TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question as to which side the nut should be on, brake side or sprocket side.

Many different pics online show it on either side. Some have a crown nut and cotter pin and some are with a nylon locking nut (what I have)

I am in the process of rebuilding and do not have any clear closeup pics of rear wheel and which side it was on when removed.

To me it would make sense to have nut on sprocket side. Only because if the axle happened to rotate, it would then be going in direction of wheel rotation and tighten on the nut rather than backing off.

Any info appreciated as to which side is the correct (safe) side.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I actually like the nut on the right side due to the fact that’s it’s easier to torque when the bike is on the kick stand. Mine have Castle Nuts and I put Cotter pins in them.

Edit; now you got me thinking... maybe my Castle nut is only on the front ???

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I've never seen any pic with the nut on the sprocket side. Every TW I've ever seen has the nut on the brake side. Neither have I ever seen a Nylock or a Castle nut on a TW.....68 ft/lbs. of torque would make it extremely unlikely to have an axle nut come loose.....well, unless you road thousands of miles of washboard. :eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Taking a very quick look at the online parts schematics on boats.net it shows the nut on the sprocket side through 1997. Then it switches sides in 1998 and stays on the right side. The nut was listed as a castle nut until 2000, then changed to self-locking in 2001. I didn’t see any footnotes saying anything catastrophic would happen if you failed to follow the proper installation as denoted by year. Be a rebel, put it where you like it. Lol!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I find the nut is usually sitting on the seat holding on to the handle bars, but YMMV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts