TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this eBay listing with an interesting product image.

RackAttack.PNG

This is what the listing says about the image:

"In one of the pictures, you'll see that one of our customers was rear ended by a van. The strength of our rack prevented the subframe of the bike from collapsing and believe it or not, this rack was unbolted and subsequently bolted right back on his new bike!"

Is this a well known theory that a rear rack offers some form of protection to the rider?

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I am sure that that picture has resulted in a lot of rear rack sales for CycleRacks.

I have owned 5 or 6 CycleRacks but would never consider them as a safety feature. On the contrary, I feel that the protruding, downsloping side rails pose some added risk to the lower leg during a tipover, and can recall one incident where I am sure that my leg would have been broken had I not been wearing very tall and stiff motocross boots.

That being said, I still feel that a CycleRack offers the best value out there for securing and carrying a heavy load on a TW.

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
No.
That is what we call that "marketing" which in generally is often unrelated to the truth.:D

While the subframe may not have "collapsed" in the seller's mind it has certainly buckled and bent up a good 60 degrees since it for sure has not penetrated the van's bumper cladding, the steel bumper itself, and is not imbedded deep in the van's transmission cooler.

The subframe, like the foam in your helmet, or the controlled crush zone built into your car's structure, is a sacrificial element designed to lengthen the time duration of impact thus reducing peak accelerations and subsequent damage to more valuable stuff like your brain. Or in the case of a TW limiting damage to the bike's frame proper.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Pretty sure I remember when this very incident happened to a member of ours. He was (rather obviously) rear-ended at a stop I think.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am sure that that picture has resulted in a lot of rear rack sales for CycleRacks.

I have owned 5 or 6 CycleRacks but would never consider them as a safety feature. On the contrary, I feel that the protruding, downsloping side rails pose some added risk to the lower leg during a tipover, and can recall one incident where I am sure that my leg would have been broken had I not been wearing very tall and stiff motocross boots.

That being said, I still feel that a CycleRack offers the best value out there for securing and carrying a heavy load on a TW.
i second that Brian. the one and only tip over i've had on the TW and the rack did infact pin my leg to the ground and it wasn't easy getting the bike off of my leg. and saying that, i would buy another Cyclerack

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I think Cycleracks does use that picture in their on-line advertisement. Certainly an extreme example with the bike still standing up at attention.

I can tell you from several falls mostly off road that the rack does protect the bike and it's panels to a point because it sticks out so much. I don't consider it the Volvo of racks because of this.
My wife fell over 2 Summers ago on pavement. Not going very fast but yeah... the rear rack as well as the front rack and Tusk D-Flex hand guards did save her from more injury than she had (6 stitches). The bike was fine, racks scratched up a bit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can say for sure that the front manracks along with barkbusters protects the front turn signals and headlight shroud...

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
...and the rear footpegs often help hold a tipped over bike from going even closer to horizontal. This makes picking the bike upright a bit easier.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wouldn't own a cyclerack after hearing of the guillotine effect. My rear rack design repositions the support bar further back lessening the chance for lower leg loss. Very strong triangle design. Has withstood several "Fred's easy rides". Can't get a better testimony then that. It needs a proper name. I think I'll call it the "Heman Rack Support". Ha Dirts a Flyen SanDue:rolleyes::D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Cycleracks does use that pic in their TW listings I’ve always thought it’s a strategic mistake at best and risk for law suit at the worst regardless it’s like advertising an airplane showing a crash sight like the 737 in the Hudson just not too bright of thinking IMO and I bet I know just who at cycleracks thought it was a good idea

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I'll have to disagree with some of this. I've owned a number of Cycle Racks and buy them for just two reasons, carrying a load and protecting the bike if/when ever I do take a trail side fall. I am not going for the "Pinning your leg" deal simply because who knows what might have happened if your leg was there without the rack. My theory and my plan when the bike does start going over is to get the hell off and away from it. Getting rear ended on a MC is never a good outcome with or without a rack. Lets just face a few facts regarding rear racks for the TW. That useless rubber pad on top of the rear fender is supported only by the bolted on sub frame and is rated to hold about 12 pounds. That is the equivalent of a gallon of milk or gas and a six pack. With a CR you can easily carry a couple cases of beer or a lot more gear. It gives the sub frame a lot less stress and in a fall it can and will protect plastics and blinkers to some degree. For those who don't need greater carrying capacity then skip the racks all together. Try if you can to never get rear ended and always try real hard to keep the rubber side down. CRs are big and wide and they do make tossing a leg over the bike a bit harder but so do most of the racks on the market and even those homemade ones do too. I seriously doubt any rack offers much in the line of leg safety in a crash. On the other hand I have seen a number of smaller type racks for the TW but again, most of them don't address the inherant weakness of the rear sub frame. My opinion is if you feel you do need a rack then pick the one that suits your own personal needs. Cycle racks are a good choice and so too are the Man Racks and Tin Man Tim's. There are also some others I have never personally seen on a TW that might also be great options. I am in the process of restoring a nice BW350 right now and have a Cycle Rack on the way as I type this. I might also be restoring another BW 200 in the coming weeks or months and will likely order a new CR for it. Never once have I even considered them as protection in a rear end crash so the advertisement is just that, Advertisement and Marketing when in fact the rack is intended to carry more gear and weight if you need to. BTW, Cycle Racks are warrantied against breaking and if they do ever break they will replace it for the cost of shipping. I have seen what seems to be about a million TV commercials for "My Pillow" that make all sorts of fancy claims insisting we all need one. I got a pair of them as a gift a while back, never would have bought them myself, but they do none of what they are claimed to do and are in fact on the bed in the spare room because I hated it.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I am not going for the "Pinning your leg" deal simply because who knows what might have happened if your leg was there without the rack.GaryL

I've completed extensive testing of falling on (or off/under if you will) the TW and believe I have the most comprehensive results.

I've been pinned many times under my TW with the CycleRack.

I've been pinned many times under my TW without the CycleRack.

My conclusion? I get pinned under the TW no matter what.:p

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I guess it goes back to the original posters question, is it better because it's safer?
It's a great rack for luggage that in my experience definitely saved some of my body panels from getting trashed and maybe (maybe???) helped a bit when my wife crashed.
Closest thing to an engine guard I guess.

I've been pinned (not helplessly) on the TW with the rack and also on my XR without one.
It's just a rack and definitely not a safety device and I do have to agree that it is poor judgement by Cyclarack to even imply that. If it gives you a leg-up on serving another positive purpose then great.

I never heard of the guillotine effect till now. If in anyway I thought the rack was going to hurt me I'd take it off altogether, not modify it.
Your modification now implies that you suspected a design defect but instead of taking it off and asking for a refund you have inadvertently released the manufacture of any future liability.
You "own" the design now, it is not set-up the way the manufacture sold it.

Reactions: Allanb and admiral

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
Bikerjosh could tell you about the guillotine effect on his leg if only he was still around.
However I believe the resulting fractured ankle ended his riding days and thus his valuable contributions here.
Too bad...I had always hoped to have him guide us on another one of his tours through Death Valley.
Fortunately my trappings have not been on asphalt; just on mud, dirt and snow where the CycleRack could push leg into somewhat yielding earth.

P.S.- I miss Josh and sure wish him the very best.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I remember that day well. I had sent him a note saying I was praying for them to have a safe ride, he replied back with the comment saying more or less that he didn't need prayer, he had skills... I wish him the best too and often think of him.
Bikerjosh could tell you about the guillotine effect on his leg if only he was still around.
However I believe the resulting fractured ankle ended his riding days and thus his valuable contributions here.
Too bad...I had always hoped to have him guide us on another one of his tours through Death Valley.
Fortunately my trappings have not been on asphalt; just on mud, dirt and snow where the CycleRack could push leg into somewhat yielding earth.

P.S.- I miss Josh and sure wish him the very best.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well, here is my two cents. Two Falls ago, riding in NE Nevada, I dumped the bike crossing an apparently smooth wet meadow in first gear at 5 mph when my rear wheel suddenly washed out to the right into an unseen hole hidden by the tall grass. I never did figure out if the resulting severe bruise to my left calf was caused by it getting trapped on the edge of the hole by the CycleRack or some other part of the bike. What I did figure out is that if I had not been able to get my right foot on the opposite side of the CycleRack and push the bike up enough to get my left leg out I might still be there! And I don't fall much. :p

I not only consider the CycleRack a great platform to carry a LOT of stuff, but a safety feature under certain situations, mostly unpredictable.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Rack or no rack during a fall you can still get hurt or snagged under the bike. I guess if your leg or foot got caught under the rack you blame it on the rack but who knows what might have happened if the rack was not there? I suspect with either a Tin Man rack or a Man Rack the same could apply. The point is don't fall or get the hell away from the entire bike when it is going down if at all possible. One thing for sure you never want to happen is getting your leg caught under the exhaust pipe or hot muffler. If you don't have a need for a large rack then absolutely don't install one.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts