TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanting to do this project for about a year and finally got a 2003 TTR 225 rear brake lever. The stock TW lever is 4 1/2"long and 3 1/8" from center of the brake mounting stud or what is called the break camshaft to the center of the break rod. The TTR 225 is 5 3/4" long and 4 1/2" break camshaft to the center of the break rod. All that to say with this change I have 1 3/8" more leverage applied to the breaks than before. With the Terra Cross 26-9-14 and me 255# and what I carry I had to really apply foot pressure to slow and stop all that weight. Now with the new TTR break lever the amount of foot pressure is minimal. FEEL LIKE A DISK BREAK TO ME! There is some work to this. The TTR lever is a little thicker at the break camshaft and some filing of the splines to mount the lever position further to the rear of the bike due to curved TTR lever. Very happy with this.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/ronnydog/P7260077.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
quote name='ronnydog' date='30 July 2010 - 08:16 AM' timestamp='1280506607' post='683']

I have wanting to do this project for about a year and finally got a 2003 TTR 225 rear brake lever. The stock TW lever is 4 1/2"long and 3 1/8" from center of the brake mounting stud or what is called the break camshaft to the center of the break rod. The TTR 225 is 5 3/4" long and 4 1/2" break camshaft to the center of the break rod. All that to say with this change I have 1 3/8" more leverage applied to the breaks than before. With the Terra Cross 26-9-14 and me 255# and what I carry I had to really apply foot pressure to slow and stop all that weight. Now with the new TTR break lever the amount of foot pressure is minimal. FEEL LIKE A DISK BREAK TO ME! There is some work to this. The TTR lever is a little thicker at the break camshaft and some filing of the splines to mount the lever position further to the rear of the bike due to curved TTR lever. Very happy with this.

I could not get all the pics in there so one more.

Ronnydog

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/ronnydog/P7260077.jpg[/img][

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Ronnie,

Did the splines fit as-is in the normal configuration?

In other words, do you think it would be would it be a bolt-on with a normal length swingarm and brake rod?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ronnie,

Did the splines fit as-is in the normal configuration?

In other words, do you think it would be would it be a bolt-on with a normal length swingarm and brake rod?

The lever needs to be set back about 2 splines due to the curve in it. Yes it will fit with a normal swingarm and break rob. (Good to talk to U yesterday)

Ronnydog

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The lever needs to be set back about 2 splines due to the curve in it. Yes it will fit with a normal swingarm and break rob. (Good to talk to U yesterday)

Ronnydog

Always a pleasure, sir.

A (slightly) longer front lever might help for those with smallish hands or low hand strength as well on a drum front end as long as you didn't get stupid. I'm already considering a cut-and-weld on the S.O.'s clutch arm, same idea might be applied to a brake arm.

I'm still running around with that bigarsed tire on an unmodified swingarm. Once it's extended I'll find myself a TTR lever.

Good thinking.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Great to know Ronnydog. Given the extra weight that has pretty much become a part of my bike now, your discovery should a real plus for me. Thanks!! Gerry

·
Registered
172 Posts
After installation did you test it under panic stop situations? Any chance of the splines stripping or the arm bending? I agree my back brake is anemic at best, and so I'm very interested in this mod as long as it doesn't give me a false sense of security at an inopportune time.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After installation did you test it under panic stop situations? Any chance of the splines stripping or the arm bending? I agree my back brake is anemic at best, and so I'm very interested in this mod as long as it doesn't give me a false sense of security at an inopportune time.

The brake lever is working fine! I went on a three day ride with all kinds of trails, street and brush bustin and no problem with the lever. There is another lever that my work a 1993 Yamaha XT-225 Sorrow Rear Brake is straight and not curved. It may line-up with the TW splines? The clutch lever was another one I was looking at doing also.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is super interesting to me, but not because of the additional braking powder...

I put a taller shock into my TW which meant that the rear brake rod was rubbing on the passenger peg. I imagine that if I put this taller TTR lever on, the new angle for the brake rod might allow enough clearance to get my passenger pegs back on again.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts