TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting the Saddleman HC1700 rear hard trunk for the TW. Does anyone have this trunk? If so can you mount it to the factory rubber pad rack? Trying to avoid spending the money on a metal rack if I can mount something directly. Any other suggestions for a rear bag/trunk. thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Remember the stock rubber pad is rated for 7 lbs. Almost all of us with cargo boxes or cases have them mounted to a cyclerack or similar aftermarket rack.

The exception would be......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why is it rated for only 7 lbs? I have an emgo box and a kolpin 1.5 gallon gas can mounted to that. It seems fine to me.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Why is it rated for only 7 lbs?

Lawyers.

The rear frame section isn't overbuilt, but if you look at pics on here, many folks have zero problems far exceeding the 7 pound load limit. If I'm not mistaken, the stock Yammi rack is rated for 15 lbs.

Also, if you superimpose a triangle over a picture of the side of a motorcycle, with the points being the two axles and your belt buckle, you would want the bulk of the weight inside the triangle. The farther you put weight outside of that area the more leveage it has on the bike.

This leverage is mitigated somewhat by a rack simalar to the cyclerack, as it's attachment points are forward of the rear section, however, the weight is still outside of the triangle.

Doesn't mean you can't do it. Just that you shouldn't if you don't have to.

Bag

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I would stand in support of Bagger's statement. Likely, the highest order of concern is held by folks in NASA and places like United Airlines. Seems some manufactures like Chevrolet, Toyota and Goodyear (among some others) have slipped a bit.

We are all responsible for our personal well being. As a younger man, this meant less than it does now. Lawyers only knock on your door after the fact. A hundred thousand++ would be great to have, but I would rather my body and faculties remain as they were.

When you turn a wrench, stack a load or climb a wall, the "hurt" is yours. No dollar amount will make it better than it was............ Just a thought I had, Gerry

·
Registered
264 Posts
I never thought of it as a stability issue, as in throws off balance. I thought it was a structural issue, as in the rear won't support more than 7 lbs. Shows how smart I am.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Remember the stock rubber pad is rated for 7 lbs. Almost all of us with cargo boxes or cases have them mounted to a cyclerack or similar aftermarket rack.

The exception would be......

That's Tdub. Note that everything outside the box is bungied to the subframe, not the box. At this point, the yellow bags are a sleeping bag and pillow, the box contains a few emergency supplies, 2 empty gallon Coleman Fuel cans, and empty gallon water jug, and a change of clothes. Not really much weight at all. Tools and parts are in the stock tool location and tank bag--keeps the weight centered. Everything on the back of the bike is left at the campsite, but the fuel and water jugs are then filled. Pack with thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts