TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I'm having trouble removing the rear wheel axle. (91 TW200) It will rotate but not slide out. I soaked it several times with pb blaster, heated it up and pounding on the end with a 2 lb hammer and it still won't budge. I'm thinking the axle is rusted solid on to the right hand wheel. I may have to bring it to a shop to put a cutting torch to it. Anyone have any ideas? Scott.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Do you have the tire in the air? Can you move the tire at all? That may tell you where it is stuck.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You know what they say....if all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
Hmmm, that's interesting. It turns but won't come out. If the axle turns it can't be stuck to the brake backing plate because that is held in place by the swingarm. Other than that it's just through each of the two bearings, then the spacers on each side. Do the spacers turn with the axle? If so, I bet the axle is bound in one or both of them. Soak them with PB, try holding them in place with vice grips and twist the axle to break loose. In a recent thread on penetrants the point was made that sometimes it just takes a little time for the penetrant to do it's job. PB is good stuff, but some say ATF and acetone works real well, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the right hand spacer is stuck to the axle as it turns with it. Ive tried using visegrips on it while turning the axle but can't get a good enough grip on it. I've pounded the axle to the point the threaded end is mushroomed. Thankfully i picked up another axle for cheap money on ebay just in case. I have an appt to bring the beast down to a garage down the road to see what he can do. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Good luck. Let us know what they have to do to get it out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
this thread is a good reminder to... even if you dont need a new tire, to pull your axles once a year, clean em up and re-grease the buggers to prevent this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mechanic had to cut through the axle on the right side to remove it. The inner axle spacer "is one" with the axle right now. Inspection of the brake hub shows one of the brake shoe springs broke off and one shoe had a big chunk missing on the end. I see a whole hub assy with decent shoes on ebay right now for $30 shipped so I may go that route. I'm still at the evaluation stage on this bike to see what I'd have into it to get it safely ridable. So far it needs brake pads, swing arm bushings, fork seals and wheel bearings. Oh, and I still trying to find a econmical tank replacement. Thanks for the help. Scott BTW, the mechanic told me a customer saw him working on the bike and told him he'd buy it for $350 on the spot. Got me thinking how much I may have to spend and what I'd get out of it in the end.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/STingermen/F3F835A2-5C79-41B4-B33B-346417715141-618-000001045E0BCB42.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/STingermen/F68D866D-762F-443E-9607-0F8A2E613C29-618-00000104641A0EA4.jpg

Here she is in all her unwashed glory.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/STingermen/tw200_4.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
Looks like she was sitting out in the weather for a bit.

I'm guessing once you get her running good you'll enjoy that bike enough you won't want to sell it for five times that offer.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
That thing looks like it was poorly cared for. How hard would it have been for the owner to throw a tarp over it for the obvious years it sat out in the elements. Poor little fella.... makes me sad
If you enjoy making a bike your own and wrenching then looks like a fun project as long as you didn't pay more than $200 for it. If you don't enjoy this type of work then sell it and wait for a cleaner bike to come around for a decent price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mechanic spent an hr total on it for $50. Not sure about selling I've never ridden one and the looks are appealing to me. My current xl250 has more travel and seat height and not sure if id be downgrading or not. I don't think I'd be throwing money away on it as I do all the work myself. The motor is solid with compression being 135 cold. I do like the e start. My biggest concern is a replacement tank cost. The other parts will run around $160. Too bad I don't live down south. It looks like you can buy these all day long for 6-700 dollars in good condition.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Too bad I don't live down south. It looks like you can buy these all day long for 6-700 dollars in good condition.
I do live in the south(sc) and have yet to see one go for less than 1k around here. Though they have all been in decent condition.

·
Registered
566 Posts
... My current xl250 has more travel and seat height and not sure if id be downgrading or not...
If your goal is to make good time over rough terrain, you will likely miss that suspension. If you are out to enjoy the ride, you should be good. It's great on technical stuff too with the low gearing, low saddle height and fat tires. And it will pack a lot of weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm keeping the Xl250R, this is just an econo buddy bike ( bought for $200) for friends that come over and visit that want to hit the trails on something easy. I did buy an xt225 tank and air scoops for $40 today on ebay. I was trying to hit my kids up for donations to get this bike usable but they weren't interested in parting with any money. I'll guess I'll have to charge them per ride when they see how much fun it is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm sorry but people who treat motorcycles like that need slapped in the mouth.
It's called a "dirt bike"... not a "sit in the rain and snow bike"... ya jerks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts