TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my front brakes and sandpapered the inside of my rear drum when I was at it. I cleaned it off really well with brake cleaner afterwards. It worked for a little while, but the squeak is back after a couple rides when I apply the rear brake firmly. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did not, but they looked fine. How do I know when it's time to change them?

Edit: I'm not even close to worn, judging by the gauge in the back.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Are the shoes glazed?
If so, break off the glaze with a strip of emery cloth.
Then apply brakes gently the first few stops.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I have the same problem. What I do is roll the bike backwards and slam on the rear brake. The squeaking is then either stopped of greatly reduced for the rest of the day. The next time I ride I have to do it all again. Don't ask me why it works.....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Probably breaks loose bits of sand or grit

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Mine seems to not like dampness. In the winter or if I have not ridden it during a long rainy period, it will almost lock up while squealing when I hit the brake. When it is like that, I just gently ride the brake for a few feet a couple times when I first start out to warm it up and dry the moisture. It only does it a couple times a year so I don't consider it much of a problem, but during that time, if I forget and am up to speed on the road and hit the brake for the first time, it really gets my attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts