TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Five or six years ago, I was riding my Triumph Thunderbird Sport to Indianapolis on I-69. Traffic was moderately heavy, but we were traveling along at about 70mph. I was cruising in the left lane when I noticed a few cars ahead of me, someone was hoisting a laser printer out of the rear driver’s side window. As it hit the left shoulder, it exploded in a cloud of toner and glass, plastic and metal shrapnel. Who the heck does that? Bits of it hit me and my bike, but I escaped injury or damage. Subhuman behavior at its finest.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I've had some type of stinger (bee, wasp, etc.) get sucked into the chin opening of the helmet a few times over the years while riding on track, some at triple digit speeds. Never stung though. Never panicked, just signaled to anyone possibly behind me that there was a problem and I was slowing, then I'd pull off the race line and quickly lift the visor for it to fly out.

Had a guy get popped & stung in the neck by something at around 70mph at the track, and by the time he pitted in, he was having trouble breathing, and could barely remove the chin strap due to the swelling. It was crazy!

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
In addition to 2 painful wrecks street riding back in the day...the close encounter with "Wildlife" I recall was back in the mid 80s riding my Yamaha 650 at about 65 mph...a large black bird, slammed into my chest...taking both hands off the bars...lucky I quickly recovered and avoided crashing ...however it did leave and "impression" and bruise on my chest...:eek::oops:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
In addition to 2 painful wrecks street riding back in the day...the close encounter with "Wildlife" I recall was back in the mid 80s riding my Yamaha 650 at about 65 mph...a large black bird, slammed into my chest...taking both hands off the bars...lucky I quickly recovered and avoided crashing ...however it did leave and "impression" and bruise on my chest...:eek::oops:
I'm picturing the scene in Wild Hogs where the black bird slams into John Travolta while he's riding. :D

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k); 19' S3, 09' F-250, 97' Cherokee
559 Posts
Around some eleven years ago or so, I attempted a race with a couple of Antelopes, just outside of Antelope Valley, NV. I was riding a desolate single track, flat across the desert. Cloudy day. Mid week day off, not a human in sight. The single track was not technical, not super interesting, just flat and straight. While zipping along at about 30 mph, I noticed two antelope flat out running straight toward the single track, perpendicular to me - heading my general direction. Once we were less than 50 feet, they both quickly turned and ran parallel to me for about 10-15 seconds. Then, BAM!! They cut directly in front of me and crossed the single track. It was necessary to fully engage both brakes to prevent a collision!

Neat critters. They like their 90 degree turns for some reason.

I also once chased a large black bear up, above Reno some 2-3000 feet higher by Hunter Lake. That is another really quiet area, it wasn't super popular then anyway. It was close to dusk I was doing a big loop, getting close to head back down. It crossed the road in front of me and made way for the forest. I decided to follow it for a little bit. I was much younger, and much more brave (or stupid). I remember it running directly away from me, while continuing to look back at me, as if he was thinking, "is he still following me?". No incidents happened. I lost interest as the open forest turned thick and I could no longer "keep up".

I've had a number of stings throughout my riding years. Mostly in the neck. Once made it into my chest area. Another around the wrist area. ...I've always worried about getting stung directly in the eye. Anyone else have this fear? I can imagine that would really be a horrible experience.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts