Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Any trailer shop...

·
Registered
423 Posts
What does her bike look like? Is it hollow? I've thought about cutting down some automotive mud flaps to put in the space between the swingarm and seat

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry was hoping for a brand and model - like Honda XR 450 ( or sonthign )

because we dont have trailer shops here..

much easier if I can find something than try and explain - hard to get help here for this type of thing in HK

·
Registered
793 Posts
sorry was hoping for a brand and model - like Honda XR 450 ( or sonthign )

because we dont have trailer shops here..

much easier if I can find something than try and explain - hard to get help here for this type of thing in HK
Its just a rear fender you get for harley ect... Just measure the distance between the frame and that is how wide you want it. Then order one and when it comes in mock it up and cut it down with a saw and paint it. That is it. Its not a brand at all.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
As RisingSun said, they're generic. Try searching for " 5 inch flat fender". They're used on trailers and sold by width and radius. The ones sold for Harleys and choppers are the same generic fenders, just more munny.

You shouldn't need to look very far. 98% of them come from China.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great! starting to get some ideas..

her bike has a rusty rear - o plannign to get some tubes welded ( they have a hole in! ) under the seat..

she has mentioned her bike looks a bit scruffy a few times - and she uses it every day..

but she's a away for 2 weeks in march - so I will get a few things done - frame fixed and painted

here's some pictures of the bike..

I'm thinking about the "open" look - ( only concern is are those airfilter ok in the wet? or is there something she can add.

the holes in the fram are above these rusty joints

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Just for reference, these are typically $20-$30 USD in most trailer stores in the U.S.

Trailer vendors will list the actual radius and will offer several. Here's one from a chopper outfit which doesn't list the actual radius but at least they aren't out to skin you alive:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2112

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Lizrd! those prices are a little more like it.. actually I'm gonna see if I can find them in china as well. - looks like those truck ones will do 2 bikes!

webike link are nice but are close to costing 25% of what we paid for the bike! ( 268 us$ for tw specific! )

we paid 900 US$ to buy the tw probably 18 months ago

( ps great bike! fun to ride - an low maintenance - only one electrical problem - sidestand cut out malfunctioned! )

any one on the airfilter question?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
An oiled foam filter will pass more water than the engine can drink if subjected to a direct solid water splash. Normal rain will do no harm. A paper element will soften from a drenching and fall apart. A simple tin can about 2cm more diameter than the filter with a slot cut in the bottom will provide adequate protection from splashing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi qwerty ! thanks

- thats a pretty good tip on the air filter - the TW looks really good when its opened up like that..

- I was wondering about if u could get something to protect the paper element -

she doesnt ride to work if it is raining - but she will ride home if its raining -

hate to have her get any problems - I worry enough as it is!

I did read some incidents of palfunction after welding - so I should remove ( or is disconnect enough? ) some components for the welding session?

im guessing the rectifier? anything else that wont like being near an electro welder?

cheers

mart

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah that looks good....

I've a garage space starting from next week ( i did a barter deal with someone ) and will be trying to make some progress..

Peruano offered me a rear fender - but I want to make sure 100% that all TW200 rear fenders are interchangeable.. ( I called the dealer for a new one - and he said that there is a diff between the model with drum brake and model with a disk brake?

perhaps I have to customize anyway - becos of the box supports? hmm.

but for sure the rear lamp and license plate holder arent original either...

I'm thinking to try a metal plate across the brace ( one on each side - and the side with tool box shown above )

I think I can simply shift the wiring to run under the seat or on the inside of the frame - and it will look way better already?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did read some incidents of palfunction after welding - so I should remove ( or is disconnect enough? ) some components for the welding session?

im guessing the rectifier? anything else that wont like being near an electro welder?

cheers

mart

Oh wow, thanks for the reminder on that...I actually might be doing some welding on my little beater TTR125 soon so would be interested to see what people say to protect/disconnect.

I'll also vote for leaving that bike looking semi-hollow...perhaps find either some plastic or rubber sheeting at the hardware store and provide a little splash protection? I've been known to take some rubber sheeting (like truck bed floormat material), cut to fit, drill or "poke" holes along the edges, and zip-tie it to whatever you're wanting to protect. If there's anywhere that it would need to articulate, keep that in mind when tying it down (leave some slack, or just don't tie it off at that point). Just a thought!

Have fun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts