TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tend to take the name Trail Way too literal and make my own trails. Bushes and sticks often unhook the wire connecting the rear brake lever to the brake light and it happens so often I thought I'd ask ...does anyone has any tips or mods to prevent this?

I considered pinching the connecting wire around the brake lever but thought that it may need to come loose to spare parts from snagging and breaking...

Would this be less likely to happen with a kick starter?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd slide heat shrink tubing, as long as possible over each connector, shrink it down and zip tie them up close to the frame in a couple spots.

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
Have you tried some cable/chain between the shifter/brake pedal to the skid plate to shear off some of the branches/junk before it gets tangled all up in the bike?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm guessing Tommy is aware I don't mean electrical wire but I'm not sure what else to call it. Single strand heavy gauge what ever you call it. Like a bend up piece of coat hanger. Tommy I'm not sure what you mean. Sounds like more snagging points.

Because the connector from the rear brake lever to the rear brake light is behind the kick starter I'm hoping my new kickstarter install will help protect it.

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
Oh that... I understand now. ;)

Maybe someone can post a pic of the cable or chain I'm talking about?? I think Fred has them. Basically they just help mow down grass and twigs that might want to get caught up in the bike somewhere...they might help.
I'm guessing Tommy is aware I don't mean electrical wire but I'm not sure what else to call it. Single strand heavy gauge what ever you call it. Like a bend up piece of coat hanger. Tommy I'm not sure what you mean. Sounds like more snagging points.

Because the connector from the rear brake lever to the rear brake light is behind the kick starter I'm hoping my new kickstarter install will help protect it.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Hi Trail Woman,

I have never experienced the problem that you described with brush disconnecting the brake switch rod, but I have had a kicker installed for most of my off-road riding. Yes, you are correct that a kicker should prevent the likelihood of this problem happening. You could also pinch the hook on the end of this rod a little to make it more securely attached to the brake pedal (which I think you were also suggesting). The picture below shows the "brake snake" chain that I installed to keep small trees from getting lodged in there.

Sorry for the poor quality pic, but that was the best I could do in the dark.

IMG_0205[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pic actually. That's what I thought but having bent my brake lever on a stump wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I guess if you can take it off or on then you could use it depending on your terrain.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I tend to take the name Trail Way too literal and make my own trails. Bushes and sticks often unhook the wire connecting the rear brake lever to the brake light and it happens so often I thought I'd ask ...does anyone has any tips or mods to prevent this?

I considered pinching the connecting wire around the brake lever but thought that it may need to come loose to spare parts from snagging and breaking...

Would this be less likely to happen with a kick starter?
Ahhhh, I misread that, I thought you were talking about the bullet connectors. Makes a whole lot more sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhh, I misread that, I thought you were talking about the bullet connectors. Makes a whole lot more sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Misreading aside, your advice was IMO good. Even though I understand how bullet connectors are supposed to work, crimp and all, I don't trust them and almost cut them off and soldered them. I didn't go that far but I did use heatshrink and zip ties on my after market wiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts