TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm losing a solid 3-4 drops every time I stop somewhere. If oil is thinned, I can lose as much as a two-quarter sized puddle! I check the oil level EVERY time before I start the bike and it regularly sits just under the top line! When it drips, it leaves gold drops in the snow so I know it's fresh oil. Currently, my oil filter cover is leaking and my base gasket is leaking. My question is, could the gasket between the two pieces of crankcase be leaking?? It appears to come from there as it is dripping in the dead center of the motor, but I cannot dismiss it as the base gasket dripping. Is this common for this gasket between the crankcase pieces to leak? Bike is an '06 with ~6000 miles. I cannot find the replacement gasket to save my life if this is the issue.

Thanks,

Kyle

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I need to remove the cover over the front sprocket to access it?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yes, you'll have to remove the cover to get to it. I'd pull the skid plate off and try to get a look from underneath it first. It may be something else, but that's a good place to start.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
" Is this common for this gasket between the crankcase pieces to leak? Bike is an '06 with ~6000 miles. I cannot find the replacement gasket to save my life if this is the issue. "

Yes this a problem with the 06' and some 07'. You can replace it with a 2010 or newer gasket. There is a sticky in the Tech section for this fix.

I got a quote for $400.00 for the dealer to fix, others on here say it takes a few hours but can be done by yourself.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
" Is this common for this gasket between the crankcase pieces to leak? Bike is an '06 with ~6000 miles. I cannot find the replacement gasket to save my life if this is the issue. "

Yes this a problem with the 06' and some 07'. You can replace it with a 2010 or newer gasket. There is a sticky in the Tech section for this fix.

I got a quote for $400.00 for the dealer to fix, others on here say it takes a few hours but can be done by yourself.

Tracy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I got a quote from my dealer of $250.oo I guess that wasn't to bad then... Both my 06 and wife's 06 has the same small leak........ It's so small I haven't even bothered to fix it yet......... OMM.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
That is a good deal. If it was only $250 I would have it done. But the leak is so small that I never see the oil level change, and no drops on the floor just the engine case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Tracy

I might just be being stupid, but I don't see the thread. Just to clarify, this is *not* the base gasket between the cylinder and crankcase. It is the gasket between the two main pieces of crankcase as shown in this diagram...

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004567bf8700209bc7930b6/crankcase

As you can see, no gasket is listend for this

I have pulled the skidplate before and it was already all mudded up. *looked* like it was coming from between the two cases. The only thing that leads me to believe this is not the issue is that I only get 3-4 drops (or the puddle if I rode for a while) after I park it for 1 day or 4 days. So, once it's been off, the leak stops. I don't know if this is because the oil thickens or if it's because the leak is higher.

Kyle

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Have you attempted to retorque the bolts?......no-doubt,replace the oil filter cover o-rings and others.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you attempted to retorque the bolts?......no-doubt,replace the oil filter cover o-rings and others.

I'm actually looking at the valve cover gaskets (adjusting valve lash!), oil change gasket set, and TDC gasket set! They came in today
Re-torquing all the bolts are on my to-do when I fix all these other gaskets. I'm also changing out the clutch here soon, so that gasket is getting changed soon as well.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I would clean it up good and put some baby powder on it and find out for sure where its leaking. Might put in a new oring on the oil filter cover first. Be 100% sure before you think about taking engine apart. I had to do a base gasket on my 07 and it wasnt that bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
I might just be being stupid, but I don't see the thread. Just to clarify, this is *not* the base gasket between the cylinder and crankcase. It is the gasket between the two main pieces of crankcase as shown in this diagram...

http://www.yamahapar...930b6/crankcase

As you can see, no gasket is listend for this

I have pulled the skidplate before and it was already all mudded up. *looked* like it was coming from between the two cases. The only thing that leads me to believe this is not the issue is that I only get 3-4 drops (or the puddle if I rode for a while) after I park it for 1 day or 4 days. So, once it's been off, the leak stops. I don't know if this is because the oil thickens or if it's because the leak is higher.

Kyle

This one

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/2668-beginners-guide-to-base-gasket-replacement/

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Fix your known oil leaks first, especially the oil filter cover -- that one is duck soup easy -- two o-rings!

If it is coming from the left side replace your shift shaft seal and the front sprocket shaft seals -- there are two of them. Look real close at your neutral switch because that leaks too sometimes but cost $25 to $30 so you want to make sure it is leaking before you replace it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
957 Posts
Something I would like to point out, because this has happened to me MANY times.

After an oil change, you are supposed to check the oil flow by removing the 10mm bolt in the head. Usually, this gets away on me and a fair-sized glob of oil will spew out before I realize it. This oil has a tendency to slither around the head fins and lie in wait until you put her on the kick stand. Then, it will start to flow towards the left side of the engine, and overnight it will find its way down to the skid plate.

Other easy-to-fix leak source(s) are the valve covers. I know that my exhaust VC is leaking and that I need to install a stud because I stripped the screw last time...which is probably why it's leaking in the first place.

And as others have stated, it's easier to find a leak, when you have a CLEAN template to work with...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a persistent leak on my '06; it lasted through 3 warranty changes of the base gasket. I finally got it to stop by going to a heavier oil. I frequently ride in below freezing temps and saw no real difference in cold starting performance.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a persistent leak on my '06; it lasted through 3 warranty changes of the base gasket. I finally got it to stop by going to a heavier oil. I frequently ride in below freezing temps and saw no real difference in cold starting performance.....

This is what I am worried I will have to do
I'm not worried about cold start performance, I'm just worried about oil reaching the head as quickly as possible. I grabbed my roommates 20w-50 out of his car the other night when it got real cold and I could see it moving around like warm honey. I know I'm probably worried over nothing, but I will stick with Mobil 4T until I'm back in Texas and then maybe go to a 10w-30 or even the 20w-50, though I think the 50 will find more leaks haha! Thank you for sharing your experience though! I appreciate it!

Kyle

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know this is an older post, but there is no gasket between the crankcase halves. Yamabond is used to seal the crankcase halves at the factory and if the cases have to be split for transmission or crank work, Yamabond is available to reseal the case halves upon reassembly.

Base gasket (between cylinder and bottom end), head gasket, valve covers, cam sprocket cover, countershaft seal, neutral seal, etc are all possible sources of leaks. It would be very unlikely to develop an actual crankcase leak unless of physical damage to lower end or if someone has had the case halves apart for bottom end work.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I know this is an older post, but there is no gasket between the crankcase halves. Yamabond is used to seal the crankcase halves at the factory and if the cases have to be split for transmission or crank work, Yamabond is available to reseal the case halves upon reassembly.

Base gasket (between cylinder and bottom end), head gasket, valve covers, cam sprocket cover, countershaft seal, neutral seal, etc are all possible sources of leaks. It would be very unlikely to develop an actual crankcase leak unless of physical damage to lower end or if someone has had the case halves apart for bottom end work.

+1!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is why I love the TW community! Thank you for reviving this with an answer
I have allowed the leak to get worse since I have made the move from CO to TX and done a ton of very hot offroading. I am convinced the base gasket is allowing itself to drip down the crankcase. So now I gotta find one of these magic $250 repair dealers to convince me to not do it myself! Haha! Do you think I would be able to request the newer gasket since the '06 still references the older part number?

Kyle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts