TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
My right side rear axle bearing bit the dust and the center part and bearings fell out.
The outer race is still firmly stuck in the hub trapping the inner spacer inside. as it will not clear the race to be removed. the spacer prevents the use of a bearing remover and also give no way to use a drift from the other side. Should I try to use the spacer to hammer the double bearing set out? Seems like a bad idea. Anybody gone through this?
mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having a hard time getting a visual picture on this situation. Please bear with me as IDK your skill set and what tools you have to your disposal. Before going to the hammer, do you have a torch ? maybe some heat would help loosen it up. Try some good penetrating oil first. last but not least bust out the hammer and go easy. If you can post a pic that would be great!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I wouldn't hammer on the spacer. It takes a lot of effort to hammer out the double stacked bearings. Post up some pictures when/if you can please.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not much to see as the double bearings are intact and the single has lost everything but the outer race.
the spacer is trapped behind the race by the flange on the spacer. it prevents my getting a drift in and punching out the races on either side.
does the spcacer nomally clear the outer race? the spacer also keeps a blind bearing puller from getting in behind the bearing.
how does one go about removing the bearings if they are intact?

mike

I wouldn't hammer on the spacer. It takes a lot of effort to hammer out the double stacked bearings. Post up some pictures when/if you can please.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
not much to see as the double bearings are intact and the single has lost everything but the outer race.
the spacer is trapped behind the race by the flange on the spacer. it prevents my getting a drift in and punching out the races on either side.
does the spcacer nomally clear the outer race? the spacer also keeps a blind bearing puller from getting in behind the bearing.
how does one go about removing the bearings if they are intact?

mike
I gotcha. Can you use a blind bearing puller and remove the stacked bearings one at a time? The outer edges of the bearings are slightly tapered so a blind puller will go between the two stacked bearings. Then the spacer will fall out and you can use a drift to drive out the problem bearing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would take it to a good auto machine shop. In the old days when I worked on cars for a living we would use a slide hammer with ajustable jaws that would grab the outter race in the groove where the bearing would have been, they probably have something better by now. If you have a welder, weld a piece of flat bar across the bearing race and drive it out with a long drift from the other side.
Good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it done.I put the double bearing set on the bottom, tire on sawhorses and put the axle bolt in from the top to align the spacer tube and used a brass drift on the top of the axle bolt and hammered with a BFH 5lb. they came out while turning the drift into a pretzel.
no damage to the bolt or spacer.
thanks all
mike

BTW signs of water in the axle assembly these bearings are not waterproof.

I would take it to a good auto machine shop. In the old days when I worked on cars for a living we would use a slide hammer with ajustable jaws that would grab the outter race in the groove where the bearing would have been, they probably have something better by now. If you have a welder, weld a piece of flat bar across the bearing race and drive it out with a long drift from the other side.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
BTW signs of water in the axle assembly these bearings are not waterproof.
Glad you mentioned that. Even the new All Balls bearings I put in a few years back get water in them. Its important to check them periodically.

Good job on getting the bearings out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts