fairly new big 3 trucks that all seem to be rust buckets in very short years.

GaryL

·
Registered
913 Posts
My son has a '93 Cummins. Short wheel base 2wd. It is a fine little truck. It tows a 5th wheel anything like a dream. It is NOT his daily driver.

Diesels are not for everyone. They destroy oil and need to be changed every 3000 miles. I changed the oil in my 1966 Mercedes 200D every 2K.

If I was "living on the road", I would go gas. In fact, I pull my 27 ft Airstream with a 1978 Ford 350. 460 V8, baby!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding. I have spent considerable time wieghing, has vs duesel, Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Just is not something that I have to worry about living in California. Hey, I just found a good thing about this state. Who da thunk it! With rust not being a concern, this truck will probably out last me. Fuel costs vary across the country. Some areas has is less, some areas diesel is less. This is a high investment so I'm still trying to make sure I don't let any details slip past me. Any other thoughts and experience is appreciated.
Joe

·
Registered
110 Posts
I drive a 2014 RAM 3500 (CC LB SRW). I highly suggest stepping up to a 3500 if you plan to do some towing. The weight of the diesel engine eats up a lot of payload on a 2500. There is not much cost difference between a 2500 and a 3500. The 3500 is a bit harder to find used though (I spent months looking for mine) ... unless you want to go with dual rear wheels.

Also, make sure you get the exhaust brake on whatever truck you decide on. The newer models should all have them now. It makes all the difference in the world when doing down steep inclines under load.

I love my RAM. My trailer is loaded to around 13.5 k with a pin weight of about 2.7k. So far I've towed about 7k miles or so with my truck ... up and down a number of steep grades. I set the cruise right about 61 MPH and let the truck do the rest. The truck would pull fast if I wanted to, but I like safety margins. Even so, I'm usually passing when going up steep grades ... then I get passed going down the other side because my exhaust brake kicks in and I can descend in complete control.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I own a 98 Dodge 3500 Cumins with over 300,000 miles on it, It has the original untouched motor in it, Automatic Transmission has been rebuild a couple times.
It is an awesome truck.
I am also a Toyota fan too, But they don't make anything that even comes close to a full size Diesel pickup at this time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have '17 Dodge Power Wagon, basically and off-road built 2500 series. It has the 6.4 Hemi. Pulls like a champ. I pull a 20' enclosed with 2 RZRs and my TW. Altogether about 6000#. It does great. Not good on mileage, but I am sorry, who really buys a truck like this for the mileage. I don't tow big enough or far enough to justify the expense of a diesel since it adds about $10-15K to the price of the rig. I figure that is a lot of gas I can buy. Plus the Power Wagon is just plain awesome! Factory lifted, 12k winch, Front AND rear lockers, electronic disconnect sway bar. Now I can't parallel park it downtown well but I am OK with that!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I own a ram 2500 QCLB cummins 2006 model and really enjoy it. I was going to buy a 3500 SRW but decided that they can keep their overpriced overload spring considering that's the only difference in the 3rd generation trucks between 2500 and 3500 SRW models. I have torklift stable loads and air bags any ways. I wouldn't buy a diesel any newer than july/2007 build date because of all the added BS that they have after that and I'm not into all the delete and tuning stuff. I would however buy a new truck with the gasser if I was in the market. the extra cost of the diesel just isn't worth it to me any more unless you absolutely NEED it. I don't think any of the Japanese manufacturers really build a truck to compare to the 2500+ models of the American trucks. I haul a camper, gear, and motorcycle off the back and a 1500 just wasn't enough for me to feel comfortable or safe. What ever you choose make sure you have enough to be safe and comfortable and safe. Just because a truck says its in the limits doesn't mean that its a great Idea.
Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Rumor has it Toyota is going to put a Cummings engine and Allison tranny in a Tundra.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I drive Fords and probaby will in most cases forever. I will give my borthers opinion (he is a mechanic, owns his own garage, did dealership work and meduim duy truck work for 30 years). He thinks they are all the same, give or take. Each model and year has a particular strength or weakness. He has a race F250 Diesel he tows with his daily driver F250 Diesel. He also races a Jeep CJ with a big block Chevy, has a party bus E450 Diesel, has a 70 AMX and a full size Chevy plow truck. he has owned Dodge/Cummins and Duramax. Why all the Fords right now? I think because they use pretty common parts and his bus happens to be a Ford.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Rumor has it Toyota is going to put a Cummings engine and Allison tranny in a Tundra.
If true that would be a killer truck. A buddy just bought a new crew cab Tundra with V-8 and about every bell and whistle offered and it rides like a Cadillac and and hauls ass when necessary. He drags a off road jeep on a car trailer behind it and forgets it is even there. I have a 2016 4 Runner Limited and his Tundra drives and rides nicer and makes me want another pick up. Wife and me have been in Toyota's for the past 11 years and have never even had a single repair done with the exception of front brake rotors and pads that I do myself.

I think I must agree with a post from above. My 2002 F-250 had a 7.3 diesel I think was made by International and it was a great engine. 2002 was right around the time diesel went stupid. At first I was paying $1.87 when regular gas was $2.25. Then it flipped and diesel was more expensive than gas. Newer F-250s have a different diesel I hear nothing great about. The Cummings are or at least were a great engine until the regulations forced them to de tune them to meet emissions standards. Now as I understand it you have to buy the truck and then go through the BS of making it perform with chips and other upgrades to bring it back to where it should be.

GaryL

·
Registered
816 Posts
all opinions but the tundra and the titan xd still don't compare to a 2500 as far as axles brakes ect. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CUMMINS IS NOT CUMMINGS!

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
all opinions but the tundra and the titan xd still don't compare to a 2500 as far as axles brakes ect. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CUMMINS IS NOT CUMMINGS!
I misspelled it this last post simply because I was cumming talking about stuff I have some knowing about. Apples to oranges when comparing a half ton to a 3/4 ton truck but pound for pound I will take a Toyota over the big 3 if a half ton will get it done.

Check my spellin in post #3

GaryL

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Lol I did go to Ridgemont High. Yes Toyota tundras aren't 2500s. but who is to say they aren't listening and will put out a bigger chassis.If you are paying attention we are entering an electric revolution. Some projections have all electric heavy trucks moving all freight in 8 years as battery densities go up and prices per KW go down. Norway is building an autonomous electric cargo ship to freight stuff Now. A diesel truck for Toyota willl be a stop gap measure until electrics go full bore. In the mean time my gas Tundra pulls my 27' TT with two TW'S in the bed just fine. I may put air bags on it make it even more rock steady.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts