TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

Does anyone know the rear rim spoke count on the TW200? I'm going to use a 2010 model as an example, but I'm assuming they all have the same size rear rim.

Is it 36 spoke or 32 spoke or different?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Good day,

Does anyone know the rear rim spoke count on the TW200? I'm going to use a 2010 model as an example, but I'm assuming they all have the same size rear rim.

Is it 36 spoke or 32 spoke or different?

Thanks,

32. What are you up to? lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
32. What are you up to? lol.

That is the answer I was looking for! 32 is what I need.

I'm working on a project that I need a wide 14" rim with a 32 spoke count. This is of course, very uncommon, but so is the TW200, so this will be perfect.

I'll post back with photos when i'm done.

Thanks for the quick reply,

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem. Bear in mind that's a steel rim and weighs 35 lbs. with a TW tire mounted, if weight's a factor on your project.

Thanks. Weight is a factor, but finding another 4.50x14" rim is obviously near impossible except for the TW200 :) I'd settle for a 3.50x14", but there is not a single other spoke rim on any production bike I can find in this size or close to other than the TW200.

I'm going to run a 160/60R14 on mine, not the TW's 180/80R14 so it should be a bit lighter. This tire is off a suzuki burgman 650.

According to the 2011 Yamaha.ca website, the TW200 has "Lightweight, aluminum alloy front and rear rims are fitted with street-legal, dual purpose tires."

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=3643&section=ft&group=M#contentTop

Perhaps the older models have the steel rear rim...?

Looking at photos of the 2006 and 2007 model, they have an aluminum colored rim (not black like the new models). This is what I'm going to try and find.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Nope. They're all painted steel to this day.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny. I just searched google and found 10+ sites, and they all say the TW200 has a aluminum front/rear rim. This includes the OFFICIAL Yamaha site!

Oh well, must be a detail that only the hardcore guys catch. Thanks for letting me know about this. I will still make it work, but its very good to know as I would otherwise be very surprised when it showed up.

Does anyone, perhaps in Japan, make an Aluminum aftermarket version of this rear rim?

Thanks,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also just checked stock/pricing on the TW200 rear tire and if I choose a 2006 model (with aluminum colored rear rim) and there is only 1 in stock in the entire USA! Plus, its also about $330!

The 2008-2010 rim is a different part number, its black, and has good stock from what I can tell, and it also costs $100 less at approx $200 retail.

Is there any difference between the rims other than color? I'd like silver, but it would be much cheaper if I had it sandblasted and powder coated silver, plus it would probably stand up better than the OEM paint.

Did any of the other year TW200's have aluminum colored rims other than the 2006-2007's?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Black rims have come and gone a couple of times over the years and I'm not sure which.

Maybe Sinophilia or someone else can fill you in on that. My '03 parts bike had them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black rims have come and gone a couple of times over the years and I'm not sure which.

Maybe Sinophilia or someone else can fill you in on that. My '03 parts bike had them.

From what I can find, the black are the more common rim.

Is there any difference between the 2011 rim and the 2006 rims in terms of technical properties (size, make, spoke count, anything other than cosmetic?) The part numbers are different, but I'm assuming its just the color changing.

Sinophilia, where are you

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
All rears fuctionally the same, '87-'11.

Fronts got discs in '01. Same rim, different center.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
2002 had silver rims. There is a website somewhere that has photos of all years (models) that should answer your question, but I'm traveling and the site is bookmarked on my other computer. A word of caution. Many folks confuse their model year with the year of manufacture. Often a bike is "made" in the year prior to its model year. Check the vin number and the year noted next to it carefully. Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Every TW rear rim I've seen is chrome on steel, but some are painted over the chrome.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I've ran through all the year from 1987 up to 2011, and it seems that most TW's have the silver rims what are twice as expensive as the black rims for some reason.

I'll post the list when I get home as to what year had what.

Thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
My rear wheel is steel. The magnet sticks to it.

My front wheel is aluminum. Magnet does NOT stick to it. I guess it could be some other material, but either way the magnet doesn't stick to it leading me to believe it's aluminum, as marketed by Yamaha. Unfortunately, they slipped in the rear rim as aluminum too.

This on my 2004 TW...

·
Registered
522 Posts
From what I can find, the black are the more common rim.

Is there any difference between the 2011 rim and the 2006 rims in terms of technical properties (size, make, spoke count, anything other than cosmetic?) The part numbers are different, but I'm assuming its just the color changing.

Sinophilia, where are you

Oops I am only seeing this thread two weeks later - sorry

AFAIK, all TW200 have silver rims, regardless of model year. But some TW225 have black rims, you may be able to order one from Yamaha... maybe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts