TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed I am very much at the limit on the wear indicator for the rear drum brake so I ordered a new set of shoe brakes. Strangely, my current shoes look very much like the new ones and a mecanic told me it would be a waste of money to put the new ones in. I looked at the wear indicator and everything seems fine, there is only one position in which it can be installed so the indicator is not the problem. Anyone had a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
4,860 Posts
It would help considerably if we knew the year of the bike, and the mileage – both of which you can put into your signature line

This would save a lot of time in the future, and make any answers far more relevant (just a suggestion) ……

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed. Will look into adding to the signature.

It's a 2003 with with 23000 km or about 14000 miles. Got it at 14000 km and never changed the shoes. Don't know about the previous owner.

If I compare the old and new shoes, it seems I only went through ~15% of the brake material. Is this standard for brake shoes?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've never paid much attention to the wear indicators on brake drums. I've had similar experiences several times- the indicator was near or past the "minimum" line, I pull the shoes, and they look practically new. Or I'll put the new ones in anyway, and the indicator is still virtually at the "replace" line anyway. Rear drum brakes last a VERY long time on motorcycles- I've pulled them on cruisers with 50k plus miles and they still look virtually new.

While it's off clean up the drum and shoes with some brake cleaner, maybe scotch-brite the drum if it's dirty/caked with crud.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
And sand any glazing off the shoes' braking surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts