TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Rattle

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TW-Brian 
#1 ·
I hate a rattle. Today I discovered the cap on my muffler is vibrating. It is loud enough to hear over the exhaust. I tried to remove the screw at the bottom of the cap, but it will not budge. Should there be a spacer between the muffler and the cap? This may seem a bit OCD to some, but I would like to stop the rattle.
Any thoughts?
Auto part

See less See more
Reactions: Ken
#2 ·
Since you can't get the end cap off anyways, here is what you could do (assuming that aesthetics are not too important to you).

Take a wire brush and clean the paint off a small area of the seam between the end cap and the body of the muffler. Then ride your bike to your friendly local muffler shop and ask if they would kindly put a small tack weld on there to stop the rattle. Then use a file or grinder to smooth out any sharp edges and hit it with shot of flat black spray paint. This should be a semi-permanent fix that could always be gound off in the future if needed.

#3 ·
This doesn't make much sense to me. The usual thing about older mufflers is that not only is the bolt frozen, but the end cap is also. However, the spark arrestor inside the muffler may well have partially disintegrated and that could be causing the noise. You need to do multiple applications of PB Blaster and heat from a torch to the bolt to see if you can get it out and see what's going on in there.

#4 ·
I hate a rattle. Today I discovered the cap on my muffler is vibrating. It is loud enough to hear over the exhaust. I tried to remove the screw at the bottom of the cap, but it will not budge. Should there be a spacer between the muffler and the cap? This may seem a bit OCD to some, but I would like to stop the rattle.
Any thoughts?
View attachment 199506
Easily correctable. You choose the correct silencer!

Claw hammer Hammer Tool Antique tool Metalworking hand tool

#5 · (Edited)
Most of your "silencers" seem to have a lot of experience.
In the Air Force we called it Brogan Maintenance.

I would prefer to get the end cap off. I'll work on the screw.

Reactions: admiral
#6 ·
Problem solved.
I removed the muffler so I could turn it over and give my full attention to that stuck screw.
I soaked it, tapped it, left it over night.
I soaked it again, tapped it again, twisted, put my full body weight into the screwdriver, heated it, tapped it, and eventually cussed it.:angry5: The screw would not budge.
During one of my cussing episodes, I grabbed a universal "adjuster" as suggested by admiral and smacked the muffler three times at the seam next to the screw. :violent1:
Problem solved. No rattle.:icon_cheers: Thanks admiral for your sage advice.

#9 ·
TW, you misunderstood. I was not able to get the screw out. I just bent the muffler enough to wedge against the cap and stop the rattle.

Reactions: TW-Brian
#11 ·
For the love of God guy's doesn't anybody own a drill and drill bit? Drill the head off the screw "15 seconds", pull the cap, make repairs, install cap and thread a new mounting screw/bolt.

I wasted 10 minutes trying to get mine out. After drilling it I had mine fixed and back together in 15 minutes or less.

Food for thought.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.