TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the position Im in.

Im considering buying a new TW200 as my very first motorcycle. The price point meets my budget (max I can spend)
Ive read thru tons of posts about maintenance, and have watched just about every video on youtube.

Ive been riding mountain bikes my whole life, and have owned 3 cars, all manual transmissions. So I think I should be able to learn to ride it fairly quickly.

Atm, Im unemployed, and my plan is to use the TW200 as a way to make money, delivering food/drinks thru Grubhub/Postmates. So, I will be riding it on the street/city mostly, and when I do take it off road I wont be using the rack to hold anything.

Seems like theres a lot of options for rear racks but not all of them are created equal

Manracks
Cycleracks
Precision
Tusk

Im real worried about the weight, a delivery bag weighs about 10 pounds empty, with food and drinks maybe another 10 pounds or more. The delivery box is also quite large in diameter, enough to fit large pizzas

I keep seeing stuff about weld issues on racks, or the sub frame caused by loads that are too heavy, but im still a little unsure of what exactly is too heavy. (Also I don't want to wear the box as a backpack for safety reasons)
Any suggestions? Is what im trying to do possible? It seems like if a bicycle or 50cc scooter can hold the same amount of weight, surely a TW200 should be able to do the same. What rack would be best, what are my options, because I really like the TW200..... not just as a motorcycle for deliveries but a good first motorcycle to learn to ride/wrench on.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I think a Cycleracks rack would be very well suited to your needs. Some of the others are strong enough, but they are smaller, and you'd need to add a larger base to support your delivery box.

Those who have experienced cracking at the welds have generally been carrying fairly heavy loads over rough, bouncy terrain for extended periods of time.

I don't think your intended use would apply significant stress to any of the racks that mount to the main frame of the motorcycle.

Don't use a sub-frame mounted rack though. The sub-frame isn't adequate to carry 20 lbs, especially with the twisting that might accompany such a bulky load.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If that its the size of the food delivery container then any f the racks will work. Some you might have to add a bit more platform to accommodate with the exception of the Cyclerack which is probably already the same if not bigger sized than the bicycle framed looking one in your picture.
Common sense should be your guide on how much you can carry as even the tailpiece of the TW (or any motorcycle for that matter) has a limit. But again if it's just that container filled with food and not lead weights you should be fine.
You also might want to consider just buying a used auto for the delivery person portion of your life with no weight worries and buy a used TW for fun. Together the same as brand-new for which you are "paying-up".

Not sure where you are located but in my state using your motorcycle for commercial purposes voids insurance coverage in the case of an accident or theft unless you let your agent know what you are using it for in advance (+$). Something else to consider if you are buying "new" and certainly would want full coverage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked into buying used, but not sure if its just the time of year or the used market in my area (Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, North Carolina) but theres nothing out there.

Ive also owned two 50cc scooters in the past, and refuse to ride another one. Was rear ended once, ran off the road once and had a head on collision with a guy pulling out of a gas station heading across traffic in the opposite direction (fractured femur and couldn't walk for months). 50cc scooters aren't visible enough and cant keep up with traffic.... which make them more dangerous then just about any type of motorbike imo.

As far as getting a used car, A motorcycle would be better for gas mileage and lane filtering, would be ideal for delivery (besides cargo issues) I know this area like the back of my hand, actually used to deliver pizza here years ago before smart phones/GPS, when all I had is big map on the wall, and had to plan 4-5 routes in my head with maybe a couple notes on a notepad.

Ive wanted a real motorcycle for SOOOOO long.... just seems like a perfect combination. Make $100+ a day, and get to ride around on a motorcycle while doing it. A car would probably be more practical in some ways.... but I don't think I cant afford both, im poor and this is going to take all my savings for the last 2-3 years, Id rather try to make it work on a motorcycle if I can..... or else who knows how long it will be until Ill be able to afford one again.

I figured getting something new would be better because I have little experience working on motorcycles, and don't want to deal with alot of big issues from the start. On my old scooters I learned some basic stuff like oil/filter changes and cleaning/adjusting the carb, but that's about it. I want to learn, but don't want to get overwhelmed early with mechanical issues.

Besides the rear rack, I think Id probably replace the rear sprocket and chain as soon as I got the bike, then upgrade to LED lights, add some auxiliary lights for extra safety/visibility, Im expecting to put a lot of road miles on it.

I hadn't thought about the insurance cost for using the bike for commercial use though, was planning on getting comprehensive for the theft protection, full would be nice but not sure its in my price range.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
i have had 3 cycle racks and am happy with them. the cycle rack should be fine for you with that weight. the thing that hurts them is when they are loaded up and used off road. the back ends of the racks aren't supported and do a fair amount of bouncing which breaks the support under the seat. since you will only be loaded while on pavement, you should be fine. when the day comes that you want to ride, loaded off road, there are mods you can do to the rack that will strenghten the supports and take away the bounce. i have done them on all my racks and never had any problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think given your criteria a TW200 will be an excellent choice. I would keep an eye on facebook marketplace for a clean. low miles used bike as they are pretty dang simple and little goes wrong with them. I just bought a Tusk rack and I think it would work well for that food carrier. I would position the food box so about a 1/3 of it was resting on the seat. The Tusk racks just came back in stock on Rocky Mountain ATV for $119 w free shipping (no affiliataion, just a customer)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have the Cyclerack already but that Tusk one looks good. I don't recall that available when I got my TW in 2016? Looks just as wide as the CR including the dreaded "guillotine effect" if you've ever had the pleasure.

·
Registered
13,550 Posts
I have the Cyclerack already but that Tusk one looks good. I don't recall that available when I got my TW in 2016? Looks just as wide as the CR including the dreaded "guillotine effect" if you've ever had the pleasure.
I was trapped under the TW for about 5-10 minutes with my lower leg & foot pointed rearward while the rest of me forward. The top of my boot was pinned/caught by the downward rack support. It took some panicky digging to free myself. Luckily, my leg wasn't actually guillotined! Still, it was a traumatic experience getting my leg/foot trapped underneath the TW with the aid of the CycleRack. I do like'em for carrying stuff though.

Not much my riding partner could do. Not without opposable thumbs and all.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I was trapped under the TW for about 5-10 minutes with my lower leg & foot pointed rearward while the rest of me forward. The top of my boot was pinned/caught by the downward rack support. It took some panicky digging to free myself. Luckily, my leg wasn't actually guillotined! Still, it was a traumatic experience getting my leg/foot trapped underneath the TW with the aid of the CycleRack. I do like'em for carrying stuff though.
View attachment 203319

Not much my riding partner could do. Not without opposable thumbs and all.
View attachment 203320
happened to me once, only on a rock shelf, no digging out. i was lucky i was younger back then. with my screwed up back now, i could have quite a long dirt nap if it happens again

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Guess that was one of those "go get help Lassie" moments Admiral. How far would he have had to run?

·
Registered
13,550 Posts
Maybe 10 miles to the nearest ranch. Georgie was smart but I’m not sure the “lassie go get help” command would have been understood. Wish I could speak & understand dog. Not just the hints.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
HaHa, good one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Cyclerack already but that Tusk one looks good. I don't recall that available when I got my TW in 2016? Looks just as wide as the CR
stagewex - the Tusk Utility Top Rack only become available about a year ago, I believe. It's about 15" wide and 13.5" long, so it's a bit smaller compared to the Cycleracks. I felt it would be a good balance of size and load-carrying capability. It mounts up just like the Cycleracks. Something I should point out, however, is the rear mounting of the rack itself. The Cycleracks rear mount is welded to the rack and bolted to the bike. On the Tusk - this mount is bolted to both the frame and the rack. I did not know the Tusk was designed this way when I ordered it - but I'm glad. I see a lot posts about the CR weld breaking. I don't know if this design is less failure-prone in any way, but I should not have a weld to repair. I'll update the Tusk thread I started as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Yes, it looks like they took a cue from the CR weak point. But it's only weak when you ridiculously overload it and via vibrations... no big surprise... it breaks.
I'm guilty on short trips as well though have not had the pleasure of it breaking.
With the Tusk the weight at that specific point is transferred to the tail piece which has its own limitations. So basically, if you load this little bike thinking you own a big GSA and heading to Paraguay you're going to break something.

As far as design goes I kinda like the way the Tusk looks better than the CR. Nice and clean looking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts