TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the manracks and cycleracks rear racks for my newly bought 2015 tw. I want to be sure that neither of them will interfere with having a passenger on back. I just want to ride my two kids around in the woods but I just don’t want the bars to get into there butt or interfere with their legs.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the cyclerack but have been reading about them breaking welds. Is that really that big of an issue if you don’t overload it? I wouldn’t think it would be.

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
That’s the main problem with Cycleracks – properly loaded they’re fine, “inappropriately loaded” and somethings going to break. Unfortunately, the size of the things encourage “user error”

Manracks on the other hand, are generally small, for the simple reason that you can’t overload them and break anything – two very different racks, with different appeals

I have a Manrack on my 200, and it is a very neat and tidy fit – as opposed to the Cyclerack that you could hang your washing out to dry on

But neither would impede a pillion rider, although you might have to shuffle your nuts up forward a bit to accommodate a “well upholstered” pillion ……

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you'd really have to go out of your way to damage a Cycleracks and break a weld. They do have a lifetime replacement warranty though.

"All our products are 100% made in the USA. If the rack is ever broken for any reason, we will replace it for free, you just pay the shipping."

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
TW seat isn't very long. Any passenger is likely to be partially sitting on either rack.

i have found the TW seat to be a little longer than most comparable bikes that i have been experamenting with over the last 3 years. my wife feels more comfortable with the cycle rack than without it and she does not sit on any part of it. the cycle rack and the sub frame both need some reininforcement if you plan on using it for hauling weight, they don't need much. i found added supports to the signal lights makes a world of differance, takes all the bounce out of the rack which causes damage to the rack mount under the seat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have both, one (the cyclerack) on the TW and a Manrack on my XR. Both are excellent builds. Neither will interfere with you passenger. Both will break welds if you don't use common sense loading them. They are not Jessie Racks or other exotic specialty type of racks or rack systems you'll find on a BMW or KTM true Adventure Bike. Those that do use them past their limit have come up with some pretty good ideas of strengthening them where they seem to break.
Remember the TW's tail itself has a load limit as well, much less than what either of these racks can hold. I think it's right on a label on the tail or at least in the owners manual. The racks better distribute that weight and can surpass it. However everything has a breaking point vs. constant natural vibration of the bike itself running on the road or trails.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Probably has a lot to do with height and riding position too. I'm 5'-10" a d tend to ride in more of a chair (Harley) position rather than up on the tank. I've ridden 2 up a couple times with my wife and it was...cozy.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
one more thing about the cycle rack, it has to go on the bike stress free. by that i mean all the bolts have to screw in without any problems. if you force a bolt, then the rack will sit on the bike crooked and put stress on the mounts. i have seen so many pictures of TW's with the rack not sitting level. mine all ended up siting straight and i have not had any problems. there is a problem with the way they are made however, and that is the right leg is too long. on my first rack, it was close enough to fitting that i could adjust it enough using a pipe bender. with my last rack for my 2020 TW i had to cut the mounting point off and reweld it. the leg was way to long to even think about faking it. after that it fit great. while i was at the welding, i added attachment points for my top box, tool tubes and signals. i personlly would not use any other rack than the cycle rack on my TW, even with all the mods i have to do to them, in the end i get a very strong usable rack

Attachments

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Probably has a lot to do with height and riding position too. I'm 5'-10" a d tend to ride in more of a chair (Harley) position rather than up on the tank. I've ridden 2 up a couple times with my wife and it was...cozy.

i'm also 5' 10 and 200 lbs and the wife and i have put on lots of miles riding 2 up exploring in Utah. the last big ride for us, out to Chicken Corners was a killer for me ( getting too old for that 2 up crap ) she was fine, rack worked good. this picture, we are just finishing the Long Canyon, Pucker Pass, Shafer Switchback loop, good ride

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you'd really have to go out of your way to damage a Cycleracks and break a weld. They do have a lifetime replacement warranty though.

"All our products are 100% made in the USA. If the rack is ever broken for any reason, we will replace it for free, you just pay the shipping." View attachment 202954
Yeah, I don’t think it’s the rack welds that break but more of the bikes welds.

The largest person I will ever have on back is about 130lbs and I am 5’10- 190lbs so it’s not too much. And a rider that size will be once a year.... maybe!

Honestly I will hardly ever have anything more than a few groceries or a little fuel on back of the rack. I like the looks of them more than anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I like the man rack winged version as well. I had the man rack on my big ruckus and was happy with it.
Not real sure which route I will go!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you can pst a picture of your Big Ruckus with the Maniac. I didn't know they made them for that scooter.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ahh, cool. Thank-You.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After tormenting myself for months researching racks on the forum and all over the internet, I got the Cycleracks. It's more than sturdy enough for anything reasonable, and to agree with Av8er - it's the bike's welds that will break under the seat. But that flimsy little bracket is a really easy fix with 2 very quick welds. My Cycleracks bolted up perfectly straight out of the box, although it's a little bent now from having too much off road fun. My wife loves to cruise around town on the back of my bike and she loves the Cycleracks - no interference and a great spot to hold on. I'm 5'11"/175lbs and she's 5'4"/130lbs for reference. I wouldn't go on a multi day trip with her on the back, but for going out to get some dinner or just cruise around town for the afternoon, it's totally fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After tormenting myself for months researching racks on the forum and all over the internet, I got the Cycleracks. It's more than sturdy enough for anything reasonable, and to agree with Av8er - it's the bike's welds that will break under the seat. But that flimsy little bracket is a really easy fix with 2 very quick welds. My Cycleracks bolted up perfectly straight out of the box, although it's a little bent now from having too much off road fun. My wife loves to cruise around town on the back of my bike and she loves the Cycleracks - no interference and a great spot to hold on. I'm 5'11"/175lbs and she's 5'4"/130lbs for reference. I wouldn't go on a multi day trip with her on the back, but for going out to get some dinner or just cruise around town for the afternoon, it's totally fine.
That’s the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts