TW200 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
I've broken and re-welded my cyclerack many a time. Trashed the subframe too. But I attribute damage to big "G" loads off-road coupled with too much weight cantilevered too far astern like a full RotoPac of gas. . Keeping all fasteners tight helps extend the life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check out Precision motocycle racks. I have bought one for my grandaughter's XT 250 and am pretty impressed with it. It really depends on what you want the rack for. If you are going to tour on it and am thinking of using the more popular U shaped saddlebags such as Mosko Reckless 80's, Giant loop or Wolfman, then the Cyclerack is not going to work very well as it is too wide. Precision also makes a nice set of side racks that would keep your bags off the exhaust and protect your side plastics.
I have both panniers and the Reckless and the Reckless is my favorite by far for off road use.
Mikey

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
After tormenting myself for months researching racks on the forum and all over the internet, I got the Cycleracks. It's more than sturdy enough for anything reasonable, and to agree with Av8er - it's the bike's welds that will break under the seat. But that flimsy little bracket is a really easy fix with 2 very quick welds. My Cycleracks bolted up perfectly straight out of the box, although it's a little bent now from having too much off road fun. My wife loves to cruise around town on the back of my bike and she loves the Cycleracks - no interference and a great spot to hold on. I'm 5'11"/175lbs and she's 5'4"/130lbs for reference. I wouldn't go on a multi day trip with her on the back, but for going out to get some dinner or just cruise around town for the afternoon, it's totally fine.
I have broken my Cyclerack twice at/near where the weld is shown in the picture below. The second time it broke it broke below the repair weld so the weld wasn't the issue. I know the guys who make the Cyclerack would have replaced it for free but I figgered just having it welded back was just fine.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
FYI: it and the pretty useless front rack are excellent protection for yourself and the bike too. Other than that nasty rear-end crash picture it has a secondary protection purpose. Ask my wife who took a slow-speed header crashing into a curb. Her hands/wrists and the bike were unscathed. Lucky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The main reason I am wanting one is for the passengers. I will very very seldom have anything on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Check out Precision motocycle racks. I have bought one for my grandaughter's XT 250 and am pretty impressed with it. It really depends on what you want the rack for. If you are going to tour on it and am thinking of using the more popular U shaped saddlebags such as Mosko Reckless 80's, Giant loop or Wolfman, then the Cyclerack is not going to work very well as it is too wide. Precision also makes a nice set of side racks that would keep your bags off the exhaust and protect your side plastics.
I have both panniers and the Reckless and the Reckless is my favorite by far for off road use.
Mikey
Precision doesn’t make one for the tdub

·
Registered
133 Posts
I rode two up with my cycleracks quite a bit. The passenger was able to still sit on the seat, though I had to shift forward a couple of inches.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts