TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some frustration with folks recently while trying to sell things. I just don't understand where people are coming from sometimes. No need to go crazy, just my opinions. So here goes.

Say I have an item for sale. Lets call it item A. And it is priced at price X. So it goes up for sale at a classifieds site and says price is firm. Time goes by and many replies come in with low ball offers. No reason, no explanation, nothing as to why item A is worth less than price X. I am reasonable I am willing to hear suggestions or constructive criticism. I also take time to research and price things reasonably and don't sell crap. I don't understand where people get off with this kind of attitude. However even more frustrating is when people low ball price X and want item A as well as item B and C. Now come on folks what the hell is that all about.

I have also had people low ball me in an add that says "buyer responsible for shipping and paypal fees". I expect the low ball, but people really expect to offer 75% and have the shipping and paypal fees thrown in too just because?

I'm an honest hard working guy just trying to get along. I don't cheat, steal, or lie because that is not how you treat people. You have the right to be upset when warranted, but you need to be respectful and honest. I'm not saying that these folks are trying to cheat or steal from me, but I do feel it is disrespectful to act like this just because you feel like you are "entitled". If you want to haggle with someone do it respectfully and be reasonable. Peoples hard earned dollars and Items are worth something so treat them as such.

End rant.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I think we have similar buying and selling habits. Haggling is for horsetraders and bitches, neither of which have I any use for. When buying, if an item is priced, I either pay that price or tell the seller why I'm walking away. No haggling. Seller can take it upon himself or herself to offer a better price, and I will consider one offer. After all, we both know what is a fair price. Don't insult me by piling on the bull crap. I often walk in, tell the seller I don't haggle, and give me a price. I'll either take it or leave it, and the seller only gets one chance. When selling, I always price fairly, maybe a little low. Try to haggle and you won't be taking it home. No exceptions. We both know what an item is worth.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree with the both of you. But the truth is, if someone sends out 100 lowball offers and makes buys on one or a few, then they can sell at a profit. That's probably not gonna stop so ya just gotta ignore them and shrug it off. If ya can, it'll save the frustration.

my 1.5 cents

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and/or what someone is willing to let it go for. supply and demand.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
The flip side to low ballers is there are sellers that over price what they are selling looking for a sucker. Example: $30 float bowl gasket on ebay.

As joeband says it is supply and demand. Haggle if you want to, don't haggle if you don't want to. Pay the price if you think it is worth it, don't buy it if not. There is no right or wrong. You can't blame people looking for a great deal or for trying to maximize their profit on what they are selling. It is all part of the game.

·
Registered
503 Posts
funny thing this came up. I just did a set of racks with some modifications as per the buyer's specs. Put them in the mail, and told him the total with the shipping.

Now he wants to haggle!?

Come on man!

so now, he gets the package, tells me how good they look, and ups his payment. But still not to the original $ amount we came up with at the start.

I feel I make a good product, at a reasonable price. My profit margins are small once you factor in the time to make them, cost to power/heat the 'shop', and source the materials.

perhaps I should raise my prices to all? Or at least get payment up front?

I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus here, but just needed to get this off my chest.
and that's my .02

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I understand supply in demand. Also understand people trying to stretch out their hard earned dollars. I even understand that people seem to like to haggle or at least expect it to be normal. All I'm saying here is to be respectful and reasonable about it. I have people repeatedly offer me 50% of my asking price with "firm price" listed right in the add. As for sellers that think they should sell something for double just because they are just as guilty. Get a clue folks.

If you were gonna sell your TW thats worth lets say 1800 bucks. Good shape all around and a handful of accessories. Then Rufus comes along and says "I'll give you 400 bucks for it". Where does this guy come up with this thinking. Or better yet "I'll give you 400 bucks for it and I want all your riding gear in the background including pants, jacket, helmet, and gloves."

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
The only advice I can give is don't take it personal. Just say "no deal" and move on.

Or if you feel like haggling, counter with "$2400 and its ALL yours!" You can add "that is a hell of a deal and I shouldn't do it but I like you. You seem like a smart person, nobody's fool. I can tell you are a person with class and good taste. Yep, just for you -- everything for $2400!" Have fun with it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sometimes that is exactly the answer people get back. I will admit that it wears on me at times hence this rant. When the unreasonable s roll in at at least 20 to 1 if not more. I wonder what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
funny thing this came up. I just did a set of racks with some modifications as per the buyer's specs. Put them in the mail, and told him the total with the shipping. Now he wants to haggle!?
Come on man!
this is a different scenario. unless he has an issue with the quality or fit etc.... upon which the buyer could discuss that with the seller, but to outright try to weasel out of an agreed price.... not cool.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
This is an issue that goes back at least as far as "The world's oldest profession". As a seller, one should price fair, & ignore all low balls. If it's ftf sales, for example, a garage sale, kindly ask the low ball to leave, or "Put up or shut up!" is good too. Remember to laugh, it's good for you, & helps you to remember how to put that behavior into correct prospective.

(Wait, "Balls" & "Oldest profession"?? I really must work on my analogies...) :eek: m.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think we have similar buying and selling habits. Haggling is for horsetraders and bitches, neither of which have I any use for. When buying, if an item is priced, I either pay that price or tell the seller why I'm walking away. No haggling. Seller can take it upon himself or herself to offer a better price, and I will consider one offer. After all, we both know what is a fair price. Don't insult me by piling on the bull crap. I often walk in, tell the seller I don't haggle, and give me a price. I'll either take it or leave it, and the seller only gets one chance. When selling, I always price fairly, maybe a little low. Try to haggle and you won't be taking it home. No exceptions. We both know what an item is worth.
I have really missed this guy! No bullshit just straight to the point answers.

funny thing this came up. I just did a set of racks with some modifications as per the buyer's specs. Put them in the mail, and told him the total with the shipping.

Now he wants to haggle!?

Come on man!

so now, he gets the package, tells me how good they look, and ups his payment. But still not to the original $ amount we came up with at the start.

I feel I make a good product, at a reasonable price. My profit margins are small once you factor in the time to make them, cost to power/heat the 'shop', and source the materials.

I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus here, but just needed to get this off my chest.
and that's my .02
I say throw them under the bus! Let everyone know what kind of person he is so that no one else is put in the same predicament as you have been. That is pretty shitty of someone to agree on a price and then weasel their way out of it after you have paid for time, supplies and shipping. Jimbo and the guys at cycleracks also use the honor system. I wonder how many times they have had similar issues. It is sad that guys like this are on our forum and i hope you do call them out.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The only advice I can give is don't take it personal. Just say "no deal" and move on.
^^^this...i do a lot of selling on CL for my grandfather family and myself and i have to do a lot of homework on items sometimes to figure out what they are worth...i also put a ton of info an photos in the ads so they should have no questions yet i still get the normal ones like how much? or will you deliver? or will you hold it? or where are you located?...then there is the spam mail...just read the ad and don't waste my time!...but around here most people lowball so it's expected...depending on the item i will either post it fairly and say firm or post it up a little high and let a lowballer come in and offer what i want...if right off the bat i get a good feeling from someone (usually if they call me on the phone i will give them the real price right away)...emailers and texters i tell to call me to weed out non serious buyers and if i get a bad vibe or they sounds like they are giving me the run around after talking to them i will i usually mess with them a bit...tell them i have another imaginary buyer coming soon to look at it and if you want it you need to come by before them and say they offered full asking price if it comes up...these people are annoying and i don't owe them anything so if you're going to mess with me your going to get it right back...most of the stuff i'm in no rush to sell so if it takes months or years to sell i could care less...95% of my transactions i meet really cool and awesome people...but that other 5% i would rather tell to pound sand before i waste my time

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic-other-bikes/9025-tips-buying-selling-craigslist.html

·
Registered
7,013 Posts

Now he wants to haggle!?
Once the order is placed the haggling is done! When you place the order you agree to pay the price at the time the order was placed. Period. Anything else is BS!

·
Registered
976 Posts

Now he wants to haggle!?

Come on man!

and that's my .02
Shorting you on the agreed upon purchase price isn't haggling, it's flat out stealing. If he didn't want to pay he shouldn't have ordered the racks.

It only takes one loser to ruin the honor system for everybody. Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with garbage like that, Tim.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Shorting you on the agreed upon purchase price isn't haggling, it's flat out stealing. If he didn't want to pay he shouldn't have ordered the racks.

It only takes one loser to ruin the honor system for everybody. Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with garbage like that, Tim.

110%. ^ I second the motion to call him out publicly, if he insists on not paying the agreed to price. Everyone should know who he is and should deal with him in the defense mode. ( I would not deal at all ) Just my $.02 , Dave

1 - 20 of 36 Posts