TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is involved in registering a TW for street use in California, once its been green stickered? The previous owner of mine decided to do it and I wanted to choke him ever since. I'm about to dump a bunch of money in mine and don't want to get screwed in the end with something I cant even use. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Was it an original CA motorcycle? If yes I bet you will need the vapor recovery tin can attached.

Call DMV and ask and report back here. I am curious.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Was it an original CA motorcycle? If yes I bet you will need the vapor recovery tin can attached.

Call DMV and ask and report back here. I am curious.
If you are missing the vapor catch-can and need to borrow mine for an inspection let me know.

josh

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Interesting question. Let us know what you find out.

I got yer back if you need the loan of a tank and Josh has got it on the canister if you need to go to a B.A.R. referee. I'm guessing there will be a VIN and light inspection.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
First thing that you will need to do is get a brake and light inspection completed. This is pretty straightforward. The biggest problem you will have is finding a place that will do this for motorcycles. All they do is make sure that the bike has a functional high and low beam headlight, tail light, turn signals, brake light, horn and mirror.

Next, make sure that your bike has an emissions sticker. This is usually on the inside of the one of the plastic side covers.

I usually call the local police and have them come out and perform a vehicle verification on the bike. This will help make DMV's job easier.

Take your bike, vehicle verification and the brake and light inspection report to DMV. Depending upon how helpful/knowledgeable the clerk is, you will typically be able to accomplish one of the following options:

A)Explain that the bike was originally sold as street legal and that you wish to get it plated again. They may try and tell you that you will have to take the bike to CHP. Explain that you have already had the bike verified by a law enforcement officer and that a CHP inspection is not necessary. It may be necessary to talk to a supervisor if the clerk insists that you must take the bike to CHP. If this option doesn't work, go to plan B.

B)Explain that you would like to get the bike dual registered. This is explained below:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch15/ch15_15.htm

Not very many DMV clerks are familiar with this process so I'd suggest that you print out the above section of the vehicle code so you can walk them through this process. This will result in your bike being issued a plate and a green sticker. This will cost a little more initially but when your green sticker comes up for renewal you can just convert that to non-op status. Again there is no need to take your bike to CHP for this process.

Be prepared for a little DMV brain death, but there is no reason why your bike can't be plated. I have never had anyone look for the emissions cannister. All they care about is the sticker.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Is this the sticker? I have one for an '87 TW you can use if you need it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was led to believe that in California you must also have a green sticker to ride on trails along with current registration for street use. If this isn't true I should be able to get a prorated refund from DMV.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Green stickers are strictly for offroad vehicles.

Anything with a license plate is welcome anywhere.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If your bike is street legal, you don't need a green/red sticker no way no how in CA. Not at OHV parks, not on forest service roads, not anywhere you can take a green sticker vehicle. I went through this research last year when I was trying to find a way to get my kid to be able to ride the other TW with me before he was moto legal. Pointless to green sticker a licensed vehicle... if you have a license.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
If your bike is plated, you do not need a green sticker to ride at OHV parks. Your plate will allow you access to all OHV parks. You will still need an approved spark arrester and must be able to pass a noise test if stopped by a park ranger.

If your bike is already dual registered, i.e., has both a plate and a green sticker, you could convert the green sticker to non-op status when your renewal comes due and then just use your plate for both street and offroad riding (although technically you are required to maintain both registrations).

Good luck trying to get a refund.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I believe a county sheriff can do the brake-light-horn inspection for you. If I remember correctly, I believe my brother had this done right outside the DMV. But I could be wrong about that...

As for the green sticker thing, I was basically conned into getting plate/green sticker dual registration, by the (IDIOT CLOWN-MONKEY) people at the dealer who sold me my new TW in 2007 (the dealer was the target of multiple customer law suits over recent years and is thankfully no longer in business). I never really put any thought into it and just assumed - after I realized I only needed the plate - that I was screwed and would just have to keep paying both registrations. It's no longer an issue for me as that bike is being parted out (by the way check the "classifieds" section on the forum if you need any parts).

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Kj, word of advice: Unless you sell the frame to someone and FULLY and LEGALLY transfer the obligation, you need to scrap that frame properly to a salvage outfit FULLY and LEGALLY with ALL the proper paperwork and make damned sure it gets filed or both registration bills will follow you til yer dead.

Jerry's on a campaign to empty your wallet and will get right into your bank account for his munny. You'll have no avenue of recourse against them, either. The DMV uses the Franchise Tax Board for collections and they don't have any knowlege that it's a DMV debt. They treat it as a tax debt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was led to believe that in California you must also have a green sticker to ride on trails along with current registration for street use. If this isn't true I should be able to get a prorated refund from DMV.

Thanks alot guys. The non-op on the green sticker is probably going to be the easy way to go but I'm going to ask for that refund anyway and I'll let you know if I succed.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Note to self: Never live in California.

Have you guys ever heard of the 2nd Ammendment? It's for dealing with governments that become a bit too, hmmm, intrusive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Note to self: Never live in California.

Have you guys ever heard of the 2nd Ammendment? It's for dealing with governments that become a bit too, hmmm, intrusive.

Yeah, but we struggle with 2A restrictions that are on par with C.A.R.B.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Yeah, but we struggle with 2A restrictions infringements that are on par with C.A.R.B.
FTFY

Maybe I should print you Kaliforniots, what few there are left, some t-shirts that ask, "WHAT PART OF 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" DO YOU LIBTARDS NOT UNDERSTAND?"

Definition of INFRINGE

transitive verb

1: to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Oh Q, it’s bad out here all right! And if you think the Dept.-O-Moto Vehicular insanity sounds bad, well, I’m sure you’ve heard the stories… AND they won’t let you have any of the kool toys that almost every other state lets ya!!

Admittedly, a lot of Ca’s prob’s can be directly traced to one or more idiot’s doing something sooo F’d up that the simultaneous jerking of millions of knees sets off the San Andreas fault, which is closely monitored by lawyers, who then help put everything right by protecting us from ourselves.

We would all move out of state if we could, but we’ve heard what they do to Californian’s who’ve tried!
m.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Thank you for the detailed explanation of the Kalifornia political process. It all makes senseless, now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help. I got lazy and am just now ready to take my bike to DMV to register for the street. Of course I am missing the emissions sticker I need. Anyone have an extra?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts