TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I installed a rear cycleracks rack last week. Very nice. Anyone know of a "backing plate" that can be used to squeeze the top of the rack to mount a Rotopax.

Or any other way to mount the Rotopax on top of the cycleracks?

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
Rotopax sells a mounting plate, flat or angled, pick your poison.

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Stock Rotopax 90 degree mount hangs off the back nicely. Good for street and mild trail work but in serious off roading the cantilevered weight out back can damage Cyclerack as well as bend 90 degrees into something like 100 degrees. I removed mine shortly after this photo. Swingarm city.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
Go with the flat mount. My old TW had the setup with it vertical off the back. As mentioned, for street riding it's serviceable, but bouncing around off road (with the tank full) both bent the rotopax bracket over time, and eventually snapped one of the welds on the Cyclerack mounts. I ended up selling off the rotopax and getting the Clarke tank instead.

The cyclerack really does not stand up to much weight on there off road. I had a cooler with a 6 pack and some ice on there, few whoops alongside a railroad track was all it took to break (another) weld. They're definitely not a heavy duty item.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I just found an old aluminum solid grill and had a shop cut it to size and bolted it to the top of the rack with three strips of the same grill about an inch wide underneath the tubes and some inner tube for abrasion resistance. Then I drilled two holes for the Rotopax mount, countersunk from the bottom side for the bolts. It stays in place more or less permanently and my tail bag either goes on top of the plate or on top of the Rotopax when mounted. I also found a piece of very hard rubber to place between the bottom of the CycleRack tubing and the rear fender for more support. In 8 years I have not broken any welds on the rack.....but then I don't ride like Fred! :p

·
Registered
606 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts