TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expect everybody knows what a Rat Bike is - an eccentric's duded up personal ride. There is also the Rat Rod, a hot rod equivalent. You'll see it dressed over the top, and accessorized weird for the shock and awe factor, just for the helluvit. One popular order of dress is the mobile garbage dump look. There are many others. The main theme seems to be deliberate dishevelment. They go over well in parades, exhibition shows and such.

I did see one well used TW example, outwardly neglected and beat up but still plated and running fine - likely a sleeper a couple of years ago. However, in my experience the typical TW is usually well clipped and pressed, and in good nick.

Do we have any TW 200 rat bikes in our midst?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The Rat version of locomotion I think derived from the 'chopper' thought process, where less is more. Where MacGyver rules and the essence of the machine is foremost over esthetics. This was reinvented by the current generation as 'Steam Punk'. At least in my opinion. Where the rivets are accentuated, not hidden. Where the dents of hammer blows are highlighted with shadow rather than filled in with body filler. Where evolved oxidation rates over fresh paint.
I rather like the look of Rat, chopped, steampunk. The inner workings are exposed for the observer to appreciate, not hidden.

·
Premium Member
2018 TW200 - Ricochet Skid Plate, Fancy lookin' pegs.
130 Posts
The Rat version of locomotion I think derived from the 'chopper' thought process, where less is more. Where MacGyver rules and the essence of the machine is foremost over esthetics. This was reinvented by the current generation as 'Steam Punk'. At least in my opinion. Where the rivets are accentuated, not hidden. Where the dents of hammer blows are highlighted with shadow rather than filled in with body filler. Where evolved oxidation rates over fresh paint.
I rather like the look of Rat, chopped, steampunk. The inner workings are exposed for the observer to appreciate, not hidden.
Definitely. That's right up my alley.

The way I see it, things are going to acquire scratches and dents along the way if they are used. Might as well embrace them.

Now, there is an extreme where this gets tacky, but when tastefully applied, it's great.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see no rats, yet.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have rat plans for one of my scooters. It survived an upside down landing from eye level. I am riding it as is but it is kinda tacky looking with misaligned body panels, etc.

This bike has a fanatical following and one of the cults is all about naked scooters. It is a good looking chassis, so I think I'll strip off the Tupperware and make a rat adventure bike out of it.

Hopefully this winter.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
Like this? It doesn't look like this anymore.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Not a TW and not really a rat bike but here’s an example of a stock vs a modded bike. These bikes are both 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SFs. Each has about 11,000 miles. Left is stock and right is a prior owner’s version of a naked transformation. I still have my 05 TW, but I bought these little Kawis this year because the prices of used TWs are out of control. I’ve become a big fan of these because of the 6-speeds, excellent suspension setups, and good value for the price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to have to leave this here.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Ecoregion Automotive tire

An 87 TW and a blaster had a baby. I call it the Big Wheelie. It's still a work in progress, and this is the second time I've rescued this basket case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts