TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not rocket science but I had not really paid attention to this until today. At my 190 pounds the rear suspension it pretty soft. However, I found that if I sit closer to the tank I load the bike more even and it handles much better. It also notice how much better it absorbs the bumps with a closer to 50/50 bias.

I may be the only one that did not realize this. On my bigger bikes it is not so noticeable since I make up less of the total mass and the suspension is better.

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Yep, the farther back I sit, the more I feel like it's a springboard ready to launch me to the moon. Accidently, I sit further towards the gas tank like you mention. Standing helps absorb the bumps nicely as well...I just hate standing!

·
Registered
188 Posts
SInce we are on suspension, I'm 185 pounds and my front shocks seem hard/harsh to me. I live where the paved roads are no lines and sort of rough, so I feel as if I have too harsh of a set up , up front. As far as I know I'm running all stock. 2007

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
SInce we are on suspension, I'm 185 pounds and my front shocks seem hard/harsh to me. I live where the paved roads are no lines and sort of rough, so I feel as if I have too harsh of a set up , up front. As far as I know I'm running all stock. 2007
I think you may be bottoming out on bumps, My 2005 (should be the same as yours) is very soft and will bottom easily. I have new springs and oil to install next and will be looking into either a rear spring or omplete shock in the future.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
While we're on the topic, does anyone have the actual dimentions and spring rate of the rear shock? I'm going to look into having an Ohlins shock made for mine.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dirt bikes have long seats for a reason. Move forward to load the front tire in corners and move back to unload it in the soft stuff. You should be sliding back and forth all the time you are off road to adjust for the conditions.

Street bike seating positions are fixed in place because they don't usually go off road.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
While we're on the topic, does anyone have the actual dimentions and spring rate of the rear shock? I'm going to look into having an Ohlins shock made for mine.
Scraped this idea, not worth the investment... Ordered a spring from Procycle today.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I was going to mention the Procycle,but figured you knew and wanted a mega shock?. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I was going to mention the Procycle,but figured you knew and wanted a mega shock?. Let us know how it works for you.
Will do. If the new spring for the shock makes as much difference as the fork springs did I'll be very happy.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sure that both front and rear spring will make this a lot less noticeable. I certainly intend to do them both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts