TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not stay away guys......dr650, drz400, husaberg fe390, and I had to come back to the TW, just such a damn good, fun bike as you all know. I promise ill keep this one now....wife forbids me to sell it, haha.

So i did all of my "usual" mods, and got the fork all setup proper with spacers and the oil level, but as we all know, the shock is kinda lacking, doing a climb up one of our fireroad hills and jumping the water bars, the front end is great, and the rear just smacks. I am ready to drop some coin for something to make the rear end better.

The 3 options I narrowed it down to are this:

Keep the stock shock, and buy the procycle spring......costs $139, plus ill have to buy a spring compressor at $25 from Rocky Mountain with my discount. I weigh in at 192lbs, so with gear a bit more, I do like to ride aggressive, so I am on the border between the white or red spring, I dont think i would mind having it a bit stiffer, so for $140 i would rather be safe than sorry, so I would probably opt for the 19kg spring unless you guys suggest the 15kg one. So that puts me in at $164 plus shipping for the spring and tool, plus the install time.

The second option is the popular Banshee or Blaster shock. I would like to think they have touch better valving, but realize they are sprung way light for our TW's, however they can be had pretty cheap between $30-60, and I am sure there are plenty of good used springs out there fairly cheap too, it would just be a matter of trying to find the right spring weight. I realize it will raise the rear end up the bike up a bit, and I am not opposed to that. I would like to eventually get the YZ80 fork tubes and raise the front too, but that project is ways away if it ever happens.

Anyone know what springs to look for on the ATV shocks? Whats your thoughts on going one way vs the other performance wise?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I went with the Baron 8523RD spring on a stock TW2000 shock.

As far as I can tell it's the same as the heavy Pro-Cycle spring, but half the price ($70 shipped on ebay).

https://baronscustom.com/catalog/display/570/index.html

I used Pro-Cycle's hydraulic press method to compress the spring, and it was pretty easy.

I'm 260lbs, but I do not ride aggressively. This spring (along with Pro-Cycles heavy duty front springs) makes my TW feel just right to me.

Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
The stock shock can be adjusted. It has 3 grooves cut into it and a circlip in one of them. (if you get down and look closely at the shock on the bike, you will see a empty groove below the circlip, you won't be able to see the top groove until you take it apart) It comes stock with the circlip in the middle one. It can be adjusted one step softer or one step stiffer. Try it on the next stiffer groove and then if that isn't enough, you can put a 3/8 inch spacer or so under it and reassemble it granting you an even stiffer option. If this isn't enough, buy a new heavier spring from Procycle. I think Admiral has a pic of a shock with a spacer installed... Admiral?

Tell us more LittleTommy

·
Registered
19,384 Posts
LT is speaking of increasing the pre-load on the stock spring.
Stock spring supposedly has a progressive spring rate but the transition from tight to loose spring coils seems abrupt and thus so does the ride. Abrupt is no good, like bottoming out prematurely. Soft low pressure balloon tires help absorb this abrupt transition since Yamaha only gives us a bit over 6" of travel to absorb all the energy.
Banshee shock body with a stiffer linear spring like from a Raptor can work. Shock throw needs a limiter added ( ~2.4 inches ) otherwise tire on full compression hits underside of seat pan and/or cross members depending on any swing arm extension.
Places like AutoZone offer a variety of free tool loans including spring compressors.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
The pre-2015 bikes came as LT says, three grooves decided by a washer/spacer – you have to compress the spring to adjust. Harder makes the bike a little taller, but it’s hardly noticeable. Post 2015/2016 Yamaha changed the design of the rear shock, this time with a more conventional adjuster, but again, to make adjustments, you need to compress the spring

There is little or no difference between the two styles of shock, so don’t go getting your hopes up – they’re still cheap and ineffective, and you still need to compress the spring in both cases - (the later style adjusts with a C spanner, the old style you need to withdraw the washer/spacer, and re-insert it into a new position)

We could probably find pics of both types, but they would add nothing to the discussion – one look at your own shock will tell you everything you need to know

If you are on an older bike, check the welds between the shock itself, and the top and bottom mounts (on the shock). In some cases these were tack welded, and prone to failure – the correct ones were seam welded all round – again, the difference will be obvious at first glance …..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Many of us have had good luck with OE shocks, fitted with a ProCycle spring.
Two spring rates available, depending weight of rider/with gear.
Lighter & stiffer than OE spring, better quality steel.
ProCycle sale this week end...$10 off.
Regular price $139.95.

http://https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html#suspension

"Lighter and stiffer than stock, these high quality straight rate springs are custom made specifically for the TW200. No adapter is needed! A proper rear spring will give a smoother more controlled ride. No more bottoming and better traction and confidence off-road. If you (with all your gear on!) weigh up to 220 lbs, you want the 15 kg/mm spring. 225 lbs and up will want the 19 kg/mm spring. ! Not for 2017 or newer models. Installation guide with photos."

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You may be waiting a while to hear back on any newer OEM mod options but in the mean time there are many threads on here related to using other rear shocks that should still fit like banshee, or blaster shocks etc.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/1084-rear-shock.html

Maybe someone knows the differences in the newer shock? It seems to me the overall spring dimensions are different so I don't think a spacer would make current aftermarket springs for the OEM shock fit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. Are there any rear suspension options for the newer model TW's?
For me (I have a 2019) and can’t use the procycle stiffer spring solution, so I’m checking with Worx out of Cali... called in February and said he should have all the templates and parts built to start reconstructing the tw200 custom shocks they used to make.

Other than that, banshee shocks, older tw shocks and slap a procycle spring in it...

·
Registered
19,384 Posts
...or new models can simply install a pre-2017 TW shock compatible with the ProCycle stiffer linear rate springs. Believe this is an affordable plug & play solution.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
For my weight and riding style the shocks are OK but bottom out on jumps and buck at high speed unless standing. I stand a lot. I'm going to have a look for this clip and try and stiffen it up the stock shock but I think it will reduce sag and still bottom out as frequently.

I plan to go to a taller fork 2-3", possibly add a emulator at some point, then experiement with the stock shock and clip, 2.5" extended swing arm maybe an R6 shock I have or mod the stock shock with the white spring from procycle.us.

Where I'm adding height as well I've got some playing around to do and it may take a while....

·
Registered
713 Posts
This is a great thread. For the TW, a stiffer Procycle rear spring, stiffer Procycle fork springs and proper oil level has brought this bike to full suspension potential for me. Could it be better? Of course, but I wouldn’t really be able to take advantage of it with this bike’s weight and engine size. If I wanted or needed more than I got from just changing these, I would do it, but at this point I am fairly confident that it would need more HP to take advantage of it. YMMV, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Im super happy with the banshee shock and the heaviest spring racetech makes for it. It has so much travel its just amazing. It literally adds 200 percent of pleasure to the ride and will make you a better rider as your rear wheel will be engaged with the ground more. I did this like five years ago andput thousands of trail miles on it and I can say its the best money and time ive spent!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts