TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a pair of ammo cans handy, and decided I wanted them on the bike.. thought about side mounting them, but didn't want to deal with it quite yet.

I have a tailbag, but wanted something waterproof(ish) and hard-shelled, so:

Sorry for the terrible pictures as usual. It seems I only get anything done late at night in poor lighting with only my phone handy.

I'm not thrilled with the mounting points, so I might revisit when I've got some more time and have the welder unburied. This uses the stock luggage pad that claims to be rated at 7lbs. I actually removed the pad and put my mounts down on the back fender. Hopefully it doesn't tear it up.

With some modifications to the cans, this is a lockable solution, as well. Something like http://www.ammolock.com/ offers.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I used those cans as side bags on a Suzuki GZ250 and simply put a bolt and nut through a hole drilled into the end of the can to match the hole in the opener (fits through that hole). Then drill a hole through the bolt and put your lock shackle through it. Cost < $1.00. I have pics somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and post.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a '53 M38A1, and yes, at the moment it's largely stock. So far the plan has been restoration and functional upgrades.

Here's a picture on what I'm pretty sure was the last dry day we've had (bonus TW peeking over the hood):

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
COOL! I wish I could have had one when I was 16 but no way I could afford anything so "expensive" back then. And the older ones are so much better than the ones made today.

A close friend had a '53 Jeep pickup. We transplanted a 283 small block into it. 30/30 Duntov cam (what were we thinking?) and 4 barrel. 5.13 gears but it also had overdrive -- a real overdrive between the rear drive shaft and the transfer case, not an additional 5fth gear like what they call overdrive today. A lot of good memories in that old truck -- from Oregon to Mexico.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As you can see.. I'm a bit of a Jeep nut
The utilitarian approach of the M38A1 matches very well with the TW200!

(..and the cherokees in the background don't do too bad as family haulers, either.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
sold my tw, but kept my jeep. 97 wrangler that I built the engine in (2.5, rv cam, decked head and block, header, 4.0 throttle body). i also had a willy's with a sbc. 327 open header. i had the external overdrive unit too, very cool setup but didnt really seem to change the ratio that much when engaged. bad to the bone tires 31 15.5's by goodyear. sold it about 3 years ago... good times

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
The OD unit the Jeep used was the same as used by Ford and GM that were in the tail shaft of their 3 speed transmission, technically giving you a 6 speed transmission, 1st gear, 1st gear OD, 2nd gear, 2nd gear OD, 3rd gear, 3rd gear OD.

When the OD unit was inactive the transmission acted like a regular 3 speed trans.

But when the OD unit was activated is when the fun started. It was complicated enough that you had to learn how to use it, not a simple shift into a higher gear. Over all it was about a 60% or so overdrive. Cars that came equipped with it also came with 4.11 rear ends, but with the overdrive engaged that was equal to about a 2.46 rear end. The 5.13 gears in the '53 Jeep pickup became equal to about 3.08 gears, a very highway friendly gear.

Its complexity doomed it but that is not to say it was not an excellent device. I have reminisced enough.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To continue the unrelated.. Warn bought rights to the old OD unit, and is manufacturing them brand new, still.. They bolt in where the PTO cover is on a D18/D20 transfer case. If I didn't have so many bills interrupting my fun all the time, I'd already have one in this jeep!

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Yes, Warn is one type of over drive and bolts to the PTO spot and I believe can be used in 2 and 4 wheel drive.

I am talking about the Borg-Warner (Rancho) overdrives that can only be used in 2 wheel drive.

http://www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com/id21.htm

Borg-Warner (Rancho) Overdrives

Besides the popular Warn overdrive, there is another type you might find on an old Jeep. The Borg-Warner overdrive is different than the Warn overdrive. It was originally designed for two wheel drive applications. An adapter kit was once available to mount one behind the Dana 18 transfer case. The rear driveshaft had to be shortened. Overdrive was only useable in 2WD. The Borg-Warner unit was a forerunner of the Warn overdrive. Once the Warn unit was introduced in the early 1960's, sales dropped off considerably because of the complex installation.

Anyway, your 50 cal cans are a great idea. Durable, waterproof and cheap. I didn't mean to change the subject. It is just I like old Jeeps.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You and me both
You can find me lurking on earlycj5.com when I'm not here or doing the dayjob thing.

Not much more to be said about the ammo cans anyway: unless someone wants to know how I did it without a cyclerack, the pictures speak for themselves.

I believe they're 9mm cans though, the 50cal ones are wider/taller? .. the side of the cans say 1000ct 9mm cartridges, fwiw.

I've found myself riding around with one of them containing tools, dry bag, rain pants, etc and latched closed, but I've been running a cargo net over the whole thing and running the other can without the top.. kinda nice having open-top storage, and they're tall enough to contain my hat and a soda and lunch

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
My last Jeep was a 70 CJ5 with a 383 SBC, SM465, Hone 27% overdrive, NP205, 5.13 Dana 44s with Triple-Ds on 4-links and coil-overs, and 33/15.50-15 Goodyear Terra Tires. After all that work and money, can't say it was any more fun than the stock MB it replaced.

Nice work with the ammo boxes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts