TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I have enjoy being a member of this forum. Seems recently I have not ridden my TW much and as well, not posted.

Over the past year, I have received a couple of e-mails concerning rear shock modifications. As I have a post that kind of outlines what others have done, I will share with you my 'personal opinion'. First off, I am not even close to being a competent off-road motorcyclist. I am an older fellow that enjoys exploring. Am slow, and appreciate comfort. I have had no problem taking the time to share my insights and opinions with others in the hope of making things a bit easier for them, or perhaps providing inspiration.

'Our' rear shock thread has lots of hints and ideas. If I recall correctly, virtually every rear shock mod made ended up being better than stock (given the opinion of the person doing the modification). We have used quad shocks like Banshee and Blaster. As well; more than a couple of folks have been very happy with big bike counter parts like Yamaha R-6 rears and as well, rear shocks off of older Yamaha V-Star.

As my "Rear-shock" thread suggests, and Lizardbreath's insights confirm, "YOU" need to take some responsibility in determining what modification will work best for you given you ridding style, modding ability and concern over personal safety.

Fully understand the action of "COIL BINDING", What this suggests is; should your spring and shock body not be matched from extension to full compression, should one (body or spring) fully compress without the other, YOUR SPINE WILL TAKE THE IMPACT............. ! This is NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN AS A 'SURPRISE'...

In my opinion, you need to know what you did (mismatch spring/shock body movement) and ride accordingly. To re-state; don't push the modified suspension to common sense limits. Should you think this suggestion to be silly, perhaps you can start looking for a cheap wheel chair; get the message.........

Please re-read the rear shock mod.. I have tried stock/V-Star/ and Banshee with Hyper-pro spring. I have been reasonably happy with all mods as they seem to be more controllable and as well, more comfortable than stock. Should I be new at the 'game', given what one poster provided, I would be inclined to try the Banshee body with the stock TW spring. As the shock thread suggested, a spacer is likely needed to make for matting stock spring to Banshee body (DOES NOTHING TO MINIMIZE COIL BINDING).
Take care. Gerry

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Yes, good to hear from you Gerry! I appreciate all you've contributed to this forum, and hope you'll continue to share your insights and opinions with us.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nice to hear from you Mr. Gizmow!

I feel like your post does a good job of pointing out the fact that it's a BAD IDEA to try modifying your stock rear suspension if you're not fully committed to doing your research or seeing it through properly. Or, if you're like me and just somewhat incompetent at that sort of thing!

Thank you for another substantive contribution to the forum.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Will definately save a few lives. Should be a mandatory public announcement to all new tw owners. Im a ex marine tech and when new boat owners would pick up there boat.I strongly advised them to take a boat owners safety course. Some did some didn't. I felt it was my duty to inform them. I always told them. Information is vital.and vital information is greatly appreciated. And this is vital information.should start a thread called. Staying alive. Have need to know facts for noobs. Good info gerry. Many thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Pro Cycle just came out with rear shock spring options for us!!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! If I had the tools to do this I'd have already ordered one of these from them!

Edit: Aaaaaand ordered!

Pro Cycle just came out with rear shock spring options for us!!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! If I had the tools to do this I'd have already ordered one of these from them!

Edit: Aaaaaand ordered!
Tell me how it works out. I'm 16 so I gotta save up for it a bit :D If it works as they say It will fit my riding needs pretty well.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Will do!

Surprisingly, my order has already shipped! A 19 for the back, and a pair of .70s for the front. I'm 235 - hopefully these will make things a little nicer.

Tell me how it works out. I'm 16 so I gotta save up for it a bit :D If it works as they say It will fit my riding needs pretty well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice! That is the same I want to go with. I will do the rear first though

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Can't wait to hear how the rear turns out... i have a pair of 60's for the front on my workbench now, need to find the time to install them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think it will become a popular mod with the tw from pro cycle. They offer a lot of great stuff to make these bikes even cooler then they were to start with, I plan on making mine a great trail bike and a way to cruise around town.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think it will become a popular mod with the tw from pro cycle. They offer a lot of great stuff to make these bikes even cooler then they were to start with, I plan on making mine a great trail bike and a way to cruise around town.
I am interested in this. I wonder how long the shock will last with the uprated spring? I assume if the spring is not too crazy stiff it should be ok but not ideal damping.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
gerry,
as mentioned thank you for your continued supply of knowledge and wisdom provided to this forum.

any chance you'll be able to come on the cow mountain round up? it would be great to get to meet you, and see your trusted steed "in the iron."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts